• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just got my new Standards

Dill

Reaction score
Dill,

The New Standards is the UNISEX model.
If you get the other one it may not be the same thing.
Maybe the other one is washed.
The New Standards I found were washed so I was confused. Thanks for clarifying

Dill

Reaction score
I have been reading up on these jeans, and apparently they are about three sizes too big. Do they shrink this much when you wash them or should you order three sizes smaller than what you usually do?

Brian SD

Reaction score
They shrink a *little* on the waist, and a little more on the length (up to 2 -inches depending on your laundering process). The best advice I can give is to order 2 sizes down for a proper fit on the waist.

rearviewmirror

Reaction score
seriously 2 sizes down?

since im a 30 in gto -- i would be a 28 in standards? damn...

Brian SD

Reaction score
Yep. Some people have ordered one size down and they've still been way too big. Refer to the Jeans Measurements index - Geowu posted the measurements of his APC Rescues, and the sizing ratio is pretty much the same. BTW - Thanks for that link Geowu - I love the "Leather Piping Warret"
smile.gif

benchan

Reaction score
Refer to the Jeans Measurements index - Geowu posted the measurements of his APC Rescues, and the sizing ratio is pretty much the same

I can understand if it is low waist model like English, but the new standard is supposed to have regular waist according the website, so why the extra 2-3 inches on the waist? There is no size label on the outside of the APC jeans, so people aren't exacting trying to fool others into thinking that they have a smaller waist like Jerry Seinfeld.

As an aside, can someone recommend some jeans that have 1) regular waist 2) reasonably wide leg(thigh area) at a small waist size with room in the butt and a slight boot cut 3) good quality denim that is not too heavy and doesn't cost over $130USD. Thanks. P.S. I don't quite "get" why some male choose to wear very low waist jeans and pair it up with a long/oversize shirts or Tees. It makes their legs much shorter visually.

Geowu

Reaction score
It seems that the English cut (or Anglaise, which is being replaced by Rescue) with 1 size down, whereas the New Standards (or Unisex) and the Rescues with around 3 sizes down unwashed or 2 sizes down after being washed. Have no idea why they do this. They are sanforized so they won't shrink much. Also, they can stretch up to 1.5" in the waist with prolonged wear/no washes. Maybe they like to wear the jeans with a loose waist
wow.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
The "low waist" thing on the Rescues is a little .. off. The new standards rise is lower. Don't know why the website says otherwise, but the measurements speak the truth. I have a feeling that they call the unisex rise to be not low or not high is because they are unisex jeans, and the rise is a little higher compared to many womens jeans. For ladies, "low rise" often means less than 7 inches. For men, "low rise" means 9.5-10.5 inches.

Brian SD

Reaction score
As an aside, can someone recommend some jeans that have 1) regular waist 2) reasonably wide leg(thigh area) at a small waist size with room in the butt and a slight boot cut 3) good quality denim that is not too heavy and doesn't cost over $130USD. Thanks. P.S. I don't quite "get" why some male choose to wear very low waist jeans and pair it up with a long/oversize shirts or Tees. It makes their legs much shorter visually.

I think Edwin is a pretty good choice for this, although I'm not sure personally if they make any with a boot cut. If you don't mind unwashed denim, I would say that APC Rescue is pretty much exactly what you want.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
I'm gonna disagree with regard to sizing down 3 in the APC Standards. I sized down 1 size, 1.5 from my actual waist measurement. The jeans fit great.

I'm wearing them for the first time right now.

I did, however, have the advantage of buying them in person, and so I was able to try them on.

Dan

Brian SD

Reaction score
I'm gonna disagree with regard to sizing down 3 in the APC Standards.  I sized down 1 size, 1.5 from my actual waist measurement.  The jeans fit great.

I'm wearing them for the first time right now.

I did, however, have the advantage of buying them in person, and so I was able to try them on.

Dan
Cool.

It has a lot to do with what size you normally wear. A *lot* of guys buy waist sizes at least one or two sizes big, thinking "Oh my size is 36" when they should be wearing a 34, and then when they buy the APCs which are significantly larger in the waist, they'll need to go down 3 sizes from their normal size to get the right fit.

Nothing wrong with buying a size up to get a loose fit, but if you do it with APC, they're gonna be damn loose.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
So when's the LAG/ringring cage match? The classic matchup: a sticker vs. a grappler. Yeah I been watching way too much UFC lately....

and I'm drunk.

ringring

Reaction score
ringring,

Welcome - I've always enjoyed reading your posts on the Superfutures forums.  Hoe you like it here and decide to stay.

Thanks for the welcome LA Guy. Honored to be here and look forward to learning from you all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads