• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just had the best burger in Manhattan.....

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, so a "provacative" thread title, but I was just trying to get some attention. Please be aware that this post will be filled with what seems to be double entendres and that I realize that everyone has their own "best" burger place in Manhattan. Anyway...........

Burgers in Manhattan, like pizza, usually suck. You'd think it would not be so hard to get a good piece of meat between two quality buns, but it's like some sort of dysfunction. Today, I had a great burger. And by burger, I do not mean the short rib and foie gras concoctions that are peddled for $75 at some restaurants, I mean a high quality sirloin/chuck burger, at a democratic price, which you can take with you if need be. I've had burgers at the Burger Joint in Le Parker Meridian, the burger at some place (Corner Bistro maybe) in the village, from Nick's etc and they all seem to lack some good meat flavor. When I put the meat in my mouth, I want to taste the meat and it's natural juices.

Zaitzeff (I went to the one in midtown) has good meat. I think they are a financial district mainstay, but I have not been down there in years. They offer a sirloin and a "kobe" burger,in 1/4 and 1/2 pound increments, along with some other vegeterian crap, like turkey and veggie burgers and a chicken breast sandwich, menu is quite spartan. They have fresh/natural potato and sweet potato fries. The meat is grass fed. I went with the 1/4 sirloin, the 1/2 pound is too much meat for me to handle. Ordered it plain, no dressing. Comes on a nicely toasted bun, might be egg based. Cooked perfectly, very juicy. The meat had a wonderful "meaty taste" and it looked like coarsely ground beef, not a brown sponge. My only issue with it was that it was no salted at all. I can't recall the last burger I've had that was salted properly. The fries, skin on, were very tasty as well. Crispy on the outside, white and creamy on the inside, and actually tasting of potato. Also, not salted (here a plus), most places salt their fries like they own stock in manufacturers of high blood pressure medication. I would rank these guys above the others I mentioned and look forward to going back.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will check it out...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Were you the bald guy near the window?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Burgers in Manhattan, like pizza, usually suck.
eh.gif

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lookaround.gif
(note to self: next time go downtown)

When is your next appointment with Carl? I hope to see you there.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Burger Joint and Corner Bistro are really good on their best days...I think i'll shoot downtown for lunch this week to try this place out. Thanks.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lookaround.gif

I'll keep my eye out for a well dressed bald man at the FiDi Zaitzeff.

I've never tried as I usually go with Burger Burger (tasty, large burger with some damn good cajun fries for around $11).

I heard some good things about the burger at Rare; can anyone confirm/deny? I think they're more of a fancy/schmancy burger type place though...truffle oils, rib eye burgers, and such.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that place (john/nassau interseection?) just turns me off (locale & miniscule space), but i've heard good things. iv'e ahd some good ones at stand, and go to knickerbocker as my default bar burger. if i ever see a well-dressed bald man w/ his own rubirosa i will be sure to squeeze myself in.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lookaround.gif

lookaround.gif
(note to self: use Geneva for shirts)

Noted and noted.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can we start a twitter network for spotting Edmorel?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
Can we start a twitter network for spotting Edmorel?

You're not on the distro list?

CrazyJ

Reaction score
That sounds very similar to an excellent burger joint in Tampa called Square One. They specialize in just burgers, and all different sorts of meats. Angus, chicken, ostrich, bison, and, as you mentioned, kobe beef. I've tried a couple, an angus with gruyere cheese and three different kinds of mushrooms which was ******* phenomenal, and the kobe, which was one of the best I've ever had. 1/4lb. kobe with sweet potato fries (which are THE ****, it's hard to go back after you have them lol) for $14.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
that place (john/nassau interseection?) just turns me off (locale & miniscule space), but i've heard good things. iv'e ahd some good ones at stand, and go to knickerbocker as my default bar burger. if i ever see a well-dressed bald man w/ his own rubirosa i will be sure to squeeze myself in.

I just don't like the fact that they shred the lettuce. That's terrible IMO. I've heard good things about knickerboker, best of all i think it may 24 hours? or at least open late enough for me to stumble into to get some decent eats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads