1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

jury duty

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MrGoodBytes, Jan 5, 2011.

1. arvidg

arvidg Senior member

What are Styleforum standards coming to these days?

You shouldn't have to ask. This is Styleforum. Dress up. Always dress up.

2. loreley

loreley Senior member

i've always wanted to get some jury duty but i fear it'll never happen: currently a student, and when i finish that i'll be a lawyer so no go ever i guess.

The foreman for our jury was a practicing lawyer (in CA)

3. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I only ever received summons while away for College. I haven't received any in the 3+ years since.

*edit* I'd probably dress in a suit or sportcoat with slacks anyways.

4. BP348

BP348 Senior member

i've always wanted to get some jury duty but i fear it'll never happen: currently a student, and when i finish that i'll be a lawyer so no go ever i guess.

Last time I went to jury duty a lawyer was selected to the jury.

5. BP348

BP348 Senior member

both my summons have shown up less than 2 weeks before I was expected to serve... mighty short notice if I may say

That's about the average. How much time do you expect to get between receiving your summons and the day you have to show up? Personally I think 2 weeks is plenty of time.

6. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Last time I was called for jury duty it was supposed to be for 3 days. I sat through voir dire for 4 cases but didn't get picked. On the afternoon of the 3rd day I was in a pool. It was for a murder case. The judge told us voir dire would probably take 3 or 4 days and then she estimated the case would take about 20 days. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Spent the afternoon listening to the same lame ass excuses I'd heard in the other pools as people tried to weasel out of it and get excused.

The next day the bailiff sent an email to everyone saying we were excused as the dude plead out.
    He had killed his roomate with a sword and claimed self defense.

The main thing I took away from jury duty however is that bailiffs are semi-attractive women in their late 20s and they don't look like Richard Moll.

7. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

I'm a lawyer and I haave to jury duty next week... probably gonna dress really sloppy.

8. intent

intent Senior member

I don't see how it's beneficial to the system to have a lawyer serve on a jury. We're stubborn pricks who can't be argued with.

9. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Senior member

Last time I went to jury duty a lawyer was selected to the jury.

yeah sounds pretty common by the looks of this thread. i was told by a lawyer pal of mine (who primarily does criminal work in court) that they strike lawyers from the pool around here. interesting, maybe there is hope for me yet.

10. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

yeah sounds pretty common by the looks of this thread. i was told by a lawyer pal of mine (who primarily does criminal work in court) that they strike lawyers from the pool around here. interesting, maybe there is hope for me yet.

They don't lawyers looking up the law and thinking to themselves-I can do better![​IMG]

11. BP348

BP348 Senior member

It's like police officers, 20+ years ago when I got my first summons police officers were pretty much excluded. Last time I went there was a prison guard, city cop and a Border Patrol Agent in the jury pool. Of course none were placed on the jury but all still had to go through the process. I'm guess people figure if they have to go through it then so do LEO's and lawyers.

When I first moved to Texas I was in a smallish town and at my first jury duty I saw the judge give a Sheriff's Deputy 30 minutes to go home and change out of his uniform and come back to serve in his assigned jury pool because he wasn't going to excuse him because he worked in law enforcement.

I happen to agree if you're a criminal defense lawyer why can't you serve on a civil case?

12. intent

intent Senior member

I happen to agree if you're a criminal defense lawyer why can't you serve on a civil case?

Lawyers tend to think differently than regular people.

13. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

dress like a slob. guaranteed to not be chosen

I've never been called, but if I didn't want to sit on the jury my approach would be to dress up rather than down. Here in the UK I would wear a pinstripe suit, carry a copy of the FT and try to give the impression that I was looking forward to sending down some chavs for a good long stretch - and then hope the defence lawyers would oppose selection.

14. sublime.dos

sublime.dos New Member

I went into jury duty in a wife beater and dicky pants. i wasnt chosen

15. *#..

*#.. Senior member

I was called, but it turns out due to budget cuts, they weren't holding any trials the week I was supposed to show up. Hopefully this happens to you in the future as well. When they ask you questions, I'd say I was biased against cops due to bs speeding tickets, bad experiences, etc. My brother did that, and they didn't select him.

16. landshark

landshark Senior member

I had an English teacher in high school with a thick white beard and a bald head. He would always attend jury duty in a wizard cap and robe. He has never served.

17. Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro Senior member

I was summoned in Febuary of last year and got there late so they rescheduled it for the next month. Next month came and I just didnt feel like going so I didnt. They continued to send me notices to attend until I finally went...in October.

18. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I was called, but it turns out due to budget cuts, they weren't holding any trials the week I was supposed to show up. Hopefully this happens to you in the future as well. When they ask you questions, I'd say I was biased against cops due to bs speeding tickets, bad experiences, etc. My brother did that, and they didn't select him.

I said the opposite. I said I would trust cops more than the criminal who was on trial (which was the truth), and I was excused.