• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just finished my first DE razor shave

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure if it's any closer than I get with the Mach III and I ended up cutting up all the little pimples that were on my neck from the last time that I shaved with the Mach III and causing them to bleed. However, there is something extremely manly feeling about shaving with a DE razor.

I basically wet my face with really hot water. Then used the brush to apply the shaving cream. I then shaved with the grain. Then I re-wet my face and applied shaving cream again. I then shaved against the grain. The whole process took about 25 minutes.

Also, I have a question. How do you clean up the razor after use? Is it enough just to rinse it off with water? Also, how many times can a blade be used before you have to chuck it?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the dark side!

Actually, unless you are used to it I would advise against going against the grain with a DE as the shaves are generally more efficient and until you work out how to adjust your grip and the pressure you exert, you may give yourself some razor burn.
Furthermore, using a spring equipped cartridge razor tends to make us put undue pressure while the DE should glide - it is all about the angle.

As for cleaning, generally yes, just water. EVery so often you can use a chemical cleaner to get rid of sediment (I cannopt remember what one several people have reported being happy with).

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, when I went through the shave just with the grain there was still a lot of stubble left over on my face, so I figured I'd give it a pass going the other way. I guess I'll work on my technique over the next couple of weeks and see what works best.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have coarse hair, like I do, you may need to either go for sharper blades (like the Feather Platinum or the Israeli Personna) or, if you have an adjustable DE, dial it down a little. But before that make sure you can do a few passes without nicks.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I am in the same boat as you, and I am continually cutting the crap out of myself no matter how slow I shave or how 'lightly' I press the blade. I am leaving the bathroom with at least 6-7 miniature pieces of toilet paper stuck to my face and my skin has felt very irritable/uncomfortable during the day. I hear all the raving about no irritation and how cheap it is to buy blades, etc. but honestly, does anyone using these have baby-arse 21-yr. old skin (such as myself)? Or are you all seasoned vets with tough, aged skin?.....I am seriously considering switching back as I do not know how much more I can take. I know I am meant to "stick it out" but for god's sake, can you offer us any advice!!!!!

crazy.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
I am in the same boat as you, and I am continually cutting the crap out of myself no matter how slow I shave or how 'lightly' I press the blade. I am leaving the bathroom with at least 6-7 miniature pieces of toilet paper stuck to my face and my skin has felt very irritable/uncomfortable during the day. I hear all the raving about no irritation and how cheap it is to buy blades, etc. but honestly, does anyone using these have baby-arse 21-yr. old skin (such as myself)? Or are you all seasoned vets with tough, aged skin?.....I am seriously considering switching back as I do not know how much more I can take. I know I am meant to "stick it out" but for god's sake, can you offer us any advice!!!!!

crazy.gif

I am no seasoned vet. I started shaving with a DE on February 14th 2006 (I remember the date for the obvious reason and because I got in an accident and totalled my car the very same day
frown.gif
)
Anyway, have you tried checking over on shavemyface.com or badgerandbrush? You will find some seasoned vets there. I know there are several over here, too.
My first shave was a little "burny" but after that it got better.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I have browsed Badgerandblade a little. Maybe it is time to do some serious delving for the sake of my health.

smile.gif

Spencer Young

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
but honestly, does anyone using these have baby-arse 21-yr. old skin (such as myself)? Or are you all seasoned vets with tough, aged skin?....

I'm a baby assed 22 year old, and I just switched to DE. I'm sure you're using a quality shave cream (or at least not something that comes in a compressed aluminum tube); are you also using a preshave oil? I've had quite good success with Avid Skinglider, and after the first few shaves I don't really nick myself anymore. It really helps keep the blade gliding over your skin instead of cutting in. As skalogre said, if it's adjustable make sure that you're not setting it to hamburger mode... I usually have my Futur at 2.5 - once I tried it on 3.5 or 4 or so and it was like taking a lawnmower to my face.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I am using Truefitt & Hill shave cream and a good brush, but unfortunately, my Merkur is not adjustable. I have heard mixed reviews of shave oils. Have you tried shaving without them whilst using a DE? Would it be worth it for me to invest in some? Cheers

alflauren

Reaction score
Does anyone have a video of a DE shave? I've been looking for one, but can't seem to find any working links.

That said, I think I'm probably wasting my time anyhow, but I'd like to give it a shot. I've actually had pretty good results from my Panasonic electric, and I don't know that I can do any better with my uber-sensitive skin.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alflauren
Does anyone have a video of a DE shave? I've been looking for one, but can't seem to find any working links.

That said, I think I'm probably wasting my time anyhow, but I'd like to give it a shot. I've actually had pretty good results from my Panasonic electric, and I don't know that I can do any better with my uber-sensitive skin.

I think that if for nothing else, I'm going to keep using the DE razor just for the manliness factor. I actually enjoyed shaving for once. While I was doing it I felt in touch with generations that have passed from hundreds of years ago until the present. I felt like my grandfather was watching me from heaven and nodding approvingly. It was pretty cool.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What is the equivalent setting of the non-adjustable razors? If it's 5 (right in the middle) that's pretty harsh, especially starting out.

I just rinse the razor and then blow the water out of it before hanging it to dry. I used to open it and rinse then do all that but I don't think it matters.

My blades (plain old Gillette from the drugstore) seem to last a couple of weeks before I need to change them out. Maybe longer, I don't really pay attention. I notice that they have 1 2 3 4 marked on the corners - are you supposed to be able to flip them and use them for longer or something?

Also, you guys who are trashing your face, (maybe obvious/dumb, but) are you tightening the razor down all the way and making the blade bend into position? If it were loose, you'd be slaughtering your skin. Just making sure, because that could be confusing if you didn't know.

tiratela

Reaction score
I've been with the DE for about a month now (non-adjustable). There are 2 spots in my face that I ALWAYS seen to nick due to there being a pimple that never seems to get cured. I can learn to live with these little nicks as they seem get better in an hour or so.

Against the grain works for me, but it seems that I completely remove all the cream AND the hair with each stroke. I might have to apply less pressure..

Bought a brush over the weekend and a tub of coconut based cream and the ritual is just better.. I may have to convert a few of my friends..

nukular

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Welcome to the dark side!

Actually, unless you are used to it I would advise against going against the grain with a DE as the shaves are generally more efficient and until you work out how to adjust your grip and the pressure you exert, you may give yourself some razor burn.
Furthermore, using a spring equipped cartridge razor tends to make us put undue pressure while the DE should glide - it is all about the angle.

Yeah...I'm all about the burn!!!...
laugh.gif
Actually I've been using a merkur futur since last week...and the lower part of my neck at about the adams apple and below...just doesn't like it.... I've pretty much gotten GREAT results on the rest of my face, but this spot has a bit of razor burn. I don't think my hair there grows in any one direction...

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to start wetshaving ... does anyone have any coupons for classicshaving.com ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads