• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Julian Red

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
Okay i'm going to have to start an emergency thread (i haven't seen one around anyway) regarding the swedish brand, any feedback on their dry Calis? how lovely is the denim--i do know they're 14.5oz so that sounds like i'm going to die in the tropical heat considering NS at 12.75oz is just manageable (correct me if i'm wrong with that weight)--and how bad is their shrinking? I'm presuming they're as stretchy as dry denim tends to be. Size 27 in NS, and size 29 in most other stuff.

And for all that stress, i'm going to be hugging each one of you personally in thanks. try not to run away.

horriblyjollyjinx

Reaction score
I'm a size 27 APC NS and size 29 JR. The Calis are similar to NS in terms of fit and look, the difference is that the Calis have a higher waist, and you're "supposed" to wear them a little lower. They also have a slightly smaller leg opening. Denim looks pretty much the same as APC.

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
higher waist but "supposed" to wear them a little lower? how does that work?

and if they're similar to the NS maybe i'll give them a pass. damn. anyway they're on sale at fos5, 129.00 for their bullets and calis. but 27/32 and 28/32 left in stock. so technically i wouldn't have been able to buy anyway.

do i sound convincing enough? i'm not supposed to be spending money but for awhile it was really hard to stop myself from clicking checkout.

Ott

Reaction score
Originally Posted by horriblyjollyjinx
Denim looks pretty much the same as APC.
confused.gif
no it doesn't, my dry calis are very dark and streaky whereas my new standards are much shinier. My calis are also less starched in comparison to APC's raw denim. As for sizing: definitely go for for 29 or maybe even 28 if you want them tight. I bought my true waist size (30) and they don't fit me
frown.gif
I've been trying to sell them in the buy/sell forum. EDIT- as for the fit, higher rise, slightly more tapered, but the most important thing is the lower yoke/antifit seat area which definitely isn't for everyone.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I don't really think they're like APC NS either....much skinnier leg and I like the JR selvedge denim better, in terms of color and texture. and the redline seam looks really fat and killer. They're similar in being minimalistic in details, and they both have a tad shorter belt loop than normal so really thick belts may not fit.

I like the Cali a lot, it's on my regular denim rotation where APC fell off a loooong time ago.

Sizing wise, mine were pretty much true to tag, but a bit smaller than tagged. (32 was closer to a 31" waist)

horriblyjollyjinx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ott
confused.gif
no it doesn't, my dry calis are very dark and streaky whereas my new standards are much shinier. My calis are also less starched in comparison to APC's raw denim. As for sizing: definitely go for for 29 or maybe even 28 if you want them tight. I bought my true waist size (30) and they don't fit me
frown.gif
I've been trying to sell them in the buy/sell forum. EDIT- as for the fit, higher rise, slightly more tapered, but the most important thing is the lower yoke/antifit seat area which definitely isn't for everyone.

alright, depends on what you mean by similar. I haven't compared them side by side, so it may very well be that the difference is bigger than I said. I don't think that there is a big difference to everyone though, depends on how denim-savvy you are. about the fit, I really do think they are quite similar except for the things I mentioned, but that is from just trying them on and not owning a pair. fos5 has measurements which seem to be right to me, I know that the smallest i can button is a 30" measured, which would be a size 29 here.

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
i've just seen photos on the how jeans fit thread on the other SF and i'm not sure of the calis at all. i think they'll make my flat ass look too perky for my liking. skinny boy + perky ass = clearly cut out to be a bottom.

also someone said they were druggie jeans, haha.

Ott

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tweedlesinpink
i've just seen photos on the how jeans fit thread on the other SF and i'm not sure of the calis at all. i think they'll make my flat ass look too perky for my liking. skinny boy + perky ass = clearly cut out to be a bottom.

also someone said they were druggie jeans, haha.

haha they don't make your ass look perky at all. I'll take some pictures of my calis later today, they actually do the exact opposite.

...druggie jeans
inlove.gif

tangerine

Reaction score
Just to add to the confusion...

My Calis are a little darker in color than my APC NS, but they are not streaky at all and have very similar feel and "shiny-ness" to the APC denim. The denim may be heavier weight but it feels no heavier than the APCs.

They are noticeably slimmer in the lower leg and they ride low. No perky ass, more anti-fit. Definitely a rock-and-roll, aka druggie look.

Mine ran a little smaller than tagged size, but they have stretched a little.

Ott

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tangerine
Just to add to the confusion...

My Calis are a little darker in color than my APC NS, but they are not streaky at all and have very similar feel and "shiny-ness" to the APC denim. The denim may be heavier weight but it feels no heavier than the APCs.

They are noticeably slimmer in the lower leg and they ride low. No perky ass, more anti-fit. Definitely a rock-and-roll, aka druggie look.

Mine ran a little smaller than tagged size, but they have stretched a little.

okay now I'm confused

the shine thing can be relative, my calis aren't matte or anything... but you don't see ANY streakiness to the indigo? none at all? How much have you worn them in? Mine are brand new... might have something to do with it. I also just got mine so maybe its a different season? am I imagining this vertical streaking
tounge.gif

tangerine

Reaction score
^ Mine are very uniform dark denim, not what I would call streaky at all. They are not heavily worn, but most of the shine is worn off now.

I am sure that the Cali's denim (and possibly sizing factors) change from season to season, so I don't doubt that yours are different.

Maybe they got some of the denim that Nudie started using for the Straight Svens?

kumoo

Reaction score

took the pic for a friend, hope this helps you with the fit question~

Ott

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tangerine
Mine are very uniform dark denim, not what I would call streaky at all. Svens?
maybe its just the lighting in my house, I never wore them outside
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads