1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Just finished a 20 day water fast

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by mm84321, Dec 21, 2010.

1. sman234

sman234 Member

^^^yeah i missed that one too

2. Zanth

Zanth Member

You write clearly and I appreciate some of your points, but where are you going to publish your non-randomised non-controlled study with two subjects in two different treatment arms? Am J Anecdotal Cardiol.?

I won't be publishing it as a randomized clinical trial study, but in a letters section which is customary for these types of experiments. Some of the most interesting one off studies are found in various letters sections, particularly that of many physics journals.

As for my digestive tract, I flushed with salt water a few times. This was suggested to me. It was disgusting and awful and I couldn't continue with this so I simply took herbal laxatives 3x/week the night before I had some time in the morning to stick around the house. It is true that, despite not eating, I had stuff on the exit. I didn't go so far as to lab test this stuff, though I assume others have at some point (pubmed for those who are interested). It was likely residual waste build up within the intestines as well as waste products (cellular matter from fat breakdown and muscle breakdown).

I don't really have much else to add. As others have commented, after a few days, hunger pangs are pretty much non-existant (though 6 miles/day running would have killed me personally) unless one works out (or at least that is how I felt).

I like the way my body responds and how I end up feeling for a time, but this has been easily reproduced by maintaining a very low sodium diet, increasing my protein intake and compensating with a lot of water . If I increase my carbs (particularly simple ones, white rice, any bread, potatoes (which I love), etc) then and increase dairy beyond skim or 2% in coffee (so cheese or yogurt) I start to feel as if I'm retaining more fluids than I would prefer and various other sensations I'm not fond of.

3. eg1

eg1 Senior member

I've fasted for 10-15 days on several occasions, though it was many years ago (early 90s). It can be done. Some of the sensations are unpleasant, others are somewhat euphoric. I recall needing a lot less sleep in the latter stages of a long fast.

4. olualbert

olualbert Senior member

Let's be serious - every bit of Eastern & Western science (and emprical evidence) has proven that humans are able to survive for weeks at a time without food, that shouldn't be surprising.

What IS surprising is that the anyone who does something like this claims to "do their research" - clearly you hadn't, because what you consider euphoria is actually a series of chemical reactions as your body goes into starvation/survival mode. True, your body may expel some of the "toxins" it had in it, but it is doing that solely as a fight or flight response. A better idea would be a raw food diet to let the body heal itself naturally.

Saying Americans are fat, lazy, and obese is one thing, and definitely true, however using that argument as justification for essentially starving yourself for 3 weeks is somewhere south of stupid.

Spot on brother!

5. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Actually you excrete a lot of dead cells, etc.
    LOLWUT?
    Spot on brother!
    +1. Doing something like this purposely borders on insanity.

6. BP348

BP348 Senior member

I'm pretty much thinking that this has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of!

OP claims to be a college student so OK maybe he's impressionable and influenced by one of his professors but for someone to come here and claim to be a MD/PhD and say they did the same but longer is just fucking crazy. I guess educated people can still be idiots.

The whole raw foods suggestion IMHO is a much better option.

7. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

College students are such know-it-alls and it is hilarious.

8. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Senior member

update from the original poster?

9. DBoon

DBoon Senior member

OP is on a sensory deprivation fast. Every day our bodies are overexposed to visual and audio stimuli. Did you know that humans were designed to live lives confined to a 10 square mile area [1]? Man's aberrant expansion beyond the birth-zone led to abominations of the human species such as War, the Industrial Revolution and High Fructose Corn Syrup [2]. Unfortunately we can no longly easily revert to the natural state because of the urbanist lifestyle [3]. We have created our own prison of high population density [4], advertisements [3] and concrete. I applaud the OP's efforts to recreate the birth-zone by relocating to his parents' dwelling and shedding himself of the unnatural contrivances of work, education and fiscal responsibility. [1] - [4]: I cannot recall the particular passage, but relevant information can be found in Hon. Rev. Dr. Mohammad Elijah's How To Eat To Die and Henry David Thoreau's Where's Waldo?

10. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

OP is on a sensory deprivation fast. Every day our bodies are overexposed to visual and audio stimuli. Did you know that humans were designed to live lives confined to a 10 square mile area [1]? Man's aberrant expansion beyond the birth-zone led to abominations of the human species such as War, the Industrial Revolution and High Fructose Corn Syrup [2]. Unfortunately we can no longly easily revert to the natural state because of the urbanist lifestyle [3]. We have created our own prison of high population density [4], advertisements [3] and concrete. I applaud the OP's efforts to recreate the birth-zone by relocating to his parents' dwelling and shedding himself of the unnatural contrivances of work, education and fiscal responsibility. [1] - [4]: I cannot recall the particular passage, but relevant information can be found in Hon. Rev. Dr. Mohammad Elijah's How To Eat To Die and Henry David Thoreau's Where's Waldo?
    [​IMG] Awesome. I might also recommend L. Ron Hubbard's "Diuretics" for an interesting take on excreting dead alien cells. The bolded portion above was my question as well; what "normal" person having a job, a life, in a relationship, and needing to make ends meet to pay the rent could ever do this (i.e. "I'm feeling euphoric, but can't get out of bed, so I'll just stay in this week and not go out.") The only thing I can imagine is that the OP is very young/in school, etc. This seems something to try when you're 18 and angry at the world, wanting to show your parents that you didn't need their Saab for your birthday, and wish to join in solidarity your brothers and sisters around the world subsisting on $1.20 a day, while tabbing over to the other open window to order J.Crew chinos and a new wireless keyboard for your Macbook.

11. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

update from the original poster?
    Overall, everything has gone pretty smoothly. When I started the fast I weighed 184 pounds, standing 5' 9", with a considerable amount of muscle and some extra weight in the lower abdomen and upper thighs. On the 20th day, I weighed 161 pounds, with most of that fat lost, and also a degree of muscle and strength decrease. Since then, I have been eating very small meals, as I am aware of how my metabolism has slowed, and limit caloric intake to around 1200 calories a day. I am eating a large portion of these calories in the form of protein to rebuild muscle tissue which was catabolized during the fast. In only a few weeks my strength has markedly improved and am pretty surprised at how fast I am rebuilding muscle. I am doing weights about 3-4 times a week, and jogging daily. I am settled right now at 167 pounds, so a 6 pound increase in total, a large portion of which has been water weight and body tissue, as I haven't visibly put back on any of the fat I lost. As I said in the original post, the fast wasn't meant as a means for weight loss, however the byproduct of a leaner body has been an appreciated side effect. Mentally, I have noticed that I am much calmer and content. Certain things that used to bother me are now of little importance, and I find I am able to think things through in a much more rational manner. Whereas before I might have acted out before taking the time to process my thoughts and emotions, I am now able to identify and eliminate sources of stress and discomfort in a healthy manner. Practicing meditation has helped with this a lot. I cannot claim to understand all of the physiological and psychological mechanisms at work to allow for this, but I do know that the fast allowed for a change in certain behaviors and habitual tendencies for the better. Even if it is just a placebo effect, it's the most useful placebo I have ever taken.
    The bolded portion above was my question as well; what "normal" person having a job, a life, in a relationship, and needing to make ends meet to pay the rent could ever do this (i.e. "I'm feeling euphoric, but can't get out of bed, so I'll just stay in this week and not go out.") The only thing I can imagine is that the OP is very young/in school, etc. This seems something to try when you're 18 and angry at the world, wanting to show your parents that you didn't need their Saab for your birthday, and wish to join in solidarity your brothers and sisters around the world subsisting on $1.20 a day, while tabbing over to the other open window to order J.Crew chinos and a new wireless keyboard for your Macbook.
    I am extremely grateful to be young enough (19) and with a lack of actual responsibilities to be able to have the freedom to undergo what I did. I am not unappreciative at all. I am not here advising anyone to follow in my footsteps, and I understand that this is not reality, nor a panacea for all that ails you. I am very well aware of the paucity of research into the benefits and potential hazards of extended fasting. I simply wrote this post in the interest of sharing my experience and answering whatever questions I could. The rarity of hearing about someone fasting makes it quite easy for people to call me crazy and dismiss what I have done as some sort of charade or act of rebellion. I was not, as you say, angry at the world, nor did I blindly decide to fast without prior knowledge and adequate research. The motivation of this endeavor was to improve my overall constitution, and gain a better understanding of myself and of the world in which I live, both of which were accomplished. Please don't trivialize what you do not know.

12. DBoon

DBoon Senior member

Overall, everything has gone pretty smoothly. When I started the fast I weighed 184 pounds, standing 5' 9", with a considerable amount of muscle and some extra weight in the lower abdomen and upper thighs. On the 20th day, I weighed 161 pounds, with most of that fat lost, and also a degree of muscle and strength decrease.

Since then, I have been eating very small meals, as I am aware of how my metabolism has slowed, and limit caloric intake to around 1200 calories a day. I am eating a large portion of these calories in the form of protein to rebuild muscle tissue which was catabolized during the fast. In only a few weeks my strength has markedly improved and am pretty surprised at how fast I am rebuilding muscle. I am doing weights about 3-4 times a week, and jogging daily. I am settled right now at 167 pounds, so a 6 pound increase in total, a large portion of which has been water weight and body tissue, as I haven't visibly put back on any of the fat I lost.

As I said in the original post, the fast wasn't meant as a means for weight loss, however the byproduct of a leaner body has been an appreciated side effect.

Mentally, I have noticed that I am much calmer and content. Certain things that used to bother me are now of little importance, and I find I am able to think things through in a much more rational manner. Whereas before I might have acted out before taking the time to process my thoughts and emotions, I am now able to identify and eliminate sources of stress and discomfort in a healthy manner. Practicing meditation has helped with this a lot.

I cannot claim to understand all of the physiological and psychological mechanisms at work to allow for this, but I do know that the fast allowed for a change in certain behaviors and habitual tendencies for the better. Even if it is just a placebo effect, it's the most useful placebo I have ever taken.

I am extremely grateful to be young enough (19) and with a lack of actual responsibilities to be able to have the freedom to undergo what I did. I am not unappreciative at all. I am not here advising anyone to follow in my footsteps, and I understand that this is not reality, nor a panacea for all that ails you. I am very well aware of the paucity of research into the benefits and potential hazards of extended fasting. I simply wrote this post in the interest of sharing my experience and answering whatever questions I could.

The rarity of hearing about someone fasting makes it quite easy for people to call me crazy and dismiss what I have done as some sort of charade or act of rebellion. I was not, as you say, angry at the world, nor did I blindly decide to fast without prior knowledge and adequate research. The motivation of this endeavor was to improve my overall constitution, and gain a better understanding of myself and of the world in which I live, both of which were accomplished. Please don't trivialize what you do not know.

Is it...is it fun being this dumb?

13. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

OP is a complete retard which is why he has 16 avatarless noob alt-nics in this thread spreading similar claims. I can only shake my head at anyone who's even wasted the brainpower required to read his insultingly idiotic posts in this topic.

Buddy, you are so stupid there is no swearword I can write here that does you justice. Enjoy the short road to death, may it come quickly.

14. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

Is it...is it fun being this dumb?

As I said, a paucity of research, not a complete absence, the great majority of which is over a century old.

15. samssf

samssf Well-Known Member

You know, the sad thing is that ten years ago when I was 19, I was probably gullible and impressionable enough to entertain the same ideas and beliefs as the OP.

My dad also believes all this pseudoscience bullshit, and it's sad really. I haven't yet figured out exactly what quality allows a person to be able to distinguish between high-quality, truthful, academic information vs sensational, you-want-to-believe-it, it-sounds-good, bullshit information.

I can only hope that in 10, 20, or 30 years the OP looks back at himself and laughs as his inexperience of the time, and then helps by promoting quality information rather than promoting false information online.

OP, you only believe everything you claim, because your generalized experience, in your mind, matches with what you read. It's called cognitive bias. There are so many various cognitives bias that warp peoples' perception of reality, and if you aren't aware of what those biases are, you'll never know that you're beliefs are incorrect.

There's a reason that people spend years in school studying a specific topic, and there's a reason that research must be peer reviewed and scrutinized, there's a reason skepticism is necessary, and there's a reason that double-blinded placebo-controlled studies must exist. Because even the most intelligent and educated people are susceptible to accepting lies and errors as fact. The human mind loves to draw connections where there are none, people love to cheer for the underdog, people like to believe the sensational "brand new cure-that-no-one-else-has", love to find hidden meanings in things, and love to think that the information they've chosen to accept is the "truth" that no one else is smart enough to understand.

And to the OP: You're entitled to your own opinions -- we all are. And you have the right as a person to fast if you've like, to read whatever you want, and to enjoy yourself as a person. But, no one is entitled to their own facts, and I find it immoral to spread information that is not proven correct. Anecdotal stories are just stories.

If you study physiology you'll find that the body doesn't store "toxins", your body eats its own muscle tissue when it needs energy, and scars don't heal themselves as a result of starvation. Humans live longer than they ever have (and are healthier), the reason why cancer and other disease is so prevalent now is because fewer babies and fewer women die during childbirth and because people live longer, and no, grains aren't bad for you unless you have a severe digestive disorder.

Please focus on what you're good at in life (not educating people on nutritional matters).

16. cez

cez Senior member

lulz at every single page=5 star threak, would def. read again.

17. DBoon

DBoon Senior member

As I said, a paucity of research, not a complete absence, the great majority of which is over a century old.

LOL

Why dont you try bloodletting while you're at it

1 person likes this.
  18. Kark

Kark Active Member

You know, the sad thing is that ten years ago when I was 19, I was probably gullible and impressionable enough to entertain the same ideas and beliefs as the OP.

My dad also believes all this pseudoscience bullshit, and it's sad really. I haven't yet figured out exactly what quality allows a person to be able to distinguish between high-quality, truthful, academic information vs sensational, you-want-to-believe-it, it-sounds-good, bullshit information.

I can only hope that in 10, 20, or 30 years the OP looks back at himself and laughs as his inexperience of the time, and then helps by promoting quality information rather than promoting false information online.

OP, you only believe everything you claim, because your generalized experience, in your mind, matches with what you read. It's called cognitive bias. There are so many various cognitives bias that warp peoples' perception of reality, and if you aren't aware of what those biases are, you'll never know that you're beliefs are incorrect.

There's a reason that people spend years in school studying a specific topic, and there's a reason that research must be peer reviewed and scrutinized, there's a reason skepticism is necessary, and there's a reason that double-blinded placebo-controlled studies must exist. Because even the most intelligent and educated people are susceptible to accepting lies and errors as fact. The human mind loves to draw connections where there are none, people love to cheer for the underdog, people like to believe the sensational "brand new cure-that-no-one-else-has", love to find hidden meanings in things, and love to think that the information they've chosen to accept is the "truth" that no one else is smart enough to understand.

And to the OP: You're entitled to your own opinions -- we all are. And you have the right as a person to fast if you've like, to read whatever you want, and to enjoy yourself as a person. But, no one is entitled to their own facts, and I find it immoral to spread information that is not proven correct. Anecdotal stories are just stories.

If you study physiology you'll find that the body doesn't store "toxins", your body eats its own muscle tissue when it needs energy, and scars don't heal themselves as a result of starvation. Humans live longer than they ever have (and are healthier), the reason why cancer and other disease is so prevalent now is because fewer babies and fewer women die during childbirth and because people live longer, and no, grains aren't bad for you unless you have a severe digestive disorder.

Please focus on what you're good at in life (not educating people on nutritional matters).

+1 and Quoted in hopes of further boosting the signal to noise ratio of this thread and forum.

19. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

It is sad how many of you gentlemen knock the OP regarding this matter. Fasting is good for you; I fast intermittently. Please begin to read more about health. Start with Gary Taube's Good Calories, Bad Calories. Then go to Michael Pollen's The Omnivore's Dilemma. Then peruse the blog Marksdailyapple.com. Also discover thewhole9.com. Then check out other alternative health sites dedicated to eating, basically, like a caveman. You will find that it is not how much you eat, but what you eat that affects your weight and overall health. You will find that fasting - putting your body in survival mode - will benefit you greatly. You will find that most of the conventional wisdom regarding health - especially here in the US - is insanely dumb. And you will feel better if you actually listen to people who have improved their health through willpower and research. OP, I would avoided distilled water, though; it does, as has been stated, leach minerals from your body and could've proved harmful. But great job nonetheless. Check out the sites mentioned - you will find enlightenment.

20. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

This post is completely wrong, on so many levels. Do you think that the obesity/cancer/diabetes epidemic that has exponentially grown over the past 50 years is ridiculous?

Read the books I outlined in the post above and get back to me. Eat whole foods instead of processed foods and see what happens.

But I doubt you will, as you have, like some of my very naiive high school students, purported an argument based on your own limited (and quite short-sighted) beliefs. You, I'm sure, will not actually further study or research this topic, but continue to lambast people who have taken it upon themselves to better their health through some very basic understandings (as outlined from the sources I've provided).

Isn't it American to not believe all you've been told, especially by the government and the news?

Speak about insulin reactions and nutrition and maybe I would listen to your silly rant.

Or, continue to believe the human body is doomed to catch a disease because of old age, and enjoy your disease.