• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JR Rendenbach Closing

Commisar

Reaction score
Comparing them side by side in real life, the C&Js aren't magnificently better shoes.

The difference between those shoes is quite literally in the much better photography for the C&J + much higher shine on the shoes.
Correct

The difference between a $300 shoe (the most anyone should actually pay for the "mainline" of Allen Edmonds) and a $600-$800 show is remarkable small.

I will say that TLB Mallorca sells their "mainline" for $350 and their Artista line for $400 and those are EXCELLENT for the price. That said if their last/widths don't work for your feet you're SoL.

Cobbler union is a bit more at $395 but they cater to American feet.

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, this is kind of off in the weeds, but makers of anything have to find their own niche. And appeal to that market.

Esp. with the average (and even knowledgeable) consumer willing to buy into the hype put out by the factories and the notion that price reflects quality, the low and mid level market is lost to any maker wanting to survive. Lobbs charges a vry high price for their goods. Probably more than an objective cost/price analysis would justify. They have established their preeminence in the 'elite' market..And they are selling reputation and 'blue sky.' To charge less would be to lose leverage in that market.

Again, the more we accept shoddy, the more shoddy prevails. The more we diss high end the more high end is forced to refine their customer base. If the customer says "I can't afford/ don't need handwelted," the more the maker of handwelted says "they're not for you anyway."

And rightfully so, IMO.

Oh, I definitely agree when it comes to something like the initial price of the shoes. Maybe they should be cheaper, and maybe not. That's simply the price of the thing.

It's the same conversation that is had about 10k bespoke suits or the-sky-is-the-limit couture. If you want to enjoy the talent and art needed to make these things, you must pay the price of the artisan.

But when we come to something like a repair, that's not like crafting another pair of bespoke shoes or a new suit. As you mentioned earlier, a welt and outer sole can just as easily be attached by a competent, local cobbler. I expect to pay whatever he feels his talents are worth. I have yet to meet a cobbler who'd charge so much.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol ok, I'd suggest going for John Lobb so you can get all the quality you need for a cool $1,500 a pair.

A "well made shoe" can be sub $200 if you don't minded Blake stitched and sub $300 for something Goodyear welted.

Give me full grain hide on the upper, leather line and insoles, a leather board or leather heel stack, good stitching and a leather or Dainite or Vibram sole.

I like a cork inlay but leather on leather is fine too. I don't really care about leather vs celastic stiffening unless the price is $400+.

Note, I don't think Allen Edmonds should be purchased for anything except their twice yearly sale prices unless it's a trunk show Cordovan model.
9C8F6285-DED2-4BF0-912A-DD737BF4A3DD.gif

Commisar

Reaction score
More manufacturing defects (not talking seconds, never bought any). Cheaper packaging. Stitching not matching up. Defects in leather out of box.

My buddy had a pair separate from the soles on the fourth(ish) wear.

We both swore off in 2019. He's pure Alden and I'm European now.
Ok, who gives a sh*t about packaging????? They all come in paper/cardboard boxes. As for the leather with defects, the Shoesnob guy got it right when he said you WILL NOT be getting "Tier 1" hides for under $800 in 2019 and beyond. You just won't be. You might get something with imperfections so minor you can't seem them, but honest to God Tier 1 leather in sub $800 shoes ended 5-10 years ago. Those hides cost more now, good tanneries are either going bankrupt or are catering only to the ultra high end.

Last edited:

Commisar

Reaction score
I can go hold a Park Avenue and an Alex in my hand right now.

The Alex is a much better shoe. Its not even close.

And that Park Avenue is 2014, back when they still came from America and weren't on sale all year.
Ahaha they still come from the USA. If you ACTUALLY think that C&J is "100% British" I have a few bridges to sell you.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, who gives a sh*t about packaging????? They all come in paper/cardboard boxes. As for the leather with defects, the Shoesnob guy got it right when he said you WILL NOT be getting "Tier 1" hides for under $800 in 2019 and beyond. You just won't be. You might get something with imperfections so Minot you can't seem them, but honest to God Tier 1 leather in sub $800 shoes ended 5-10 years ago. Those hides cost more now, good tanneries are either going bankrupt or are catering only to the ultra high end.

I care when they started sending torn boxes with no felt bags.

Ignoring definitions of "tier 1" hide or whatever, is your proposition that Vass and Allen Edmonds uppers are the same?

Both are sub $800.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are rumors that one of the major West End firms uses Springline for their bespoke lasts. So one upside to using them is that you can get your shoes resoled by a local cobbler and your bespoke last will probably be at their shop :teach:

Springline has a bespoke last making department and they produce bespoke lasts in the same way as other last makers: an oversized last gets rasped down until a pair is created which will include all the peculiarities of a particular pair of feet. They work from a set of measurements and outline drawings just like anyone else. The particulars are either supplied by the commissioning shoemaking firm or individuals can visit the Springline premises to have their measurements taken.

The likelihood your bespoke last makes it's way into the local cobbler's shop is zilch

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahaha they still come from the USA. If you ACTUALLY think that C&J is "100% British" I have a few bridges to sell you.

Well I'm sure they aren't sewing uppers in the Dominican.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually - Thinking back to the discussion about resoling and how it’s preferable to have the original last. Here’s a question for @DWFII and @ntempleman actually. I always opt to add lasted trees. If I’ve got my hinged trees from my maker, how much of a difference are we likely talking about compared to the last the shoes were built on for the purposes of retaining the shape during a resole?

Commisar

Reaction score
I care when they started sending torn boxes with no felt bags.

Ignoring definitions of "tier 1" hide or whatever, is your proposition that Vass and Allen Edmonds uppers are the same?

Both are sub $800.
Yes, thought Vaas clickers are probably a lot more careful. AE makes in a week what Vaas makes on a year.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, thought Vaas clickers are probably a lot more careful. AE makes in a week what Vaas makes on a year.

As @Jmr928 Was saying earlier, I think men would be better off not buying Allen Edmonds 4x times a year, and buying a better shoe.

Vass is easy to order now, and much better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads