• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just got back from the premiere of Indiana Jones 4... caution-spoilers

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Slightly OT: The train Indy and the Russian guy rode got me curious and so I looked it up...
749pxrocketsledtracktrima8.jpg
stappsledkw5.jpg
The rocket sled was developed by John Paul Stapp who gets my vote as having the biggest set of balls ever for strapping himself to a rail mounted carriage with rocket(s) strapped on the back, going as fast as 35Gs, and then trying to decelerate as fast as his acceleration. Here's another article on Stapp.
But while his first run had involved "no unpleasant sensations", the later runs were torturous. Even at low Gs the straps of Stapp's harness dug painfully into his shoulders. At higher ranges of acceleration and deceleration, they cracked his ribs. Over the course of the tests at Edwards, he suffered a number of concussions, lost a few dental fillings and dinged his collarbone. On a couple of other occasions, he broke his wrist. Being a physician and a bit of a stoic, he set one fracture on his way back to his office. Out of all the things Stapp was subjected to, the most disturbing (concussions aside) was blurry vision, which he began experiencing while facing backwards at speeds above 18 Gs. The cause was intuitively obvious. Blood was rapidly leaving his eyeballs and pooling towards the back of his head in response to gravity, resulting in a "white out." During later tests, when he faced forwards and the blood was pushed up against his retinas, Stapp would experience "red outs" caused by broken capillaries and hemorrhaging. Clearly, when it came to G forces the most vulnerable part of human anatomy were the eyes.
But I don't think they placed that sled in Area 51.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
just back. Movie sucked.

I was able to suspend disbelief and roll with it as an inferior but functional chapter, until the big ******* flying saucer emerged...at which point I wished it would suck me out of the theatre and leave me in "The Space Between The Space"...and where do we go from there?

A wedding scene.

I threw a little popcorn up in my mouth.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
just back. Movie sucked.

I was able to suspend disbelief and roll with it as an inferior but functional chapter, until the big ******* flying saucer emerged...at which point I wished it would suck me out of the theatre and leave me in "The Space Between The Space"...and where do we go from there?

A wedding scene.

I was kinda glad they went full monty with the flying saucer. Once we saw the aliens -- which I wish we hadn't -- they might as well go with the full B-movie kaboodle. And I liked the retro saucer design.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I own the first 3 on both DVD and VHS. I have all 18(?) episodes of Young Indiana Jones. I love all of them. The new one sucked, I hated it. The actual legend surrounding the crystal skulls had far more potential than what they did with it. Way too X-Files for me. Sorry, if this has been covered already.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got back. I like it quite a lot. I liked it because it was a total mega-1950s feature with the big bugaboos: Commies and aliens. Awesome.

And it was so over the top in places it was just funny. A lot of fun.

b

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
I own the first 3 on both DVD and VHS. I have all 18(?) episodes of Young Indiana Jones. I love all of them. The new one sucked, I hated it. The actual legend surrounding the crystal skulls had far more potential than what they did with it. Way too X-Files for me. Sorry, if this has been covered already.
Seriously, how much better were some of the Young Indy eps compared to that piece of crap? Did any of them go sci-fi? Was there ever ANY NEED???

pstoller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Seriously, how much better were some of the Young Indy eps compared to that piece of crap? Did any of them go sci-fi? Was there ever ANY NEED???
The "need" had to do with the shift in popular literature from the pulp era into the "golden age" of sci-fi. Given Lucas' and Spielberg's respective pedigrees, it was almost impossible for them not to go there. It would doubtless have worked better if the sci-fi were more in keeping with 1950s literary and visual style than with Close Encounters… and ET—a nod to Star Wars would have been more fitting—but there actually was a point to it.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Caught a special sneak preview showing last weekend (it doesn't officially open here until the end of the month). God, it was awful. Too many things about the plot were just nonsensical or inconsistent, and frankly a lot of it was just boring.

orlagu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
just back. Movie sucked.

A wedding scene.

Ha ha.
Have you noticed that those scripts translators did a terrible (or should I say wonderful) job
devil.gif
. No Russia, no Order of Lenin, no comrades, no nothing communist related...

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by orlagu
Ha ha.
Have you noticed that those scripts translators did a terrible (or should I say wonderful) job
devil.gif
. No Russia, no Order of Lenin, no comrades, no nothing communist related...

My wife is fluent in Russian and she said they did a pretty good job with the language. She even said Blanchett's accent wasn't bad.

orlagu

Reaction score
Actually I was mentioning the Vietnamese translation
blush.gif
, since both m@T and I currently reside in Saigon, Vietnam.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
anybody saw or rented The Bucket List?

very good movie. i loved it.

Saw it on the plane lasat Saturday... have to say I'm disagreeing with you on this one, Brian. That movie made my transpacific coach class experience worse than it is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads