• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JR Rendenbach Closing

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
Anyone heard any more info on this? A couple cobbler pages I follow have mentioned it including Potter and Sons and Cobblers Plus Inc. CP Inc. made a video about it and how it will affect orders moving forward. The video is here.

What will happen to the shoe industry as a result? Will J&FJ Baker take over as the successor of sorts? Are there any other tanneries that can fill the vacuum?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Me since yesterday.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What will happen to the shoe industry as a result? Will J&FJ Baker take over as the successor of sorts? Are there any other tanneries that can fill the vacuum?

Off the top of my head, there is one or two in Belgium-- Masur comes to mind-- and one or two in France and maybe three in Germany.

As a maker, I never did like JR none. It was too flinty... which not only makes it hard to work but tends to wear out faster on pavement, etc..

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, there is one or two in Belgium-- Masur comes to mind-- and one or two in France and maybe three in Germany.

As a maker, I never did like JR none. It was too flinty... which not only makes it hard to work but tends to wear out faster on pavement, etc..
I find it a tad bit ironic that the vast majority of makers I’ve spoken with seem to share this view and hold other sole options in higher regard but are usually brand agnostic and leave the final decision to the customer.

YouTube and Instagram cobblers on the other hand are out there singing the praises of JR soles and did you know that you can send your shoes to them and have JR added to your resole package for an upcharge?

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
YouTube and Instagram cobblers on the other hand are out there singing the praises of JR soles and did you know that you can send your shoes to them and have JR added to your resole package for an upcharge?
There's your answer basically. JR is good for the cobbler industry because as long as people think they're the best out there, cobblers get to keep charging more for their soles.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's your answer basically. JR is good for the cobbler industry because as long as people think they're the best out there, cobblers get to keep charging more for their soles.

It is actually more likely that JR soles are more readily available to cobblers vs. the other brands.

For instance, I spoke with my cobbler today and she told me that JR has always had a good relationship with her, and many of the other cobblers she knew, whereas the other sole representatives were more or less just trying to market themselves as "just as good as JR Rendenbach" which came off like they were knock-offs, and were infrequently attempting to have their stuff offered up for sale.

I think we can say this: JR Rendenbach has a very good reputation. They are quality soles. They may not be objectively the GREATEST OF ALL TIME, as some claim, but they are certainly quality on par on the handful of other sole makers which still use the traditional methods. The loss of this sole company is bad because now we have fewer options and those other options seem difficult to get.

I'd also say this: I think it is pretty clear JR soles are superb. Whether there are not competitors is, of course, a different matter.

Terry Mac's 'Tache

Reaction score
I find it a tad bit ironic that the vast majority of makers I’ve spoken with seem to share this view and hold other sole options in higher regard but are usually brand agnostic and leave the final decision to the customer.

I always found it quite telling that bespoke makers tend to favour Baker's soles. Regardless, it is sad that we are suffering yet another loss in the footwear space. I hope other struggling businesses are able to do what they need to do in order to survive these very difficult times.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always found it quite telling that bespoke makers tend to favour Baker's soles. Regardless, it is sad that we are suffering yet another loss in the footwear space. I hope other struggling businesses are able to do what they need to do in order to survive these very difficult times.
That’s the one I had in mind. As close to a near unanimous opinion I’ve heard other than the Italians because, well, did you know Italy has the best tanneries in the world? Not that any Italian makers (shoes or otherwise) are prone to hyperbole or insisting that things from Italy are the best. ?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At least here in the US, Baker leather does not market cut outsoles for resole work. Neither does Masur. or any other top end leather producer.

Cut sole are what cobblers (shoe repairman) want--they don't want to buy a side or a bend and cut their own. Ultimately they don't have any use for the offcuts and margins.

Rendenbach more or less had the shoe repair market sewn up (pardon the pun) for anything more prestigious or better quality than the domestic syntan outsoles. Or South American outsoles.

But that's also one of the things I disliked about JR--they deeply branded their logo in the center of the outsole and there was no way a maker was going to get a 'natural' bottom.. Beyond that, why do I, as a maker want to put out a product that fundamentally advertises someone else's product? Might as well make the uppers with a Coca-cola painted leather or make a whole cut oxford with a Nike swash inlaid on the side.

American_Psycho11

Reaction score
At least here in the US, Baker leather does not market cut outsoles for resole work. Neither does Masur. or any other top end leather producer.

Cut sole are what cobblers (shoe repairman) want--they don't want to buy a side or a bend and cut their own. Ultimately they don't have any use for the offcuts and margins.

Rendenbach more or less had the shoe repair market sewn up (pardon the pun) for anything more prestigious or better quality than the domestic syntan outsoles. Or South American outsoles.

But that's also one of the things I disliked about JR--they deeply branded their logo in the center of the outsole and there was no way a maker was going to get a 'natural' bottom.. Beyond that, why do I, as a maker want to put out a product that fundamentally advertises someone else's product? Might as well make the uppers with a Coca-cola painted leather or make a whole cut oxford with a Nike swash inlaid on the side.
This is a great reply and I appreciate your insight. Sounds like JR knew exactly what they were doing, for good or bad

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here in Spain cobblers do not get Bakers, Garat, Masur nor Bastin leather outsoles or bends as those do not sell here. The italians just go to the GY makers. Just a very few knowlegeable cobblers get JR as the one I work with (I get cuts from groupon or bends). Most of them use low quality and cheap argentinean leather.
Therefore, to have JR leather out of this market is a real pain for us shoe aficionados. I just bought some JR bend for my future resoles as I do not send my shoes to the makers anymore due to cost and the hassle of the expedition.
I understand this is a market shock for most of the prestigious HW makers in central europe too. I am really sad to hear those news.
So if this reputable company (probably the one with the largest market share?) is closing down, what could happen to the other few ones in the near future?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can understand that entirely.

This also would make sense for why JR soles have gotten such a reputation from cobblers. Quite simply: JR has marketed themselves primarily as a resole company, rather than a bespoke shoe market.

I'd also envision the resole business is a lot more profitable than the bespoke market. The bespoke market is, after all, extremely niche, whereas resoles are frequent business for any skilled cobbler.

Nevertheless, I also understand why you wouldn't want to show off a brand other than your own work.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here in Spain cobblers do not get Bakers, Garat, Masur nor Bastin leather outsoles or bends as those do not sell here. The italians just go to the GY makers. Just a very few knowlegeable cobblers get JR as the one I work with (I get cuts from groupon or bends). Most of them use low quality and cheap argentinean leather.
Therefore, to have JR leather out of this market is a real pain for us shoe aficionados. I just bought some JR bend for my future resoles as I do not send my shoes to the makers anymore due to cost and the hassle of the expedition.
I understand this is a market shock for most of the prestigious HW makers in central europe too. I am really sad to hear those news.
So if this reputable company (probably the one with the largest market share?) is closing down, what could happen to the other few ones in the near future?

It's a real blow to the industry and a real blow to people who want to have good quality leather soles. I would get JR soles because I can notice a substantial difference v. what is standard fare from shoe companies.

Right now, I am wondering if there just will even be an option for a better-quality leather sole anymore?

For instance, I don't have my Allen Edmonds resoled by AE because the quality of their soles isn't as good as the JR. It's not bad, but I have run through AE soles very quickly, and not so with my JR soled shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads