Just finished my first DE razor shave

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by odoreater, Jun 19, 2006.

1. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

I just browsed through badgerandblade.com and was shocked to see that some people pay $150+ for a shaving brush! [​IMG]
    I am sure some B&B guys would be shocked to see folks in the streetwear forum paying close to $800 for jeans! Anyway, my brush was $30-ish. It's worth a shot!

2. Matt

Matt [email protected]

Im still loving my DE DDML, dont get discouraged just yet

3. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

Took me a good month of cutting the shit out of myself to get great at it, and now I LOVE my DE and would not trade it for an uber-expensive $3.00 a blade vibrating Gillette "Fusion".....I get an extremely close shave and bought a box of blades that will easily last me the next five years for around $10. Not to mention I don't get razor bumps anymore [​IMG]

PM me your address and I will mail you out a little pack of Derbys to try (free of course), I have a huge box of em' and basically got them for free myself. I have Merkurs too and have tried Feathers, but I think unless you have extremely course hair and thicker, less-sensitive skin these blades seem a tad "too" sharp (Merkurs less so than Feathers). I was cutting the crap out of myself with these and switched to Derbys.....same close shave, no cuts (then again I partially attribute this to perfecting my technique). What cream did you order? I would recommend becoming a member of B&B and ordering the cream sampler (6 creams) from Scotto......great deal, great price, and great variety!

4. Matt

Matt [email protected]

if any of you guys want to test out DE shaving, PM me. In Vietnam they have these insanely cheap plastic DE's (the Gillette Superclick) that I dont mind picking up and mailing around. They give a really good shave (I think as good as my expensive-as-hell Merkur) and cost next to nothing. Nick M has one that I sent over and was pretty impressed with his smoothness (traded him for some shoe polishes [​IMG] ) maybe you guys live within radius of some other little creature comforts that I have to do without and we can trade. Ive also come across vintage Gillette (including adjustables, ex US military maybe, since I found them at the army market) for around $5, happy to pick those up for members too, but would charge those back to you at cost + shipping.

5. denimdestroyedmylife

6. Homme

Homme Senior member

I'm also loving my DE ... Am about 8 shaves in, and i don't need against the grain passes anymore, one with and one (or two) across and i get a very close shave. Merkurs weren't sharp enough for me, Feather's are perfect .. if you rubbed a pair of jeans against my face you'd get the 6-months-wear-without-washing look in about 6 minutes. I highly recommend proraso products - fairly cheap, great shaves. The pre/post cream is amazing... the small jar will last me a year.

7. mizanation

mizanation Senior member

alas, i would join you guys if i had enough facial hair to warrant a DE. oh well.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I am sure some B&B guys would be shocked to see folks in the streetwear forum paying close to $800 for jeans!

Anyway, my brush was $30-ish. It's worth a shot!

There's a French company that has $900+ brushes.

9. Matt

Matt [email protected]

alas, i would join you guys if i had enough facial hair to warrant a DE. oh well.
    bastard. *jealous*

10. denimdestroyedmylife

Actually, my facial hair is scant. It actually grows naturally like V, plus goatee: [​IMG] I just hate shaving with an electric so much, I had to make some sort of change or else. [​IMG]

11. mizanation

mizanation Senior member

what's wrong with electric?

12. denimdestroyedmylife

Nothing is wrong with electric per se. I just find it thoroughly unpleasant, irritating to my skin, harsh on the ears (the sound of the buzzing, I mean), bulky and messy; on top of that, I have to remember to charge it the day before as my particular model won't work whilst plugged in. Plus I'm a quasi-Luddite [​IMG]

13. javyn

javyn Senior member

I have 3 brushes from Shavemac. Together they cost me around $250. I consider it money well spent. [​IMG] Left to right - 23mm Pure grade, 23mm Finest grade, 24mm Silvertip

14. denimdestroyedmylife

WOW!

I suppose I can guess your answer, but does the lather using the silvertip justify the added cost?

Oh, I've noticed you are a member at B & B; amazed at how nice folks are over there. The site is very newb-friendly, yet gets really technical, too.

15. javyn

javyn Senior member

Actually, no. I mean, obsessively needing to try a brush of every grade justifies the cost (pretty common once you get into this), but I think the Finest grade is a great medium. The bristles are still incredibly soft, yet firmer, where the Silvertip is a bit floppy. If I had to choose only 1 brush, it would be a Finest/Super.

edit: Sorry you were asking about the quality of the lather...that should be the same for any badger brush.