1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Just finished my first DE razor shave

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by odoreater, Jun 19, 2006.

1. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

I just browsed through badgerandblade.com and was shocked to see that some people pay $150+ for a shaving brush! [​IMG]
    I am sure some B&B guys would be shocked to see folks in the streetwear forum paying close to $800 for jeans! Anyway, my brush was $30-ish. It's worth a shot!

2. Matt

Matt [email protected]

Im still loving my DE DDML, dont get discouraged just yet

3. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior Member

Took me a good month of cutting the shit out of myself to get great at it, and now I LOVE my DE and would not trade it for an uber-expensive $3.00 a blade vibrating Gillette "Fusion".....I get an extremely close shave and bought a box of blades that will easily last me the next five years for around $10. Not to mention I don't get razor bumps anymore [​IMG]

PM me your address and I will mail you out a little pack of Derbys to try (free of course), I have a huge box of em' and basically got them for free myself. I have Merkurs too and have tried Feathers, but I think unless you have extremely course hair and thicker, less-sensitive skin these blades seem a tad "too" sharp (Merkurs less so than Feathers). I was cutting the crap out of myself with these and switched to Derbys.....same close shave, no cuts (then again I partially attribute this to perfecting my technique). What cream did you order? I would recommend becoming a member of B&B and ordering the cream sampler (6 creams) from Scotto......great deal, great price, and great variety!

4. Matt

Matt [email protected]

if any of you guys want to test out DE shaving, PM me. In Vietnam they have these insanely cheap plastic DE's (the Gillette Superclick) that I dont mind picking up and mailing around. They give a really good shave (I think as good as my expensive-as-hell Merkur) and cost next to nothing. Nick M has one that I sent over and was pretty impressed with his smoothness (traded him for some shoe polishes [​IMG] ) maybe you guys live within radius of some other little creature comforts that I have to do without and we can trade. Ive also come across vintage Gillette (including adjustables, ex US military maybe, since I found them at the army market) for around $5, happy to pick those up for members too, but would charge those back to you at cost + shipping.

5. denimdestroyedmylife

6. Homme

Homme Distinguished Member

I'm also loving my DE ... Am about 8 shaves in, and i don't need against the grain passes anymore, one with and one (or two) across and i get a very close shave. Merkurs weren't sharp enough for me, Feather's are perfect .. if you rubbed a pair of jeans against my face you'd get the 6-months-wear-without-washing look in about 6 minutes. I highly recommend proraso products - fairly cheap, great shaves. The pre/post cream is amazing... the small jar will last me a year.

7. mizanation

mizanation Senior Member

alas, i would join you guys if i had enough facial hair to warrant a DE. oh well.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

I am sure some B&B guys would be shocked to see folks in the streetwear forum paying close to $800 for jeans!

Anyway, my brush was $30-ish. It's worth a shot!

There's a French company that has $900+ brushes.

9. Matt

Matt [email protected]

alas, i would join you guys if i had enough facial hair to warrant a DE. oh well.
    bastard. *jealous*

10. denimdestroyedmylife

Actually, my facial hair is scant. It actually grows naturally like V, plus goatee: [​IMG] I just hate shaving with an electric so much, I had to make some sort of change or else. [​IMG]

11. mizanation

mizanation Senior Member

what's wrong with electric?

12. denimdestroyedmylife

Nothing is wrong with electric per se. I just find it thoroughly unpleasant, irritating to my skin, harsh on the ears (the sound of the buzzing, I mean), bulky and messy; on top of that, I have to remember to charge it the day before as my particular model won't work whilst plugged in. Plus I'm a quasi-Luddite [​IMG]

13. javyn

javyn Stylish Dinosaur

I have 3 brushes from Shavemac. Together they cost me around $250. I consider it money well spent. [​IMG] Left to right - 23mm Pure grade, 23mm Finest grade, 24mm Silvertip

14. denimdestroyedmylife

WOW!

I suppose I can guess your answer, but does the lather using the silvertip justify the added cost?

Oh, I've noticed you are a member at B & B; amazed at how nice folks are over there. The site is very newb-friendly, yet gets really technical, too.

15. javyn

javyn Stylish Dinosaur

Actually, no. I mean, obsessively needing to try a brush of every grade justifies the cost (pretty common once you get into this), but I think the Finest grade is a great medium. The bristles are still incredibly soft, yet firmer, where the Silvertip is a bit floppy. If I had to choose only 1 brush, it would be a Finest/Super.

edit: Sorry you were asking about the quality of the lather...that should be the same for any badger brush.