jury duty

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MrGoodBytes, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Milpool

Milpool Senior member

I've never been called for jury duty. I'd actually be interested in being on a jury.

2. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Senior member

FYI, you still get called (at least in California state courts and the federal courts) if you're a lawyer. And I have made it onto a jury despite being a practicing lawyer, as have colleagues of mine.

yeah i know. im assuming they wouldn't but who knows

3. MrGoodBytes

MrGoodBytes Senior member

well just an update... I got out of Jury duty, mainly because the county that called me in isn't actually the county I live in (same address, not sure why there was confusion in the matter, but I think my county property tax bill cleared it up nicely).

it was nice to kinda get a half day off work... funny how everyone seems to self destruct when your not available (sometimes a cool feeling, but generally very frustrating)

4. APK

APK Senior member

Shiiit, this thread reminds me I'm desperately late sending back the "you have to do jury duty" form I got in the mail a long time ago.

5. MrGoodBytes

MrGoodBytes Senior member

both my summons have shown up less than 2 weeks before I was expected to serve... mighty short notice if I may say

6. arvidg

arvidg Senior member

What are Styleforum standards coming to these days?

You shouldn't have to ask. This is Styleforum. Dress up. Always dress up.

7. loreley

loreley Senior member

i've always wanted to get some jury duty but i fear it'll never happen: currently a student, and when i finish that i'll be a lawyer so no go ever i guess.

The foreman for our jury was a practicing lawyer (in CA)

8. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I only ever received summons while away for College. I haven't received any in the 3+ years since.

*edit* I'd probably dress in a suit or sportcoat with slacks anyways.

9. BP348

BP348 Senior member

i've always wanted to get some jury duty but i fear it'll never happen: currently a student, and when i finish that i'll be a lawyer so no go ever i guess.

Last time I went to jury duty a lawyer was selected to the jury.

10. BP348

BP348 Senior member

both my summons have shown up less than 2 weeks before I was expected to serve... mighty short notice if I may say

That's about the average. How much time do you expect to get between receiving your summons and the day you have to show up? Personally I think 2 weeks is plenty of time.

11. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Last time I was called for jury duty it was supposed to be for 3 days. I sat through voir dire for 4 cases but didn't get picked. On the afternoon of the 3rd day I was in a pool. It was for a murder case. The judge told us voir dire would probably take 3 or 4 days and then she estimated the case would take about 20 days. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Spent the afternoon listening to the same lame ass excuses I'd heard in the other pools as people tried to weasel out of it and get excused.

The next day the bailiff sent an email to everyone saying we were excused as the dude plead out.
    He had killed his roomate with a sword and claimed self defense.

The main thing I took away from jury duty however is that bailiffs are semi-attractive women in their late 20s and they don't look like Richard Moll.

12. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

I'm a lawyer and I haave to jury duty next week... probably gonna dress really sloppy.

13. intent

intent Senior member

I don't see how it's beneficial to the system to have a lawyer serve on a jury. We're stubborn pricks who can't be argued with.

14. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Senior member

Last time I went to jury duty a lawyer was selected to the jury.

yeah sounds pretty common by the looks of this thread. i was told by a lawyer pal of mine (who primarily does criminal work in court) that they strike lawyers from the pool around here. interesting, maybe there is hope for me yet.

15. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

yeah sounds pretty common by the looks of this thread. i was told by a lawyer pal of mine (who primarily does criminal work in court) that they strike lawyers from the pool around here. interesting, maybe there is hope for me yet.

They don't lawyers looking up the law and thinking to themselves-I can do better![​IMG]