• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Julep time again

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I got myself some mint plants - spea-ahmint and peppuhmint. I got a muddlah, though I'm not sure if I should use it. I have an ice crushah, but I hear the best way is to pound the ice to dry dust in a canvas bag. I also bought mahself a propah jiggah.

I tried making one, by crushing the ice in the "lahge" direction, but I think it ended up a bit too lahge. I put about 4 speahmint and 2 peppahmint leaves in the bottom, added a couple teaspoons of sugah syrup I had made previously, a splash of branch (actually fridge/tap) watuh, a jiggah and a half of Beam's Choice and and muddled it with the muddlah. It's decent, but I'm gonna try another recipe that involves a couple or a single bruised mint leaf, a dollop of sugah syrup, very crushed ice packed to the top, and bourbon to fill it up.

What's the best way to make this? While I don't mind ceremony and effort, if I'm only making a couple/few, I'd rather keep it simpler. And I don't want to make mint syrup, that just seems wrong to me.

Thank you kindly.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My roommate in college was from a very old-school family in Kentucky, so I picked this up from him. It's not ridiculously complicated like some other ways I've seen, and I've gotten to love it over the years. The important ratio is 3 parts bourbon to one part sugar syrup. So for one drink, start by putting 10 mint leaves into a shaker, then muddle them with about an ounce of sugar syrup. Add the bourbon (3 oz.) and some ice, shake, then strain into glass of crushed ice (er, I mean, your silver tankard). Garnish with more mint. Sip on porch.

Couple of things:

If you don't have the sugar syrup pre-made, just muddle the leaves with about a teaspoon of sugar and a splash of water until the sugar dissolves.

If you're too lazy to crush your own ice, do what we did in college--flirt with the girl who works at your market's fish counter, then get her to turn on her ice-making machine and give you a fresh bag of perfect ice for free.

I personally add a dash of bitters to this. I know it's wrong, but I like it.

jett

Reaction score
I've tried making a mint julep a few times using different methods, it always turned out ungood.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man In Space
Your dedication to the accent in this post is commendable.

Your Text, Dialectized (redneck)

ah got mahse'f some mint plants - spea-ahmint an' peppuhmint. ah got a muddlah, though ah's not sho'nuff eff'n ah sh'd use it. ah have an ice crushah, but ah hear th' bess way is t'poun' th' ice t'dry dest in a kinvas bag, acco'din' t' th' code o' th' heells! ah also bought mahse'f a propah jiggah. ah tried makin' one, by crushin' th' ice in th' "lahge" direckshun, but ah reckon it inded up a bit too lahge. ah put about 4 speahmint an' 2 peppahmint leaves in th' bottom, added a couple teaspoons of sugah syrup ah had made previously, a splash of branch (acshully fridge/tap) watuh, a jiggah an' a ha'f of Beam's Choice an' an' muddled it wif th' muddlah. It's decent, but ah's gonna try t'other recipe thet involves a couple o' a sin'le bruised mint leaf, a dollop of sugah syrup, mighty crushed ice packed t'th' top, an' bourbon t'fill it up. Whut in tarnation's th' bess way t'make this? While ah doesn't mind ceremony an' effo't, eff'n ah's only makin' a couple/few, I'd rather keep it simpler. An' ah doesn't be hankerin' t'make mint syrup, thet jest seems wrong t'me. Thank yo' kindly.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love mint in drinks

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Try using sugar instead of simple syrup. The crystals will help to abrade the mint and release more of the oils when you muddle. I use demerara, but common white sugar will suffice.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Interestin. I've heard powduhd sugah, too. I think I'm gonna return my muddlah (it's a hi-falutin Yankee type from Crate and Barrel made of silicon or some such nonsense) for a good old fashioned wood one (if ah can find one), because mine doesn't muddle too well.

Tomorruh I'll try to pick up some bettah bourbon and powdah'd sugah, and hopefully find a wood muddlah.

Altah, that "translatuh" sounds like some fellas up in the hills. Moonshine ain't what we-uh talkin'a'bout he-uh, good suh.

Good eve'uh'nin, gentlemen.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

Altah, that "translatuh" sounds like some fellas up in the hills. Moonshine ain't what we-uh talkin'a'bout he-uh, good suh.

Your Text, Dialectized (hckr)

sorry about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 i m canadian and unfamilia rwith the nu4nces of amer1can dialectS... ollolloloololo~~

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Julep numbuh three.

Muddled some mint with sugah and a bit of wahm watuh until the sugah dissolved. Packed in fahnly-crushed ice, sprinkled a little more sugah, then poured 2oz. bourbon over and a splash of cold watuh.

The best so fah.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love this thread
smile.gif
I can't imagine the effort that J is putting in to type out the southern gentleman accent.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Goldfinger?
Ahhh, that hits the spot. Traditional, but satisfying.

julepar1.jpg

mwrenchd

Reaction score
While there are multiple methods of syrup prep, mint-muddling/infusing, etc- in my mind, the secret to a good julep is picking the right bourbon. Stick with a spicy, rye-heavy expression to balance out the sweetness of the drink. Stay away from sweet bourbons like Makers or Blantons.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, something like Knob Creek or Wild Turkey? How about just a rye instead?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads