• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just bought a pair of new AE Van Ness

bjornb17

Reaction score
For $170 or so, new in box, not seconds from 6pm.com. Amidoingitright?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you were doing it right you would have bought Aldens.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH

laugh.gif

RangerP

Reaction score
I like them.

That's a pretty good price. Didn't know about this site. I'll definitely check them out before I buy a new pair.

I'm sure you know but those have a rubber sole. Not my favorite but they serve their purpose.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
That's a good price. I get the comparison between AE and Alden in an alternate reality where everyone pays retail for both, but in the real world AE's can be had regularly brand new for under $200, whereas Alden is pretty much only available at retail ($400+ for non-cordovan). For twice the price, I would hope the Aldens are better.

OP: I just got a fully-loaded Nissan Maxima for under $30k. Amidoingitright?
SF: If you were doing it right, you'd have bought a BMW 5 Series.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RangerP
I like them.

That's a pretty good price. Didn't know about this site. I'll definitely check them out before I buy a new pair.

I'm sure you know but those have a rubber sole. Not my favorite but they serve their purpose.

I've bought two other AE shoes on that site with good luck, recently AE Tribecas for about $70. They update their stock often but usually only have a couple sizes available. Basically AE seconds prices but for a new shoe.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by reidrothchild
That's a good price. I get the comparison between AE and Alden in an alternate reality where everyone pays retail for both, but in the real world AE's can be had regularly brand new for under $200, whereas Alden is pretty much only available at retail ($400+ for non-cordovan). For twice the price, I would hope the Aldens are better.

Haha, i guess I should have known better asking here. Reminds me of the thread where some guy was showing off his $1000 watch, and somebody said that it was not worthwhile buying a watch under $5000 because they are all crap below that price.

Unregistered

Reaction score
Well done OP!

I was so very close to buying a pair of Van Ness in Chili when they had their sale for $199 for a pair of "firsts"... then remembered that at one point they had the seconds on sale for $129. I'm still very angry at myself for missing out on that one.

I have my guy at the Brookfield location keeping an eye out for me! Terrific chap who's helped me with the 5 pairs of seconds I've bought...

Broadus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
For $170 or so, new in box, not seconds from 6pm.com. Amidoingitright?

A good-looking shoe at a good price for new. I just got in a pair of Lombards in burgundy for $188 from a sale that Shoebuy had going.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH

Right is spending 25-50% more for shoes that lately are proving to be no better made (which is not not to say "made poorly"?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reidrothchild

Meh, I would have suggested an M3.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads