• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

JR Rendenbach Closing

Commisar

Reaction score
That timeline sounds right for when I would have been buying AE and was a lurker on here and AAAC. Basically 06-'11ish. It would be interesting to see how much they've changed in the last 15 years or so. I'll grab some pictures in a bit but the summary -
Late '00's-ish AE:
2 layers of rubber in the heels with a leatherboard base.
Leatherboard/paper heel reinforcement over the cork - Not sure about this - I would have thought the shank would extend further through the arch but there's nothing else that would be a shank but I know nothing. I’m just a guy with an exacto knife and a pair of pliers.
360 welt
Some sort of composite stiffener in the heel - It's an extremely brittle material. It's not extended beyond the heel cup. There is no support to speak of.
Thicker insole than I expected to be honest - It was also pretty malleable.
Thick layer of cork.
Gemming had an absolute ton of glue and was still pretty solidly in place - It took quite a bit of work to get it up - In addition to stitching attaching everything, there are a bunch of staples holding the gemming, upper, liner etc together.

A bunch of pictures in the spoiler
AE doesn't really use shanks and when they do they are usually wood. It's almost random.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.