• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just bought a new car.......

JoMak_NYC

Reaction score
.....beige leather interior. Should I be worried about bleeding?
confused.gif

Current rotation:
RRDS
NS
Somet
5EP (one wash)

I haven't washed any of them since I purchased them. Should I get seat covers? Or do I just sit on a towel? I was thinking black leather but the beige looked so much nicer. TIA for the advice.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What if you get a beige seat cover? or black...=)

Hoya Saxa

Reaction score
Use lexol leather cleaner. Should take it right out. At least it does for me. I too have beige seats.

Hoya

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
My last suv had beige leather seats and the seat itself I sat on didnt turn indigo, but the side where my leg would rub against going in/out turned blue and didnt really ever come out completely.

weirdnjfan1

Reaction score
Use a towel to sit on when you drive, it's the best thing to do.

JoMak_NYC

Reaction score
Ok, I haven't taken delivery yet. Is this enough of an issue that any of you wish you ha gone for a darker interior? I think at this point I can just make a call to my fin co. and ins co. to update the VIN, should I actually decide to change it (the car).

Honestly though, isn't it kind of crazy that I am even considering doing that. Should our lives revolve around our jeans? Or vice versa?

vanity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoMak_NYC
Honestly though, isn't it kind of crazy that I am even considering doing that. Should our lives revolve around our jeans? Or vice versa?

Yes, it is crazy. It was on Cheap Monday's site, I believe, where it said "Be careful sitting on that new couch, color may bleed"; that I realized this denim facination has gone from a "fun-hobby" to "extremist-stupid". Don't wash them, don't get them wet, don't sweat in them, dry clean only, etc etc.

Personally, I think it's annoying. If I knowingly buy an article of clothing that will bleed and ruin my furniture, car, or shirts, and that I cannot wash b/c it'll be ruined, well then I'm just a fool. Especially if I paid upwards of $200 for it.

To put it bluntly, some of the denim people need to wake the **** up. They're idiots.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Shag seat covers? Soaking them really doesn't mess up the whole process much. The 6 month rule is arbitrary as a lot of people have great wear and fades and wash them once a month or two. Soaking them once knocks some loose indigo out. Seat covers are an option as well(at least ones that cover the bottom).

I don't think people are idiots for buying raw jeans that may lose indigo on white fabrics. I mean, i wore basketball shorts and a tshirt today and it makes me feel like an idiot for ever wearing anything but when the weather is above 65. Slim jeans will never be as comfortable as basketball shorts, but people here and on sufu don't really care that much if they're a bit snugger than baggy mall jeans. The look, denim, fit and construction are worth little pains. I think if stuff like that actually bothers them, then those people should just avoid dry jeans. I know that my new white shoes are getting a bit of blue on them, and that i might get some indigo on a couch or something, but it's not that big a deal to me i guess. If i cared i wouldn't buy em'.

Seriously though JoMak, if you don't really care about putting a towel down or getting a seat cover, than just do it. I don't think anyone would judge you and i don't think you have to feel like a crazy person for doing so. You like your jeans, you like your clean seats, you want to keep both. No biggie.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with you vanity. People take things a bit far. They're just clothes.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok heres how i see it. Putting towels on your brand new car is just rediculous. You bought the seats to have the beige leather showing, not to have a towel on them.

I can logically only see two options, never wear bleeding denim while in your car, or get a darker leather interior. Since you already have the jeans (and im assuming spent big $$ on them) and your car isn't in yet I would just get the darker leather.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard people with light-colored car upholstery or couches complain about stains from jeans (among other things) who were not particularly into clothes, so it's not really a denimhead thing, it's just the reality of beige leather.

vanity

Reaction score
Does anyone see the irony in that SF really looks down upon "Expensive, but cheap quality" items such as Prada shoes and Boss suits, yet a lot of members are tripping over themselves to buy denim that'll be ruined simply by a single washing cycle? How do we justify $300 for AE shoes of "impeccible quality", then pair them with a pair of $250 Nudies that'll fall apart if the humidity breaks 70%?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that raw jeans broke down and fell apart after washing?
rolleyes.gif
Not everyone does the whole arbitrary 6 month thing. A lot of guys skate pretty hard in their jeans. I understand where you're coming from, vanity but being really over the top about it just makes you come off as bitter or something. People don't really care about prada shoes that much, but most people will say you can get similarly styled and constructed shoes for cheaper. A lot of people have expensive shoe brands like that (get smart has some dolce and gabbana and i've seen guys on sufu with prada/dior/gucci and people compliment them). Jeans are a bit harder to find a cheap alternative with a similar look/fit/construction. I agree that people are a bit too into denim sometimes, especially with the whole never washing or letting them get rained on and stuff like that. But that's mostly just new people asking questions. I think the more knowledgeable people don't really care or worry about that stuff. It's cool that you don't like that stuff, but posting incorrect bitter remarks makes you look petty, man. Sorry. dtmt: I agree with you. People don't realize that non-raw jeans bleed too. Just the other day some guy was talking to me about how he was annoyed that his jeans were bleding on his white shoes(random medium wash predistressed mall brand). JoMak, if you care abotu your jeans and your seats(which i assume you do), why not solve both your problems. Much better than having seats and jeans you're not completely happy with. Do what makes you happy and have a sense of humor about it if a friend makes fun of you.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
My drivers seat is knackered. Like Get Smart the side of the seat were I climb in and out is Blue and starting to tear. I guess the whole premise is ridiculous.

I certainly will only opt for Gray/Black interior on my next car because I won't compromise what I wear.."I guess I am a vain twat after all"!.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics