• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Judging the quality of bed sheets

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than thread count, what else are you supposed to look at to determine if its any good? Its my understanding that thread count is not always be the best indicator as many companies will inflate their thread count. I need some new bed sheets, and I just happened to see that Pottery Barn has some on sale. But, I want to be able to judge these sheets before I decide I want to buy them or not.

Also, after measuring the size of my bed, I'm confused if I should get a flat or fitted sheet? According to my measurements, assuming I did it correctly, my bed is 53 X 75 but a full/double bed size should be 54 X 75. I'm always having the problem of my bed sheets coming off.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Great question! I've bought several set of expensive, high thread count sheets in the past, only to have them pill very quickly (save any possible jokes for yourselves).

jagmqt

Reaction score
Feel them...if they're soft, buy them...thread count is an over-used gauge in my opinion.

If you have a full sized bed, get full sized fitted sheets for the mattress...If you like a top sheet, get one. If the sheet is too loose, get a foam pad for the mattress.

Didn't your mother teach you this stuff?
smile.gif

jag

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think thread counts on sheets are similar to super numbers for wool. Just because you find a jacket that's Super 180s doesn't mean it's quality. The length of the wool fibers and the quality of the weaving are at least as important as the fineness of the wool. Same with cotton sheets. I've had some cheap ones that were really soft and pilled and ripped pretty quickly and some much more expensive ones that were soft and have held up well. I think you get what you pay for on these.

On the lower end, I've seen some decent stuff at Costco and Target that does not cost an arm and a leg. It will not last forever, but at their prices, it's a decent value.

lpresq

Reaction score
Also, there is a difference b/t Sateen and Percale sheets. Sateen feels a bit more crisp and silky, while percale is generally softer to the touch.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If she comments on them, they're not bad. If she comments on them and you're afraid she'll get them dirty, they're pretty good.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jagmqt
Feel them...if they're soft, buy them...thread count is an over-used gauge in my opinion. Didn't your mother teach you this stuff?
smile.gif
jag

I've been burned too many times by something that feels nice in the store, but starts to pill and fall after you wash it. You see this all the time with towels. If I recall correctly, a lot of manufactures spray this chemical to make their goods feel especially nice in the store but that is only temporary after you wash it. A much better test would be to feel the towels or bed sheets after they've already been washed a couple of times. (Why don't companies do that more, where they sell it after its been washed so you get a better idea what the fit will end up being?)

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, are you not supposed to pick the exact same thing for the bed sheets and duvet? Is that considered too matchy-matchy?

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Look for supima cotton or egyptian cotton, don't worry about threadcount.

bed/bath/beyond has egyptian cotton sheets (300 thread count) for about $100 a set. I got their supima sheets (500 threadcount) since I liked the color better, but they're very baggy since they're designed for a thick mattress (I have to use sheet suspenders). The egyptian sheets are designed for a smaller mattress.

Cheap sheets that pill feel nice after 2-3 years of washing!!! A fabric shaver (pill remover) helps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads