• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just doing cardio

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with just doing cardio for a month straight? I'm assuming a mix of jogging/biking and interval training 4 times a week.

I know abs are made in the kitchen but would it be so bad to limit the workouts to just cardio? I'm not a chub chub, I just want more definition.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, as far as I understand it, cardio will help shed the fat in front of your abs (along with proper diet as you noted), but the only thing its going to help define is your legs and your abs.

Jon.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert. I think cardio will help you look more defined, but probably not as defined as lifting mixed with cardio. My reasoning is, the lifting will help maintain muscle on the rest of your body. Also, muscle in general burns a lot of calories, therefore having more muscle and maintaining muscle will help you lose more fat.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
If you do too much cardio your body may try to conserve energy and you'll stop burning as many calories. 30 mins of cardio per day is enough. Diet is still way more important.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
I'm not an expert. I think cardio will help you look more defined, but probably not as defined as lifting mixed with cardio. My reasoning is, the lifting will help maintain muscle on the rest of your body. Also, muscle in general burns a lot of calories, therefore having more muscle and maintaining muscle will help you lose more fat.

You're correct, cardio without lifting weights = lost lean mass.

remn

Reaction score
No, do not just do cardio. You haven't mentioned your fitness level but even if you are a weak bastard, you shouldn't JUST do cardio. A mixture of interval training with weights and sprints will get you a hard body with strength too. Mix in some abdominal circuit training in with your workouts and you'll be golden.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to just run long-distance to lose weight. Doing that will eat away at that precious lean muscle you want.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU

yep.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads