• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just bought a suit! What needs to be done?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're easily looking at around 150-180 for alterations to make this look "great" and this is WITHOUT moving the shoulders in

u8myburger

Reaction score
What do you mean moving the shoulders in? I was under the impression tailors cant do anything that involves the shoulder

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just take it back, you brought the wrong size and frankly the suit is poorly cut

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alright so according to your suggestions, I sized it down and thank goodness I consulted with everyone before doing so. Below are the pictures of the new suit... please tell me what you think! Thanks again!
The only thing I notice is that the chest area lifts up from by body about 1/2 inch. Is that too much? Second, I included pictures of the trousers, should i still slim them down?

2w6tr85.jpg

20fdamp.jpg

jfezut.jpg

15xobpg.jpg

140j5tl.jpg

Sorry to say it, but I think the jacket on this one is too small. The lapels are bowing outward and you said they don't lay flat against your chest, which means the jacket is too tight in the chest. Also, I can see your delts bulging out the sleeves past the shoulders of the jacket, another sign it's too small. Maybe this particular cut just isn't right for you.

Verniza

Reaction score
The cut of the suit doesn't match your body. Try another designer.

irgator04

Reaction score
I just bought a fitzgerald from brooks brothers this weekend. I am going in for the fitting this Saturday. This is my first suit so any advice during the fitting? Sorry I hope I am not hijacking your thread. Lol

I posted about this a while back on my thread about buying a wedding suit, I just didn't want to bring that thread back to the top. lol

u8myburger

Reaction score

[/SPOILER]
Sorry to say it, but I think the jacket on this one is too small. The lapels are bowing outward and you said they don't lay flat against your chest, which means the jacket is too tight in the chest. Also, I can see your delts bulging out the sleeves past the shoulders of the jacket, another sign it's too small. Maybe this particular cut just isn't right for you.

It's actually my tricep you see, not my delt

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
This entire thread is a good example of why any sizing related advice should be almost entirely discounted -- except at the margins, it's very difficult to tell from pictures whether something does in fact fit and, if it does not, why not. You have multiple people simultaneously telling this original poster to (1) get the shoulders taken in, (2) get a suit with wider shoulders, (3) that the waist may look to tight, (4) take the waist in, (5) that the suit is too small, and (6) that there is too much fabric.

The best advice I can give is that you need to understand for yourself how a suit should fit and what a tailor can and cannot do relatively easily in terms of a suit.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1, I missed the part where OP stated that the chest is lifting up. My apologies. There is a three dimensionality of fit that you can't capture well in pictures. And there is also an element of personal style ( I say the jacket is too short; someone else says its too long).

This is another situation where an experienced tailor can look at the suit and offer specific guidance. See if the suit shop has an in-house tailor.

u8myburger

Reaction score

+1, I missed the part where OP stated that the chest is lifting up. My apologies. There is a three dimensionality of fit that you can't capture well in pictures. And there is also an element of personal style ( I say the jacket is too short; someone else says its too long).

This is another situation where an experienced tailor can look at the suit and offer specific guidance. See if the suit shop has an in-house tailor.
Yeah, I was going to take the suit to one of most talked about tailors in my area. I'll let him have the final say.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's good to get some advice especially from a competent tailor or habderdasher, but you also need to know what you want. Then there is a balance between what you want the suit to look like and what the tailor can reasonably do to alter it.

u8myburger

Reaction score

It's good to get some advice especially from a competent tailor or habderdasher, but you also need to know what you want. Then there is a balance between what you want the suit to look like and what the tailor can reasonably do to alter it.
Alright so he said the 42 fits, but if I gain just a few pounds from weight training it might fit too small therefore a 43 would be best. The 44 (what I first posted) was too big and the arms were sloppy. As far as the trousers go, leg width is good, just the waist and seat need to be taken in

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It should more than a "few" pounds to change the fit of your suit, but I won't argue with your tailor. I think he's referring specifically to muscle mass, but even then that's a lot of muscle mass. When I started weight training in my 20s, I gained about 10lb but it wasn't all muscle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads