• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just had the best burger in Manhattan.....

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I kinda agree with ed here - there is some awesome pizza in NYC but there's also a million places selling terrible pizza. Pretty much 100% (maybe slightly more) of the pizza places that serve by the slice are just plain awful.

you guys are spoiled. Come to westchester, eat a couple of slices from random places and you'll come to appreciate nyc by the slice. And with a little research in nyc, you can find a decent slice in just about every neighborhood (where decent is defined as better than most of the other by slice places).

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marco_rol
I used to live near the burger joint at the Meridian and ate there several times. I was underwhelmed. So my wife and I decided to go through various lists of "best burger" places in NYC. We tried about 14-15 I think over a few months. My favorites were BRGR (on 7th btw 26th & 27th I think) and Stand on 12th off Union Square.

BRGR?

I had it once and it was the most underwhelming burger I can recall having in the last 3 years. They try to sell you on the grass fed beef, quality ingredients and RIDICULOUS pricing which may make you feel like you're going to get a damn good meal. I thought the burger was bland, the sandwich itself was minuscule, and the fries were just ok. The price was stupid expensive for the level of satisfaction received. Also, the workers there messed up my order (seriously, medium with lettuce, onion, and cheddar cheese...is it that hard?!) which didn't help. I promised I'd never be back and I haven't since.

Zaitzeff > Burger Burger > 5 Napkin Burger > Shake Shack > Burger Shoppe >>>> BRGR imo.

highball

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
BRGR?
Zaitzeff > Burger Burger > 5 Napkin Burger > Shake Shack > Burger Shoppe >>>> BRGR imo.

Where does corner bistro fit in to your ranking?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
you guys argue about burgers and pizza, I have to argue with myself about whether I like this Korean pizza with canned corn on it, or the other Korean pizza with canned corn on it.
frown.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i've never had it myself, and it's not manhattan, but my brother raves about the burgers that can be had on sundays at petah looguhzz.

it's probably just the week's leftovers, but the meat is high quality enough. the price is supposedly reasonable too. sorry if this is a n00b reco. i'm not from NYC.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
i've never had it myself, and it's not manhattan, but my brother raves about the burgers that can be had on sundays at petah looguhzz.

it's probably just the week's leftovers, but the meat is high quality enough. the price is supposedly reasonable too. sorry if this is a n00b reco. i'm not from NYC.

I've heard that too - but like every rave review that has the words Peter and Luger in it, I took them with a big grain of salt.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I've heard that too - but like every rave review that has the words Peter and Luger in it, I took them with a big grain of salt.

i think they might be available all week, but just at lunch?
confused.gif
i've never been, the place just sounds too demeaning.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
U guys seen Ed anywhere today?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
does luger have a bad rep amongst foodies and big-timers? or does that go for all steakhouses? i've never been, but i do enjoy a big juicy steak every now and then, pleb that i am.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does luger have a bad rep amongst foodies and big-timers? or does that go for all steakhouses? i've never been, but i do enjoy a big juicy steak every now and then, pleb that i am.

No it doesn't. Luger is very good. It just has this weird halo of sanctity around it (the best ever) which is very often overstated. It may have been the case 10 years ago but there's now 5 or 6 steak houses in the city that are as good (or better IMO) and where one does not have to endure crappy service and decor.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
ah, thanks. as i said, i haven't been, but i suppose it's vaguely on the list of places i'd like to try in NYC. Maybe not now. I have walked past it and was a bit
eh.gif
when i saw the decor.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah, thanks. as i said, i haven't been, but i suppose it's vaguely on the list of places i'd like to try in NYC. Maybe not now. I have walked past it and was a bit
eh.gif
when i saw the decor.

Well if you ever decide to go, make sure to stop at an ATM (or two) before.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh god it's cash only? Ugh.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh god it's cash only? Ugh.
Cash only and not cheap either. Hence the success of Wolfgang and other Luger replicas that are in Manhattan and accept credit cards, all while serving the exact same menu.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads