• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just bought some Church's. Should they look like this after 1 wear?

Poncho1992

Reaction score
I Went to Liverpool for the weekend (in the UK) and visited the Church's outlet store in Cheshire Oaks. Whilst I thought the service and shop itself were both brilliant, I can't help but wonder if I've been duped here.. Tried on a pair of Legate shoes and decided they were the ones for me. Another assistant went to box them up (I couldn't see this happening) as I paid at the till. Didn't look at them until I took them out of the box yesterday and wore them for about 5 hours. You can see for yourself what they look like below. The left shoe has significantly more creasing than the right and I can't help but wonder whether they put a different pair in the box and kept the ones I tried on for the display! (they seemed to have low stocks of most shoes in whilst I was there). Can I get some advice/opinions on this? Also, rate my shoes! Second shoe purchase after my Loake 1880's Chester.

Part 2: This is where it gets (slightly) more interesting. They had an offer of buy 2 or more pairs and recieve 10% off each. I only wished to purchase the one pair so I asked another customer if he wanted to buy his with me in a single transaction to save money (they were £210 total with discount). I drew cash out and he paid on card so I have a duplicate receipt. Would this in any way affect what I could do about this if they are faulty?

Picture time!

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say that no, full-price shoes shouldn't crease as distinctly as that. Having said that you purchased them at an outlet which is specifically and explicitly a store for "seconds quality" shoes. You can't really be surprised if the skin isn't perfect, because they would have been sold at £450 at a proper shop if they had been. Businesses (especially ones owned by Prada) don't knock £200 off their products unless they are sub-standard.

They are still very good shoes, and will last you at least a few years, and you paid the same as you would for Loake 1880 line shoes. Keep them, wear them and next time buy brands you can afford at full price; buying something on the cheap will never give you the full experience, and it'll just end up tarnishing your opinion of the brand.

Poncho1992

Reaction score
I would agree had they said they were. However, they specifically stated one side of the store were seconds and the other were full quality.

Chowkin

Reaction score
Do your Loakes exhibit the same kind of creases? Could be the way you walk. My understanding is that seconds mostly contain errors that have nothing to do with leather quality, e.g. A crooked toe cap, difference in colour between left and right shoe. My experience is that Church's last a lot longer than Loakes. In any case, shoes, regardless of leather quality, crease after wear, so enjoy them!

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The creasing does look odd. Is there a stamp in the shoes that indicate if they're seconds?

bjornb17

Reaction score
The only shoes I had that ever did that were corrected grains.

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
Interesting creases after just 1 wear for sure. Since you got a good deal though, just wear them and be happy. Use shoe trees and keep them conditioned and polished and I'm sure they will be fine.

Verniza

Reaction score

The only shoes I had that ever did that were corrected grains.

This.

Having creases on shoes are normal but that leather looks cheap and bad. Reminds me of corrected grain.

spitshine123

Reaction score
This.

Having creases on shoes are normal but that leather looks cheap and bad. Reminds me of corrected grain.

+1. Not a leather expert by any means, but it is reminiscent to me of AE seconds skins that have higher than normal "fat" content in them

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t worry about them too much. They are pair of shoes. The creasing may look odd in the picture(to some taking picture of your shoe is odd) but when on your feet no one will notice them.

Isbister

Reaction score
Expensive shoes should not crease like that - these look like seconds. Church's appear to be using parts of the hide that the top-end makers discard - even at the highly discounted price you paid, I would say they are pushing it.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was there any claim that they should have been priced higher? If there is no marker that they have been heavily discounted then you may well have bought cheaper shoes made for that outlet. Cheshire Oaks is known for being an outlet for 'names' at cheaper prices... Labels not quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads