• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just bought a suit

Je355804

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just recently bought an Armani Suit from Bergdorf Goodman and then got it tailored at Armani on Madison... it was an off the rack suit however ($2,750.)

Was this stupid of me??? Would I have been much better off buying a suit that was custom made?

I thought the suit was nice, but since I just graduated from medical school, and have not really had a need for a suit until now I've never really bought a suit before... so quit honestly, I had no clue what I was doing. Now I'm scared I made the wrong choice.

I'm 6'2 and 185 lean with broad shoulders, so the suit seemed to fit rather naturally. I'm just wondering now if I would have gotten a much better suit if I would have went custom.

Last edited:

zhirzzh

Reaction score
You should have gone custom, or with a better brand. Armani is overmarketed. Brands like Zenga make nicer clothing. That said, as long as it is fully canvassed, you probably got a fairly nice suit. You've had it tailored, and there isn't anything wrong with it, so you can't return it. If you still feel uncertain, you may want to post pics.

Je355804

Reaction score
You should have gone custom, or with a better brand. Armani is overmarketed. Brands like Zenga make nicer clothing. That said, as long as it is fully canvassed, you probably got a fairly nice suit. You've had it tailored, and there isn't anything wrong with it, so you can't return it. If you still feel uncertain, you may want to post pics.

Well, I suppose I didn't realize custom was an option... I had this idea in my head that custom would be MUCH more expensive than an off the rack. I tried on about 15 different suits, and the Armani suit just seemed to look the best on me out of everything I tried on.

I'm happy with it, I guess this was a major live and learn experience.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it fits, you got a decent suit and a great status symbol item. Just flash the inner pocket-tag at parties and watch the panties melt. That's a worthy $2,750 investment.

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the price, you probably got a G. Armani suit which is also fully canvassed.

Just enjoyed the garment, pic a fit pic when the item had been tailored

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If it fits, you got a decent suit and a great status symbol item. Just flash the inner pocket-tag at parties and watch the panties melt. That's a worthy $2,750 investment.

Isn't it better just to leave the sleeve label attached? ... that way "ARMANI" is visible for all to see.

Last edited:

sullivan025

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For that amount, yes, you should've gotten custom suits instead.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is water under the bridge at this point. You may have been able to do better, but if it fits well and you like it - wear in good health!

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is water under the bridge at this point. You may have been able to do better, but if it fits well and you like it - wear in good health!

+1

Enjoy your suit, you could have done worse in this scenario. There is definitely an emphasis on SF to get anything and everything at steep discount, but if it fits, is a quality item, and makes you content, then it was a job well done. As someone once pointed out to me on SF, someone has to buy full retail so that us scavengers can reek the benefits of bargain shopping. Power to you :D

How about some fit pics, so that we can toil away in nitpicking fit and throw some snark your way? :nodding:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like others said, shake off your buyer's remorse. Yes, it's a hefty price for an OTR suit and custom may have been the way to go. No, you can't usually go wrong with a fully canvassed suit.

What matters is that you tried on a lot of things and liked this fit the best.

Congrats on your purchase. Now make sure to pick up some really nice pocket squares and ties if you don't own them already and get your money's worth out of that suit.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post pics of the suit. It's not too often we see pics of an Armani Black Label suit on the forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads