• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Just bought a pair of Allen-Edmonds Delray - my thoughts

BostonElitist

Reaction score
I just bought my second pair of AEs. My first pair, I bought back in May, and those featured adhered construction. Those shoes are the Bucktown, which are great and only $125 from E-bay (not used). They were *much* better than my Johnston and Murphy of a very similar construction, and those were $149.

This time, I purchased the Delrays, since I've been fascinated with 360-degree welt-construction. Now that I have them, this is what I think:
1. Yes, they look great, but they don't look like they're worth $325. They look like they are only half this much.
2. Moreover, on AE's website, the page dedicated to the Delray, espouses the features of this shoe as increased breathability, comfort due to the molding effect of the cork, and also, recraftability. I have an issue with all 3. Regarding breathability: I personally don't find any difference between this shoe and my other shoes. Regarding improved comfort due to the cork bed: All dress shoes are equally comfortable or uncomfortable. I'm sure that we *NEVER* buy a formal shoe only for comfort. That's what running shoes are for. Finally, the recraftability: Who needs to recraft a shoe for $149 when you can EASILY buy a brand-new pair of EXCELLENT and CONTEMPORARY shoes? That is such a gimmick.

All in all, these shoes are over-rated, over-priced, and they represent a triumph of marketing. They LOOK IDENTICAL to what you can get at a Macy's (i.e. their Alfani brands are very similar, except they don't feature the welt-construction) or at other nice shoe stores. Moreover, the COMFORT is identical - not better or worse - than these other shoes which would cost 70% less than these shoes. The comfort of a dress shoe which fits is in a narrow band, and you really can't tell them apart.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Say what you want, the Delray's get me tons of action. Women love them. Don't ask me why.

Maybe it's the cork footbed?

I forgot: If you buy AE's anywhere near full price, I'm surprised you know how to operate a web browser.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
Say what you want, the Delray's get me tons of action. Women love them. Don't ask me why.

Maybe it's the cork footbed?

I forgot: If you buy AE's anywhere near full price, I'm surprised you know how to operate a web browser.

Yours are probably seconds, which have pure animal magnetism built right into the heel.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry you are disappointed in your purchase.

I like all of my Allen Edmonds shoes and they are the most comfortable dress shoes I own. Granted, they aren't as comfortable as sports shoes, but they are comfortable.

As far as recrafting - I only paid $99 for my most recent recraft. And I got back a pair of shoes that look brand new and are already broken in to my feet - more comfortable than a new pair.

I have some AE shoes that are 20 years old. Their style is timeless. Granted, it may not be cutting edge, but the style has endured for 20 years - and so have the shoes themselves.

Chris

wetnose

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reason for recrafting's existence is that Allen Edmonds will occassionally discontinue a last - which would make it impossible to buy a similiar shoe.

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
+1 to every negative comment about AE on SF. AE is getting by on its reputation built on past glory. I can't believe they sell their shoes at the prices they do. I can't believe they charge as much for their belts as Alden does. I own a couple pair of AEs that I like, but for the most part I've been very disappointed.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.