• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just got my first suit!

suitfish

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just got my first suit and I had a couple of questions. First off, I was wondering what you guys thinking about it and what needs to be fixed? I was thinking about bringing the waste in a little more, but many people have told me it looks good the way it is. Also, I was wondering how does one care for a suit?

B|aze

Reaction score
You need better pictures. Front and back shot with you not holding the camera.

But it looks ok. But it's imposible to say anything about the waist because of your posture.
The length seems fine, although the button stance seems a bit high....but again

Is it black? :nest:

As for care, if it's 100% wool you just need to air it out after wear and don't use it two days straight..and don't spill on it.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is black and it is short. Not fixable by SF standard.:slayer:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah it is short. General rule of thumb is the rule of thumb.
Put your arms straight down and if jacket ends at your thumb, it is a good size.

Also not sure if your sleeve is to long or not since your pictures are varying in that department.

You posted 4 pictures with similar poses that do not tell us much with bad lighting.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah it is short. General rule of thumb is the rule of thumb.
Put your arms straight down and if jacket ends at your thumb, it is a good size.

Also not sure if your sleeve is to long or not since your pictures are varying in that department.

You posted 4 pictures with similar poses that do not tell us much with bad lighting.

To the OP, go outside, make use of your iPhone's self-timer, or better still get someone else to take the pictures for you. Self shooting indoors with a mirror is rarely satisfactory.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The coat is far too short which is about all that can be deduced from these dreadful photographs. I would suggest that you follow the suggestiopns on this latter. However a little work on your part by 'searching' would obviate the need to be asking such questions. With so few posts to your credit it seems off to expect others to do your work for you.

Pendulum

Reaction score

The coat is far too short which is about all that can be deduced from these dreadful photographs. I would suggest that you follow the suggestiopns on this latter. However a little work on your part by 'searching' would obviate the need to be asking such questions. With so few posts to your credit it seems off to expect others to do your work for you.

This, and don't button the bottom button on your suit.

benny

Reaction score
I think the length is a bit short, does it have a chest pocket? It would look good with one and a handkerchief with a similar color or shade as the tie.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the good:

sleeve length looks ok
shoulders don't look hideous, but its hard to tell from the pics
ummm the pants seem ok

the bad:

well...everything else

Jacket too short
jacket too wide/doesn't appear to have much taper
button stance is too high
its black

and dude, clean your mirror. I thought peter north let loose on your shoulder in the first pic.

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The coat is too short. Hard to tell anything else with these pictures.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads