• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Just got $1000.00... what to do with it?

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
My grandmother's estate is finally settled and I got $1000.00 this morning.
So tell me, what to do with it! I don't plan on having kids, so no need for college savings. I am still young (21) and in college, but I have no bills since I am in the military. And I am going active duty, so no real need to save for a house. Thoughts?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have an interest and the motivation, I would start investing in the stock market.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
If you have an interest and the motivation, I would start investing in the stock market.
I agree. Buy stocks with high dividend yields such as CXO or JNJ.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whores.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
put away $500 into some sort of long term savings and then go play with the other $500. if you have 500 you'll spend 500, if you have 1000, you'll spend 1000... see how that works. so enjoy/blow the 500 but still be responsible by saving something for later.

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
put away $500 into some sort of long term savings and then go play with the other $500. if you have 500 you'll spend 500, if you have 1000, you'll spend 1000... see how that works. so enjoy/blow the 500 but still be responsible by saving something for later.

Would you recommend just putting it in my normal savings account? Or perhaps one of those high-yield savings accounts? Such as... Emigrant Direct (1%), Ally (1.09%), etc? I have seen this accounts at over 6% pre-recession....

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
put it in an index fund and forget about it for 10 years.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cahlersmeyer
Would you recommend just putting it in my normal savings account? Or perhaps one of those high-yield savings accounts? Such as... Emigrant Direct (1%), Ally (1.09%), etc? I have seen this accounts at over 6% pre-recession....

oh I'm no finance dude. all I meant was that whenever i get money coming in, I always take a portion off the top and put it away into a mid-long term saving of sorts. if it's regular income then i take maybe about 10-15%, and if it's something like this taht's just a bonus then I'd take half. that way I can sleep easy knowing I'm being responsible about saving something and can relax and just blow the rest on whatever I want. I've also found that desires expand to their budgets... so if you have a free $500, then that's what you'll spend and if you have $1000, then you'll spend all that. but it's the same act/fulfillment of just spending and getting something, so why waste the extra $500?

as for where/how to invest, I don't know. I assume you've got some money somewhere tucked away that's growing, just add this little bit to the pile.

aguydude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Do something memorable. Go skydiving or mountain climbing or some such shit. The stock market is for suckers.

THIS:

That or save for retirement.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.