• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JR Rendenbach Closing

Commisar

Reaction score
That timeline sounds right for when I would have been buying AE and was a lurker on here and AAAC. Basically 06-'11ish. It would be interesting to see how much they've changed in the last 15 years or so. I'll grab some pictures in a bit but the summary -
Late '00's-ish AE:
2 layers of rubber in the heels with a leatherboard base.
Leatherboard/paper heel reinforcement over the cork - Not sure about this - I would have thought the shank would extend further through the arch but there's nothing else that would be a shank but I know nothing. I’m just a guy with an exacto knife and a pair of pliers.
360 welt
Some sort of composite stiffener in the heel - It's an extremely brittle material. It's not extended beyond the heel cup. There is no support to speak of.
Thicker insole than I expected to be honest - It was also pretty malleable.
Thick layer of cork.
Gemming had an absolute ton of glue and was still pretty solidly in place - It took quite a bit of work to get it up - In addition to stitching attaching everything, there are a bunch of staples holding the gemming, upper, liner etc together.

A bunch of pictures in the spoiler
AE doesn't really use shanks and when they do they are usually wood. It's almost random.

Commisar

Reaction score
That timeline sounds right for when I would have been buying AE and was a lurker on here and AAAC. Basically 06-'11ish. It would be interesting to see how much they've changed in the last 15 years or so. I'll grab some pictures in a bit but the summary -
Late '00's-ish AE:
2 layers of rubber in the heels with a leatherboard base.
Leatherboard/paper heel reinforcement over the cork - Not sure about this - I would have thought the shank would extend further through the arch but there's nothing else that would be a shank but I know nothing. I’m just a guy with an exacto knife and a pair of pliers.
360 welt
Some sort of composite stiffener in the heel - It's an extremely brittle material. It's not extended beyond the heel cup. There is no support to speak of.
Thicker insole than I expected to be honest - It was also pretty malleable.
Thick layer of cork.
Gemming had an absolute ton of glue and was still pretty solidly in place - It took quite a bit of work to get it up - In addition to stitching attaching everything, there are a bunch of staples holding the gemming, upper, liner etc together.

A bunch of pictures in the spoiler
Old reply but the heel counter/stiffener is celastic aka plastic impregnated fiber

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here’s an example about how these things are obtainable. I have a pair incoming and got some sneak peek pictures from the maker - they’re my last commission for the moment while I wait for my name to come up on a couple waiting lists.
View attachment 1685813
- Java lizard
- Workshop made
- Modified last (this will mainly serve as a wearable fitter for further refinement for my last since it was remote)
- Hand lasted
- Hand welted
- Leather toe puffs and heel stiffener skived down from insole leather
- ** I need to double check on welt strips - I think Bakers
- JR Insole
- linen thread
- felt rather than cork
- JR outsole (Bakers or Duscini was unavailable at the moment unfortunately)
- Hand sewn outsoles using I believe 10spi
- Lasted trees

This pair cost me less than CJ Handgrade. It required me to invest patience (waiting for my turn on the waiting list), thought (we drew the design up together), a little knowledge (to do remote measurements, tracings and stampings) and a little bit of money.

Is it obtainable for people who want to walk into Nordstrom and leave with a pair? Probably not their cup of tea. For a person who spends their days on SF and racks up numerous pairs of Meermin or AE per year? Absolutely.
nice pair. maker?

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've heard lots of speculation as to what caused the demise of Rendenbach.
My information comes from a very reliable source.
Seems like a perfect storm:
1. A steady decline in sales over the past 10 years.
2. The negative impact COVID has had on the demand/need for Men's dress shoes.
3. The German Government is imposing new regulations and requirements in order to combat pollution caused during the tanning process. Those requirements made it cost prohibitive for JR to remain viable.

The same thing happened in the U.S. some 30 years ago. Because of Gov't restrictions and new regulations it became impossible to compete pricewise so the sole tanning industry was forced out of business.
That's why you don't see U.S. made soles these days.

I hear in Italy the Gov't instituted similar restrictions/regulations. Several tanneries co-opted and pooled funds to share the extra expenses in order to offset the added costs.
Peak menswear 2010ish declined the next decade and there you have it. Crazy the german govt was the final nail in the coffin.

Where will soles come from?

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where will soles come from?
Probably from Kilger tannery:

Another possible option:

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably from Kilger tannery:

Another possible option:

there’s also Bakers in the U.K. Garat in France, Masure in Belgium and Hewitts from Italy, still a few options for the repair trade

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads