Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Just bought a suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Je355804, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Je355804

Je355804 Member

Hello everyone. I just recently bought an Armani Suit from Bergdorf Goodman and then got it tailored at Armani on Madison... it was an off the rack suit however ($2,750.)

Was this stupid of me??? Would I have been much better off buying a suit that was custom made?

I thought the suit was nice, but since I just graduated from medical school, and have not really had a need for a suit until now I've never really bought a suit before... so quit honestly, I had no clue what I was doing. Now I'm scared I made the wrong choice.

I'm 6'2 and 185 lean with broad shoulders, so the suit seemed to fit rather naturally. I'm just wondering now if I would have gotten a much better suit if I would have went custom.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

2. zhirzzh

zhirzzh Member

You should have gone custom, or with a better brand. Armani is overmarketed. Brands like Zenga make nicer clothing. That said, as long as it is fully canvassed, you probably got a fairly nice suit. You've had it tailored, and there isn't anything wrong with it, so you can't return it. If you still feel uncertain, you may want to post pics.

3. Je355804

Je355804 Member

Well, I suppose I didn't realize custom was an option... I had this idea in my head that custom would be MUCH more expensive than an off the rack. I tried on about 15 different suits, and the Armani suit just seemed to look the best on me out of everything I tried on.

I'm happy with it, I guess this was a major live and learn experience.

4. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

If it fits, you got a decent suit and a great status symbol item. Just flash the inner pocket-tag at parties and watch the panties melt. That's a worthy $2,750 investment.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

5. Je355804

Je355804 Member

Fair enough haha. Thank you for the replies!

6. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

With the price, you probably got a G. Armani suit which is also fully canvassed.

Just enjoyed the garment, pic a fit pic when the item had been tailored

7. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Isn't it better just to leave the sleeve label attached? ... that way "ARMANI" is visible for all to see.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

8. elitefashionss

elitefashionss New Member

9. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Senior member

That is what I did with my Hugo Boss suits.

It feels like a baller!

10. sullivan025

sullivan025 Senior member

For that amount, yes, you should've gotten custom suits instead.

11. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

It is water under the bridge at this point. You may have been able to do better, but if it fits well and you like it - wear in good health!

12. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

+1

Enjoy your suit, you could have done worse in this scenario. There is definitely an emphasis on SF to get anything and everything at steep discount, but if it fits, is a quality item, and makes you content, then it was a job well done. As someone once pointed out to me on SF, someone has to buy full retail so that us scavengers can reek the benefits of bargain shopping. Power to you :D

How about some fit pics, so that we can toil away in nitpicking fit and throw some snark your way? :nodding:

13. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to buy custom suits as you progress in your career. No worries.

14. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Like others said, shake off your buyer's remorse. Yes, it's a hefty price for an OTR suit and custom may have been the way to go. No, you can't usually go wrong with a fully canvassed suit.

What matters is that you tried on a lot of things and liked this fit the best.

Congrats on your purchase. Now make sure to pick up some really nice pocket squares and ties if you don't own them already and get your money's worth out of that suit.

15. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Post pics of the suit. It's not too often we see pics of an Armani Black Label suit on the forum.