1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Just bought a suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Je355804, Mar 11, 2012.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

post flicks when you get it tailored...

2. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

I have to disagree lefty.

Although there is some Armani bashing on the forum (esp. Collezioni), I think the consensus is that Black label is a solid purchase.

I want to see the pics because (up here in Canada) Armani Black label is hard to find and I'd like to take the plunge at some point.

So there won't be nitpicking on my end!

3. Je355804

Je355804 Member

I am not sure if the suit is Collezioni or Black Label. It seems as though everyone is assuming it's black label for some reason. It's at the tailor so I won't really know until it gets back.

May I ask why everyone assumes it's Collezioni?

4. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

For $2,750... We are assuming its not Collezioni, those usually go for $1,600. But I have a feeling you should quit while your stock is respectable. If the suit buying ends here, enjoy your purchase.

If you are serious about sartorial style and knowledge, stick around, post the fit pics, and learn from the colorful (but often objective) critiques sure to follow.

5. newintown23

newintown23 Well-Known Member

Im glad im not the only one who learned the hard way. You must start somewhere right? To the OP, i understand your frustration. I went through a very similar experience a very short time ago. Im sure you walked in, and the Armani suit caught your eye, and once you tried it on, you were sold. I did the same thing with a Hugo suit a few weeks ago, and since have been beat up on the forum, but it was a great learning experience. If your in NY, check out Suit Supply in Soho for cheap suits OTR which fit like a glove. Im happy with my purchase for the money. Id be curious to see the pics myself.

6. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

I like Boss quite a bit actually; I visit the outlet often when they have their suit sales ($200 for a Boss suit is a good deal imo).

7. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

I saw somebody at a bar doing this with a Kenneth Cole suit. I kid you not.

8. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

no need to kid. i see that shit all da time..suits/overcoats/etc...

9. matt1

matt1 Well-Known Member

I think at some point you will eventually try the custom tailoring route.

10. ddonicht

ddonicht Well-Known Member

As most people said, you did fine even if not the best "value". You are happy with it and that is what truly matters.

I think most people here will agree that if you are at all inclined to buck the trend of the slovenly dressed American male, stick around and read the forums for a while before making any other big purchases. It will help you know what to look for, how much to spend, and how it should fit. After that, find yourself a good local tailor who you trust. Mid-level garments can look great if they are fitted to you correctly but an expensive piece will still look bad if not adjusted right.

If you need shirts, I have good experiences with http://moderntailor.com/ but you could find someone in your area to make one for you. You can get some off the rack and have them adjusted but eventually you'll find that the made to measure (MTM) or bespoke ones will just fit better. Allen Edmonds are a pretty good shoe to start with. They are decent quality, made in the US, and have a lot of styles to choose from. If you do want to get another suit or two for selection but don't want to spend huge amount, the Style-Wizard on ebay has about the best price you are going to see for what you get outside of great sales somewhere. Here is the address for that store: http://stores.ebay.com/The-Wizard-of-Aahs?_rdc=1

Enjoy the journey.

11. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Jesusfuckingchrist.

lefty

12. Profacio

Profacio Well-Known Member

Pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?