• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Just how close can a shave get?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
May 5, 2005
Messages
5,835
Reaction score
1,383
By using Proraso shaving cream and an M3Power, shaving once with and once against the grain, I'm able to achieve a shave that is totally smooth to the touch -- that is to say, by running my hand over my face I cannot distinguish which parts are shaved and which parts naturally have no hair -- and with no ingrown hairs or post-shave irritation. Visually, however, it's possible to see that my mustache area has a "shadow" from the recessed roots of hairs. But if I can't feel any hairs by touch how could a better razor possibly achieve a closer shave?
 

Englandmj7

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2006
Messages
761
Reaction score
1
I found out ALOT about shaving by visiting the Badgerandblade.com forum. The members are EXTREMELY helpful and my god do they love shaving (as you would imagine). There are many products you could try; for instance, certain shaving creams do well to soften the hairs more so than conventional gel/spray creams and can provide much easier/smoother/closer cutting. A badger brush, which you should ALWAYS use softens hair and in essence, "stands them up" so they are easier to cut in that you can get right at the base with most hairs. I would also recommend a Merkur safety razor, which with practice, will give you a noticeably closer shave; not to mention you can buy 100 premium blades for it for under $20.

I do see what you mean, and I guess even with certain products, you will not be getting an infinitely better shave, but I have seen my "shadow" decrease a little since using these methods.

 

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
17,820
Reaction score
1,213
Kent, after I got a Merkur Futur and started shaving with it on the 1 setting, I thought "wow this is amazing!" and "how could I possibly get a closer shave, it is glass smooth already?!" Then I upped the setting to 2 and found out heh.

If you like your M3P, don't get irritation or ingrowns, and don't mind the cost of the cartridges, looks like you found your perfect shave. Proraso provides the best shaves I've ever had, and I am a member of SMF and B&B with a drawer filled with different creams and soaps.

Now I'm going to go back to watching the hawk eat at the dead possum in my neighbor's yard through the window.
 
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
11,179
Reaction score
114
yeah I was the same. Thought my M3Power was like 'wow, so close' - then I bought a cheap DE ('wow so close')...then I bought a slightly more expensive DE ('wow so close'), and now Im on the lookout on forthcoming Paris trip to go closer again. That said Kent, with you being, you know, all Asian n stuff, you will likely have less to battle genetically than we hairy lao wai.
 

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2003
Messages
4,458
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
By using Proraso shaving cream and an M3Power, shaving once with and once against the grain, I'm able to achieve a shave that is totally smooth to the touch -- that is to say, by running my hand over my face I cannot distinguish which parts are shaved and which parts naturally have no hair -- and with no ingrown hairs or post-shave irritation. Visually, however, it's possible to see that my mustache area has a "shadow" from the recessed roots of hairs. But if I can't feel any hairs by touch how could a better razor possibly achieve a closer shave?

live with it. a little 'shadow' is good for you.
 

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2003
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
66
Originally Posted by [email protected]
yeah I was the same.

Thought my M3Power was like 'wow, so close' - then I bought a cheap DE ('wow so close')...then I bought a slightly more expensive DE ('wow so close'), and now Im on the lookout on forthcoming Paris trip to go closer again.

That said Kent, with you being, you know, all Asian n stuff, you will likely have less to battle genetically than we hairy lao wai.

white devils?
 

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
6,324
Reaction score
4
It can get pretty damn close. For years I used a Sensor Excel. February I switched to a Merkur HD. Great change, closer and much less burn. Then I got some Feather blades for it last week. DAMN! What a difference.
 

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
17,820
Reaction score
1,213
I have decided starting tomorrow, I am going to stop shaving and see how long I can go (unless of course something comes up, like a job interview). It is going to be nasty and uncomfortable, but I bet I could at least do 5 days.
 

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2004
Messages
9,464
Reaction score
18
Your avatar is freaking the hell out of me
 

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
8,739
Reaction score
43
I want to start using a DE razor to shave figuring this will get me a better and closer shave when I ran into a problem. What kind of store sells shaving equipment? The only thing the supermarket has is Mach 3 Turbo and $3 shaving cream. I couldn't even find a shaving brush, nevermind a DE razor and high quality shaving cream, and for the life of me, I can't figure out what kind of store sells this stuff.
 

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2003
Messages
4,458
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by odoreater
I want to start using a DE razor to shave figuring this will get me a better and closer shave when I ran into a problem. What kind of store sells shaving equipment? The only thing the supermarket has is Mach 3 Turbo and $3 shaving cream. I couldn't even find a shaving brush, nevermind a DE razor and high quality shaving cream, and for the life of me, I can't figure out what kind of store sells this stuff.
look for a shaver store (seriously). also, try a cutlery store. they often have the razors and brushes. DE blades can be found in many drugstores, pharmacies, and liquor stores. (they have many uses besides shaving.) if all else fails: classicshaving.com edit: they also sell razors and brushes at old fashioned tobacco shops. the kind of place that would carry high end pipes, lighters, etc...
 

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
17,820
Reaction score
1,213
Those are great sources, also don't forget www.qedusa.com. Charles will promptly answer any questions you might have about shaving (or tea).


DE blades can be bought at most drug stores and Walmart, I buy mine from howard1616 on ebay. 100 Derby brand blades for around 20 bucks. (I find the quality of Derby to be exceptional.)
 

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
8,739
Reaction score
43
Thanks fellas. I'm about to order a badger brush and some Vulvix luxury shaving cream in lavendar.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 129 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 236 31.8%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 118 15.9%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 67 9.0%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 46 6.2%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.1%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.8%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 16 2.2%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 6 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 48 6.5%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,614
Messages
9,221,018
Members
193,568
Latest member
Mansell
Top