• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just got my PBJ-XX05's...what to do now?

bsyde82

Reaction score
I got a size 30...and they fit pretty much dead on right now...I was planning to soak them as suggested by various members of this forum and superfuture but im afraid i wont be able to even close these jeans after they dry...is soaking them before wearing absolutely necessary?

and what about hemming? i dont like to cuff...and i like a lil stack but not THAT much...is it ok to get these hemmed ala pre-distressed jeans?

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's not absolutely necessary, but you will need to wash these eventually. the good thing is that they will almost certainly stretch back to prewash state if necessary, especially if you put them on while they're wet. if you got your jeans from Blue in Green you can get them chainstitched (specific type of hem) for free. However, if you're not near a place that can chainstich (there are only a few), then you will have to get a normal hem. Unfortunately, a normal hem will get rid of the chainstitch. If that's not important to you then go right ahead. Keep in mind that the jeans shrink about 2 inches in length and that is length you can't get back.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
After you soak them, wear them around when they're damp until they're dry. They will stretch a whole lot easier like that than if you just let them dry on their own and then tried to wear them to stretch. They will probably shrink 1-2 inches in the inseam. Mine have been soaked once and are about a 33" inseam. Definitely wear around damp to make sure they don't shrink too much on you.

digital_denim

Big Lose
Reaction score
just make sure you can button them up easily right now. If not, wear them around a couple of days to stretch them out a bit. Then you can soak and wear damp. They may shrink up to unbuttonable size if you don't stretch them out enough.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was awesome! Instead of flaming this dude, y'all took a few extra seconds out of your evening to give him a little advice about a major purchase he's a little unsure about. They can have their Future; I loves my Steez.
inlove.gif
Well done men.

P.S. Although it does sound like this guy is kind of screwed; too late to exchange for one size up?

Brian SD

Reaction score
LOL Bona, 100% of the people who responded here are SuFu posters more than they are Steez posters, except maybe Chronoaug.. I think he posts her emore.
smile.gif

tljenkin

Reaction score
I would personally suggest returning them immediately without making any alterations (including a soak) if they fit perfectly. Size up one (or possibly two, depending on the fit you're going for) and then soak then when you recieve them. Have Gordon hem the new pair to about 1-2 inches longer than you want them to be before sending them to you. You cannot buy unsaforized jeans without compensating for shinkage...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tljenkin
You cannot buy unsaforized jeans without compensating for shinkage...

unless you only plan to dryclean, which I'm sure 99.88% of buyers arent gonna do

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
LOL Bona, 100% of the people who responded here are SuFu posters more than they are Steez posters, except maybe Chronoaug.. I think he posts her emore.
smile.gif

Yup, but if this had happened over there...

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tljenkin
I would personally suggest returning them immediately without making any alterations (including a soak) if they fit perfectly. Size up one (or possibly two, depending on the fit you're going for) and then soak then when you recieve them. Have Gordon hem the new pair to about 1-2 inches longer than you want them to be before sending them to you. You cannot buy unsaforized jeans without compensating for shinkage...

What tljenkin says here is probably your best bet, but if you can't return the jeans, you're not screwed. The PBJs will stretch quite a bit. Soaking them (in hot, for a few hours at least, and keep the water hot to maximize the shrinking) and then wearing them when damp is still your best course of action if a return for a size 31 is out of the question.

tljenkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
unless you only plan to dryclean, which I'm sure 99.88% of buyers arent gonna do

And plan to never go outside on a cloudy (or sunny, just to be safe) day.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree with tljenkin. My PBJs fit perfectly when I bought them and after I soaked them they were small but they stretched out fine. My Onis were tighter presoak than post soak. Manipulation of fit is very possible with unsanforized denim.

tljenkin

Reaction score
If you are caught in a rain storm or sprayed with water, they will shrink a lot.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
They'll shrink a bit from rain, a bit more from the soak. But if you don't do any hot washes or hot soaks, they really won't shrink a ton. Especially if you wear them while damp like i mentioned above until they're dry. If you do that they should stretch out close to where you had them. I'm actually a half size down on my PBJs and despite my thread about them a week or two ago, they're fitting a bit better now. Still a bit tight in the crotch area but that's just the jeans. Wetting the waist band helped as did walking a lot more in them. It's hard for low rise, really tight to ever be loose or pajama substitutes, but they're fine. I'm probably gonna get a pair of APCs for something lighter and a bit higher in the rise to have as a second pair.

Just wear them dry until they start to stink or get a stain and them wash them. When the time comes in a few months, just wash them cold in the washer or in your tub(inside out especially for the washer) and then wear them damp and walk to the store or something. Especially after all the wear you'll put on them before they shouldn't shrink to unwearable.

Don't worry if you do soak them now and they're too tight/uncomfortable for you. Because you can get most of your money back by selling them here or on sufu.

On a side note, either tljenkin or Brian need to change their avatar. I'm too lazy to actually read the usernames, so i just look at avatars unless there is none. You guys are costing me valuable seconds of my life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics