• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Just bought this watch for $800 from Macys. Was it a good buy?

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am new to this forum, so please bare with me! :) I am also a watch newb, but I've heard Burberry is one of the best, classy watches under $1k, so I went with the purchase.

I bought this at Macy's today for $800 (link below). Do you guys think it was a good buy or would you suggest I purchase something different for this much money? They also had some nice Gucci watches, but those might be a little too bling for me. I'm looking for something classy.

Thanks for your time.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/burberry-mens-swiss-chronograph-gray-ion-plated-stainless-steel-bracelet-watch-42mm-bu9365?ID=2059019&pla_country=US&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120156340001639019&catargetid=120156340002723796&cadevice=c&cm_mmc=Google_Seasonal_PLA-_-All+Products+-+GS_All+Products-_-53151159035_-_-_mkwid_bfv4WtM6|dc_53151159035|-|bfv4WtM6&gclid=CjwKEAjwwtOsBRDdjZTbvYvTlzcSJADOY0DRATXeW_a7pNEQvxiNl4cIYdMZBul1P1FyAmQXcU_D8hoChkbw_wcB

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack the thread but do you have a link to the $3200 speedy pro? Are you referring to Sam's Club or another vendor?

OP, I would not pay $800 for a Burberry quartz watch, no. In the $400 range you can get some very nice Seiko watches, which are constructed beautifully and use a quality Automatic movement. I would much prefer to go that direction for half the price. There are many, many choices of good quality watches but I personally do not care for the one that you purchased and generally would not consider spending anywhere near that much for a quartz fashion watch.

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback!

Do you have suggestion on what type of watch I should buy in the $500-800 range? I will look into the Seikos. I was told my multiple people that Burberry watches are fantastic and classy, which from here I guess is a misconception.

I am not spending more than 1k on a watch for at least 3-4 years, so I need something now.

I've heard of movado and bulova as being great watches - what about those?

Thanks again for your time!

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry to hijack the thread but do you have a link to the $3200 speedy pro?  Are you referring to Sam's Club or another vendor?

OP, I would not pay $800 for a Burberry quartz watch, no.  In the $400 range you can get some very nice Seiko watches, which are constructed beautifully and use a quality Automatic movement.  I would much prefer to go that direction for half the price.  There are many, many choices of good quality watches but I personally do not care for the one that you purchased and generally would not consider spending anywhere near that much for a quartz fashion watch.

It's the Sam's Club and it's $3600. It's been at the club I shop at for about 6 months now. I don't have a link and to be honest I don't know that you could buy it online. In fact I imagine you probably couldn't.

However most Costcos and SAMs clubs are known for this kind of thing. The main point being, the OP asked if he should have purchased the watch he purchased. In my opinion I wouldn't.

In my opinion the watch he bought is nothing more than a rfairly expensive throw away at some point later down the road. Because even if it's something than can be serviced I wouldn't want to put anymore money into it when the time comes. However the OP may see it differently.

However if he's.happy with it then that's all that matters. But it appears as he has doubts or he wouldn't have even bothered asking. Next time I would recommend that the OP do a little more research before hand than after making the purchase.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback! 

Do you have suggestion on what type of watch I should buy in the $500-800 range? I will look into the Seikos. I was told my multiple people that Burberry watches are fantastic and classy, which from here I guess is a misconception. 

I am not spending more than 1k on a watch for at least 3-4 years, so I need something now. 

I've heard of movado and bulova as being great watches - what about those? 

Thanks again for your time!

If you need something now but plan on getting something more substantial later on I would strongly suggest getting the cheapest suitable watch for the time being and don't waste anymore money than you have to. The more you waste now the further it puts you back from saving for that nicer watch you plan on getting later.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's the Sam's Club and it's $3600. It's been at the club I shop at for about 6 months now. I don't have a link and to be honest I don't know that you could buy it online. In fact I imagine you probably couldn't.

However most Costcos and SAMs clubs are known for this kind of thing. The main point being, the OP asked if he should have purchased the watch he purchased. In my opinion I wouldn't.

In my opinion the watch he bought is nothing more than a rfairly expensive throw away at some point later down the road. Because even if it's something than can be serviced I wouldn't want to put anymore money into it when the time comes. However the OP may see it differently.

However if he's.happy with it then that's all that matters. But it appears as he has doubts or he wouldn't have even bothered asking. Next time I would recommend that the OP do a little more research before hand than after making the purchase.
I appreciate your advice. I want something that looks nice, classy,and is respectable. I don't need a watch right now that costs 3000-4000 dollars. I am a student who doesn't have that kind of money or that much devotion for a watch, for now. I am willing to spend 300-900 dollars on a good looking, classy watch. With that in mind, is this still a poor purchase? I am open to suggestions, and I really appreciate your feedback.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I appreciate your advice. I want something that looks nice, classy,and is respectable. I don't need a watch right now that costs 3000-4000 dollars. I am a student who doesn't have that kind of money or that much devotion for a watch, for now. I am willing to spend 300-900 dollars on a good looking, classy watch. With that in mind, is this still a poor purchase? I am open to suggestions, and I really appreciate your feedback. 

My advice again would be to spend as little as possible on something you already believe not to be the end goal but a substitute and pocket the rest and save for the one you really want. I think you'll be much happier in the long run. There are plenty sub $300 watches that would be more than adequate for this purpose.

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not a poor purchase, but it's not as nice as you maybe think it is. It is a run-of-the-mill quartz dressed up in fancy Burberry clothes. Return it and get a nice, simple, and, yes, classy Seiko for quite a bit less than $800. Then, at some future time, if you decide you want a nice, mechanical, quality watch, do your research first or come back here and ask for recommendations. You'll be inundated with them!

But, honestly, return the Burberry watch. Burberry doesn't make watches, they just slap their logo on them.

AwfullyNiceGuy

Reaction score
I recently did some research into a good entry level watch and even though I didn't end up buying anything, I did narrow it down to a couple of candidates.

If you decide to follow dddress' advice and purchase a watch ''to get by'' with, I would suggest either a Seiko for a diver (like the skx007) or Orient Watches' Bambino FER24004B(black face and steel) for a dress watch. Now these are both sub 200 dollars(last time I checked).
http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SKX007K2-Divers-Automatic-Watch/dp/B000B5OD4I/ref=pd_sim_241_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1MSTW9CDX6SBV3B5M2TF
http://orientwatchusa.com/er24004b

If you would rather hit something of a similar price to the Burberry you bought(e.g. the higher end of your price spectrum) you have a couple of good candidates. Personally I would perhaps safe up at this point for a ''classic'', like an omega, otherwise I would be very tempted by Hamilton Khaki, either their pilot or field watches:

http://www.wristwatcharea.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Hamilton-Khaki-Field-Banner.jpg (the Hamilton Khaki Field)
http://www.worldwatchreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/hamilton-khaki-pilot-watch.jpg

These can supposedly be found on discount around 500-600 dollars sometimes(someone reported seeing them at that price back when I was looking).

Last edited:

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Burberry watch you bought is, in my opinion, not worth $800. It is not classic, nor is it a particularly classy watch. I would return it. The only high quality items Burberry makes are found in their prorsum (spelling?) clothing line.

In your price range, I would strongly suggest a Hamilton automatic, something from the jazzmaster line.

http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collection/american-classic/jazzmaster

Seiko is another excellent choice, but in this price range, I think the Jazzmaster is a better buy.

Last edited:

RTflux

Reaction score
Been watching these forums for a while, mainly for shoe info, but I happen to enjoy watches as well and am also on a strict budget as a student. So first post here.

Basically, everybody telling you Burberry is nothing special is absolutely correct. The entry level quartz movement will most likely be the same one found in $100 fossils. Fashion brand watches such as Burberry basically slap their logo on and make the outside of the watch look "nicer" and then sell for much higher prices than what you are getting from a quality point of view.

Most people here will agree that it is a good rule of thumb to only purchase watches from a company that solely makes watches/timepieces. Consequently, that means Macy's is not the best place to be looking for quality watches. Even though at the moment im wearing a Citizen radio controlled perpetual chrono purchased from macy's.

If you do not know already, learn the differences between quartz and mechanical/automatic watches and decide what suits your needs best. For a cheap automatic, try to take a look at Seiko and Orient while you save up for a nicer piece in the 1k-5k range.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Reaction score
I really appreciate the responses - thank you guys.

I've always been about style, look, brand, etc. More flashy than quality, which is probably why I went with the Burberry watch. My mother loves it.

I'm really digging that orient watch, and even those hamiltons. Not a fan of the siekos. What stores usually have these? I'd love to try them on.

Seamless

Reaction score
Used Omegas can be found in that price range.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 99 34.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 88 30.4%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 33 11.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.4%