• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just how close can a shave get?

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Kent, after I got a Merkur Futur and started shaving with it on the 1 setting, I thought "wow this is amazing!" and "how could I possibly get a closer shave, it is glass smooth already?!" Then I upped the setting to 2 and found out heh.

If you like your M3P, don't get irritation or ingrowns, and don't mind the cost of the cartridges, looks like you found your perfect shave. Proraso provides the best shaves I've ever had, and I am a member of SMF and B&B with a drawer filled with different creams and soaps.

Now I'm going to go back to watching the hawk eat at the dead possum in my neighbor's yard through the window.

This is one of my Top 5 posts ever.

I think it was the gratuitous insertion of "at" in the last sentence.

And, what the hell is wrong with his avatar?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The hawk finished all of the possum about half an hour before animal control got here. It was nice.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The hawk finished all of the possum about half an hour before animal control got here. It was nice.

Yes, yes.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd pay money to see that.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I was in a big rush shaving and I managed to get quite possible the closest shave ever. Instead of using my Merkur DE razor, I busted out the Mach III but I shaved in the shower and used a brush and the Vulfix luxury shaving cream. Basically, I got my face all wet with really warm water, soaked up the brush, put the cream on the brush, lathered up my face, shaved with the Mach III, rinsed the excess shave cream off, lathered up again and went at it one more time with the Mach III against the grain. The shave took me all of 5 minutes and it's pretty much the closes shave I've ever gotten - even closer than the DE razor. Go figure.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I need to find something. I've used Art of Shaving shave soaps, The Body Shop shave cream (real nice), Zirh shave cream, Trumper shave soap and Dr. Harris all with my Mach III turbo and Art of Shaving badger brush. My shaves have been adequate, I shave twice at a time, once with and once against the grain. Right after shaving, I run my hand against the grain and I feel hair. By 12:00-1:00 pm, I have a decent 5 o'clock shadow. I also shave my head the same way but that stays smooth all day. Will the Proraso be better or will the Merkur have a better effect.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Hi Ed Yeah im like that too - 5 oclock shadow joins me for lunch sometimes. Personal experience - I got a big jump in smoothness from switching to a DE, and increased uhhh longlastingness. 5 oclock shadow joining me for afternoon tea instead. I first bought a supermarket DE - plastic Gillette one - and yup immediate difference was noted. Then stumbled across a cheapy metal one in Thailand and bought that, and then got the Merkur recently when I was in England. My opinion - the $100 Merkur isnt shaving me noticeably better than the 30 cent plastic Gillette DE - so if your supermarket has those, suggest picking one up and testing it out to see if DE makes the difference for you. Hell, I'll mail you one if you want it, they are so cheap and have really cool pictures on the back to show you how to use it (it ends with a smiling cartoon woman touching the face of her handsomely shaved hero
smile.gif
). Anyhow, if you find the DE shave smoother, then upgrade to a Merkur or similar later... Now, flipside....it takes a long time to shave with the DE. My Power M3 still get used when I am running crazy late and just shave in the shower etc. The other thing, which I posted in another thread, is that if I spent 15-20 mins playing search-and-destroy with the M3 in front of a well lit enlarging shaving mirror (as I do with the DE), rather than just running it all over my face and then running out the door, then maybe it would be just as effective.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I need to find something. I've used Art of Shaving shave soaps, The Body Shop shave cream (real nice), Zirh shave cream, Trumper shave soap and Dr. Harris all with my Mach III turbo and Art of Shaving badger brush. My shaves have been adequate, I shave twice at a time, once with and once against the grain. Right after shaving, I run my hand against the grain and I feel hair. By 12:00-1:00 pm, I have a decent 5 o'clock shadow. I also shave my head the same way but that stays smooth all day. Will the Proraso be better or will the Merkur have a better effect.

i suggest you try an electric. i recommend a braun.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Hi Ed

(it ends with a smiling cartoon woman touching the face of her handsomely shaved hero
smile.gif
).

If I had a nickel everytime this happened to me..............

I am going to try the DE. Why does it take that much longer though? I thought I would just shave like I do with a Gillette. As it is, I get up from bed about twenty minutes from when I have to leave so I hope the DE isn't going to take away some of my very valuable sleep time.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had a nickel everytime this happened to me.............. I am going to try the DE. Why does it take that much longer though? I thought I would just shave like I do with a Gillette. As it is, I get up from bed about twenty minutes from when I have to leave so I hope the DE isn't going to take away some of my very valuable sleep time.
It will not after you get used to it. I can shave in 15 minutes, comprehensively without rushing. Just remember, short strokes. I should also add that I only started in February using a DE. And I have to work around facial hair which complicates things for me.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had a nickel everytime this happened to me..............

I am going to try the DE. Why does it take that much longer though? I thought I would just shave like I do with a Gillette. As it is, I get up from bed about twenty minutes from when I have to leave so I hope the DE isn't going to take away some of my very valuable sleep time.

I don't know if this is just me but, it takes me ALOT longer with the DE because I have to go all slow and be careful. With the Mach III I shave in the shower and it takes me about 5 minutes because I do long strokes from the top of my cheek to the bottom of my neck. With the DE I have to go much slower to make sure I don't gash my face open and I have to take shorter strokes. With the DE it takes me at least 20 minutes compared to 5 minutes with the Mach 3.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's the DE at the chin? Are gashes common? How about under the nose?
I have never gashed myself. I should mention that last week I shaved my goatee off for the first time in months. My hair was so coarse that even the Feather blades would stumble *ouch* I ended up with some nicks becuase my hair there grows in every conceivable direction. Under the nose is easy. Just go upwards gently (for me that is against the grain). P.s. I have sort of worked out a method of shaving depending on when I need to shave. The shaves are closer with a DE so I either shave before I go to bed or in the mornings. My morning shaves are usually faster and I use Proraso (Green) that has a cooling effect and that wakes me up quite effectively. If I do it at night, I use one of the floral creams, like Trumper's Violet. Incredibly relaxing and I just take my time enjoying the shave (yes that is possible!
thumbs-up.gif
). I did use Trumper's Rose this morning though, felt like smelling something nice during the procedure. Oh, and using a "Moss Scuttle" has helped cut down on my shaving time as it keeps the lather warm (or even hot) the whole time, thus making it easier to shave.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads