• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just bought a new suit, looking for a shirt to match!

clubbyjones

Reaction score
I just bought a new crepe wool suit (Armani black label) off ebay. While I love the suit, I have never had a suit with soft shoulders or a lapel quite like this. I was curious if any of you could help me pick a type of shirt to match with it.

Here are pictures of the suit:
suit1.jpg

suit2.jpg

suit3.jpg

suit4.jpg

Are there any bespoke shirts that I could have altered? Should I look into a custom shirt? You all are the experts; I'd love to hear your input.

Thanks in advance!

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How long is that thing?!

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clubbyjones
I just bought a new crepe wool suit (Armani black label) off ebay. Are there any bespoke shirts that I could have altered?
It would be a pretty awful bespoke experience if you then had to have it altered. BTW I thought crepe was something used only in women's clothing
confused.gif
. Are you sure that's menswear?

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
It would a pretty awful bespoke experience if you then had to have it altered.

Funny, isn't it.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
It would be a pretty awful bespoke experience if you then had to have it altered.

BTW I thought crepe was something used only in women's clothing
confused.gif
. Are you sure that's menswear?

Armani likes to use crepe wool in their suits. They're kind of nice with a spongy but light feel.

Reaction score
Crepe is not a woman's fabric. However it is a casual fabric, Clubby. I made a black crepe for a client a few years ago and he only wore it casually and out to clubs. He loved it. Crepes are not real durable fabric so you may not get the life span out of it that you would a harder finish.

As far as black goes, you will have a difficult time finding shirts that do not go with it. I would avoid really dressy shirts like most white solids.

You are using the word 'bespoke' incorrectly unless you were talking about buying a custom shirt or one someone else had made for themselves but you are buying it instead. Bespoke generally means hand made for one specific person, involving all of their measurements and multiple fittings to perfect it.

What do you think this is, Ebay, Velvet Valet?

nbutter

Reaction score
armani has a very specific style for suits, shirts, and ties, which does work harmoniously together.

once you start trying to mix in pieces from different, let's say, vocabularies, their stuff can seem quite weird.

so maybe buy some armani shirts?

they're going to have fairly small and pointed collars (NOT the big spread collars generally favored on SF). rarely button-down but sometimes tab collars. typically in grey or blue, often with narrow hairline stripes. darker tones than you might otherwise choose. dark ties, too -- dull grey, black, midnight navy, dark dark burgundy. the shirt/tie combo in the picture is not untypical.

calvin klein is a good substitute brand (stylistically, that is, i don't think the quality is so hot).

the whole look feels very early 90s to me.

again, it is not the usual styleforum look.

but you may be better off staying within the stylistic register of the suit, rather than trying to merge with a totally different look....

estevener

Reaction score
i can second the shoddiness in the construction and fabric of CK shirts. Might as well try to keep it Armani, or go for bespoke

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Getting back to basics, that is a women's suit. The jacket is far too long to be a men's suit. And the way the jacket skirt hugs the hips and tapers at the bottom...

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
frown.gif

Goes to show you, do your research and ask questions before buying.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to break this to you, but that's a woman's suit, you can tell by the length and the shapely silhouette of the jacket. What is the sellers return policy?

Also, try to stay away from all black suits. I would look for a nice dark Charcoal color or something.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's a woman's suit, shouldn't the buttons close right-over-left?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads