1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Just finished my first DE razor shave

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by odoreater, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Beetleything

Beetleything Senior member

+1

This man speaks the truth.

Watch it more than once.....you keep learning new things and watching what he does is good to see.

2. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

The thing I like w/ DE shaving is that your shaves actually improve all the time. Unlike the 25-blade mach 3 that gives you the same (shitty) shave each and every time.

3. chuck schick

chuck schick Senior member

Hopefully I had my last shitty shave yesterday, today should be getting the remainder of my rig in. Thanks for the advice and here's hoping that I don't look like I used a running lawn mower for a pillow after I'm done.

4. underwearer

underwearer Senior member

Ive got a brand new (used once or twice) Merkur 33C if anyone wants it for free. (CONNUS)

5. BBRex

BBRex Senior member

underwearer, I'll take it if nobody else wants it.

6. underwearer

underwearer, I'll take it if nobody else wants it.

are you in Canada? If its under $5 Ill send it but Im not feeling too giving lol (the razor is mint, and cost me $35) Ill thow in some fleather blades as well. The US cost would be like $1.39 or something silly cheap...I gotta check the canuck rates. What province are you in?

7. BBRex

BBRex Senior member

I'm in Texas. Houston, to be exact.

8. javyn

javyn Senior member

I'm in Texas. Houston, to be exact.

Check out British Isles in Rice Village. You'll cream...your jeans.

9. BBRex

BBRex Senior member

Javyn, I've been there. It's great!

10. ferguscan

ferguscan Senior member

my face literally feels RAW when I shave with them. ill cut the crap outta my neck and face a layer off my cheeks. Its rough man.

IMO, nothing cuts like a Feather.

I have steel cables growing out of my very sensitive skin. And if I use anything other than a Feather in my Merkur Slant, I get pulling and irritation galore.

So long as I keep the angle right (i.e. blade as parallel to my face as possible), the Feather+Slant combo is smooth smooth smooth.

Stuart

11. underwearer

kai are as good as feather

12. chuck schick

chuck schick Senior member

I've gotten a few really, really good shaves - about 10 shaves in. Even got in some against the grain work last shave, bu am still experiencing irritation around collar. I'm taking the advised pre-shave steps and am using bay rhum aftershave - maybe I need a sharper blade? Been using astra, derby and shark thus far. Regardless, I have enjoyed the hell out of the process and sub-culture and am pleased with the results. Thanks for the pointers.

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Any straight razor recs? Some of the videos on youtube I've seen people cruising through a shave with a 'cut throat' pretty quickly and producing what looks like a great shave at the end of it.

14. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

I was surprised yesterday, got a surprisingly good result by using cold water to shave. I'll definitely try that again - a word of caution though, it may be cut-inducing to try it if you don't yet have your technique nailed down well.

15. SkinnyGoomba

picked up a jack Black silver tip badger brush and Kiehls cream for use with brushes. Huge improvement over the canned crapola. I'm really impressed and it makes for a much more enjoyable shave. Far less irritation.

Next- moving onto the DE razor.

16. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

17. underwearer

go to ebay and get a 40s-early 50s Gillette Superspeed, dont spend more than $15

18. SkinnyGoomba

I'm using Kheils shaving cream, then herbal toner (astringent) then I'm using a normal face cream and I've noticed that my face seems dry.

Should I specifically use a facial moisturizer intended for use after shaving or is it the wrong shaving cream for my face?

19. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Could be wrong cream. My skin can get somewhat oily, so I need a soap that dries it up a little, sounds like you need the opposite.

Moisturizers are hardly unheard of though. Many use them, and many really should use them.

20. SkinnyGoomba

Figured out today thats its just my blade getting dull. Got a bottle of some fantastic aftershave balm though.