• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Just bought first AEs from the Shoe Bank (from Canada!) update inside

uwphysmed

Reaction score
Newsflash: Basic Allen Edmonds retail for $375 and up here in Toronto, despite the CAD being roughly on par with the USD. The AE Mequon store, which has been mentioned here a few times as being friendly to Canadians, was struck down by god or something.

Last week's sale on the Fifth avenue was too much to pass up, so I called the Brookfield store and spoke with Jerry. He was great, arranged everything, and the package arrived at my door yesterday. I had requested USPS shipping, which he agreed to for $25, but the package was delivered by DHL

Executive Summary:
===============
Exchange rate charged, $1.01CAD/$1.00USD
Fifth avenues, burnished brown, $230
Strand, Walnut, Seconds, $200
Shipping, $25
Duty, None. Everything marked MADE IN THE USA
Brokerage fee, $7
HST, $~60
Replacing some sweet ass Kenneth Coles with SF semi-approved shoes, $Priceless

Pics or it didn't happen:

Maybe I should post these on the FS board?

Omega Man

Reaction score
Good for you and welcome to the club. I quite like the Strand. AE shoes are obscenely expensive in Canada. Hope you will never go back to KC. Now you just have to resist the temptation of getting more!

Eight

Reaction score
I just bought some fifths from amazon.com, sent to canada by DHL... They had the brown at 206$ +11$ shipping (expedited) and 66$ of pre-empitive tax & brokerage escrow.
Total: 284$ shipped to Canada.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No offence but for a little bit more, you could've had C&J firsts shipped to your door.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say that there is something vaguely appealing about those quarter brogues. 360 velt on an oxford still looks wrong, and yet there is something vintage and no-nonsense about that last and construction, and about where the brogueing is placed.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
No offence but for a little bit more, you could've had C&J firsts shipped to your door.

Not exactly. P. Lal has most models at 1199 Malaysian Ringit, which works out to approx. $390 CDN. For comparable shoes at Pediwear, the prices are similar. Tack on shipping, duty, brokerage fees and taxes, you are probably looking at approximately $500 CDN when everything is all said and done. The OP got two pairs of shoes for $522. While I don't think he got an exceptional deal, I think he did alright.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered my first AE yesterday as well, an upgrade from $25 dr. scholl's walmart shoes

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
A little more detail please. From where, from Pediwear. Don't forget Canadians will pay much more damage in duty.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Animal Thug
OP has been initiated. Congrats!

he's supposed to be "jumped in"!!!

Omega Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Animal Thug
OP has been initiated. Congrats!

I can see a fast and deep downward spiral in the bank accounts

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uwphysmed

Is it an illusion, or is the toe cap much shorter on the dark brown pair? If there is a difference that would explain why the Strand looks so much better than all the other AE cap toes I've seen.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
Not exactly. P. Lal has most models at 1199 Malaysian Ringit, which works out to approx. $390 CDN. For comparable shoes at Pediwear, the prices are similar. Tack on shipping, duty, brokerage fees and taxes, you are probably looking at approximately $500 CDN when everything is all said and done. The OP got two pairs of shoes for $522. While I don't think he got an exceptional deal, I think he did alright.

Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
A little more detail please. From where, from Pediwear. Don't forget Canadians will pay much more damage in duty.

Bodileys, all day, every day. Shipping is included in the price and they're great at working with you to ensure that duties are minimized.

So yes, you will pay a bit more than $200 but I think $350-400 is well worth it for a better looking shoe.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tough to tell from the pics on my laptop, but what makes those Strands "seconds"?

Originally Posted by uwphysmed
Maybe I should post these on the FS board?

No, burn them.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.