1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Just finished my first DE razor shave

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by odoreater, Jun 19, 2006.

1. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Nah don't ditch the Merkur. HD is the only razor you should need. The neck is a very difficult area to shave, and will take a while to get the hang of it. If you are cutting yourself with an HD you will surely cut yourself with an old Gillette. Stick with the HD, shave VERY lightly on your neck.

Also, a lot of the newer (60s and 70s era) Gillette Superspeeds are quite harsh.

2. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Any particular date code on the Gillete Super Speeds that I should look for or are all of them equally good?
    http://countryjoescollectiblestuff.com/razor-id.html The best Super Speeds are going to be your 1940s era, with no date code. Pay attention to how it looks. They look very much like Ranger Techs, but Ranger Techs are very brutal on the face I've found. The Ranger Tech is pictured on top....the 40's SS on bottom. Notice the difference towards the base of the handle? http://badgerandblade.com/vb/attachm...1&d=1171936089

3. underwearer

underwearer Well-Known Member

http://www.mr-razor.com/

this will date your razor...I have a 1953 SS, its (I think) the last year of the 40s style. Very gentle (non aggressive) razor. Cost me $15 an dis much better than my Merkur 33

Nothing wrong with the Merkurs let me just say. But I found the Glllettes to be very user friendly, especially for a beginner.

And I prefer the 1 piece twist-to-open mechanism. With the Merk its slightly a PITA to reload.

4. oman

oman Well-Known Member

i use an old-as-hell gillette, very simple, non-adjustable. here's a picture of the lil guy: [​IMG] had to hunt like CRAZY for a pic, i guess they're out of production. "gilette slim twist", apparently. pretty good; seems quite durable too. i was using gillette's own 7 o'clock blades for a few years, but switched to wilkinson swords somewhere along the line. they're fantastic but sometimes i think about experimenting with sharper ones - how would you guys rate the sharpness of wilkinson swords? sharper than merkur, i'd imagine? sharper than feather blades, or no?

5. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Never used the W Swords, but I can tell ya nothing is sharper than a Feather.

6. pscolari

pscolari Well-Known Member

Never used the W Swords, but I can tell ya nothing is sharper than a Feather.

I am still going through a sample pack that I bought last year and the only time I cut myself is with the Feathers. Fuggers are sharp.

Just received my Georgetown Pottery scuttle about two weeks ago and it makes a huge difference with the chamber for hot water.

7. bmf895

bmf895 Well-Known Member

8. underwearer

I am still going through a sample pack that I bought last year and the only time I cut myself is with the Feathers. Fuggers are sharp.

Just received my Georgetown Pottery scuttle about two weeks ago and it makes a huge difference with the chamber for hot water.

I destroyed my face the first time with feather and a Merkur 33c...I swore them off for a while after that but after some time and many shave my technique improved and now Feather are my go-to blade. Its all about the dexterity and use of the razor, and knowledge of all the contours of your face.

Now I dont even think about it. I break all the rules and get away with it (go over spots that have no lather, apply some pressure etc[​IMG]

9. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Feather is a Japanese company whose primary business is making surgical instruments. They don't mess around. They are not just the sharpest double edge razors, they are the sharpest BY FAR.

10. Davidko19

Davidko19 Well-Known Member

Feather is a Japanese company whose primary business is making surgical instruments. They don't mess around. They are not just the sharpest double edge razors, they are the sharpest BY FAR.

my face literally feels RAW when I shave with them. ill cut the crap outta my neck and face a layer off my cheeks. Its rough man.

11. underwearer

my face literally feels RAW when I shave with them. ill cut the crap outta my neck and face a layer off my cheeks. Its rough man.
    Technique! Use less pressure, prep better, try doing just 2 passes both north to south (straight down, forget about grain)
    [​IMG]

12. chuck schick

chuck schick Well-Known Member

Just got a Merkur in today along with some cream and other goodies. Waiting on the brush, mug, soap and assorted pack of razors from west coast. I get razor burn like nobody's business, hope this cures.

13. BBRex

BBRex Well-Known Member

Plan to take extra time when you shave, and don't rush. Plan for a couple of passes each time you shave. And don't get discouraged.

14. Beetleything

Beetleything Well-Known Member

I just started this about a week ago.

Use very little pressure at a 30 degrees angle.
    Small strokes.
    Lather well .
    Do 2 WTG - with the grain shaves to begin with.
    Then when better at it try XTG - across the grain.

Going ATG- against the grain is very very risky.

In little area like the chin to get the stubble might be ok.

This has resulted in the closet nicest cleanest shaves i have ever had with little to no nicks.

Also my neck hairs which go up at the lower part , now have no bumps or rash like before with Mach3.

My skin looks better.

I can totally recomened it.

You can get 100 blades for 20 -30 dollars - at 3-4 shave a blade that's a years worth of shaves.

Bye bye cartridge shaves.

15. chuck schick

Plan to take extra time when you shave, and don't rush. Plan for a couple of passes each time you shave. And don't get discouraged.

I just started this about a week ago.

Use very little pressure at a 30 degrees angle.
    Small strokes.
    Lather well .
    Do 2 WTG - with the grain shaves to begin with.
    Then when better at it try XTG - across the grain.

Going ATG- against the grain is very very risky.

In little area like the chin to get the stubble might be ok.

This has resulted in the closet nicest cleanest shaves i have ever had with little to no nicks.

Also my neck hairs which go up at the lower part , now have no bumps or rash like before with Mach3.

My skin looks better.

I can totally recomened it.

You can get 100 blades for 20 -30 dollars - at 3-4 shave a blade that's a years worth of shaves.

Bye bye cartridge shaves.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I have a pretty thick beard and am very hopeful this foray rids me of razor burn and improves my skin - bought a nice array of creams, etc.

What about around your chin and your moustache? I envision these areas being very susceptible to gashes.

Thanks again for the thoughts and any advice.

16. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice, guys. I have a pretty thick beard and am very hopeful this foray rids me of razor burn and improves my skin - bought a nice array of creams, etc.

What about around your chin and your moustache? I envision these areas being very succeptible to gashes.

Thanks again for the thoughts and any advice.

If you have a thick beard, you want to prepare your face well to avoid gashes. Rinsing your beard thoroughly with hot water before shaving/shaving after a shower/pressing a hot towel to your face will soften the beard.

A pre-shave cream might also be a good option, proraso makes a decent pre-shave cream and you wont break the bank buying a pot.

edit: Yeah and you'll probably also want to invest in a styptic pencil or alum block (just in case you nick yourself), that stuff will stop the bleeding.

17. BBRex

BBRex Well-Known Member

Just be careful. Don't rush. And don't feel like you have to use the whole width of the blade every pass. I probably get the most nicks on my neck, usually trying that one more pass to get as close as possible. Once you get some practice, you'll be more able to go against the grain or cross grain on your second or third pass.

18. chuck schick

Just be careful. Don't rush. And don't feel like you have to use the whole width of the blade every pass. I probably get the most nicks on my neck, usually trying that one more pass to get as close as possible. Once you get some practice, you'll be more able to go against the grain or cross grain on your second or third pass.

Very good, thanks for the advice.

19. underwearer

prep is key no doubt.

While in the shower I let the water hit my beard a full minute or so, wash my face w/ EMJ face wash, then shampoo/condition my beard also, I dont dry my face at all afterwards, just get out of shower and begin teh lather.

Work the lather in good with the brush for about a minute. (I literally count one one thousand, 2 one thousand...as Im lathering)

Watch Mantics videos on youtube...

20. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Well-Known Member

Watch Mantics videos on youtube...

+1

This man speaks the truth.