• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joseph Abboud?

swb120

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with Abboud products, particularly outerwear/topcoats? I always see JA products on Sierra, and am looking for a nice, reasonably-priced overcoat for the winter. Any comments/experiences would be appreciated.

LWF

Reaction score
Only early on when Abboud was introduced as a house brand of Nordstroms.

Quality is decidedly middle-of-the-road. Fused canvases. Several short-cuts in terms of quality. Unremarkable styling.

charlie48

Reaction score
I needed an overcoat for a quick Christmas time trip to NYC last winter (not much need for a wool overcoat in LA), so I used a STP coupon and picked up an already severely marked down JA wool overcoat. Great price and it did the job but I was struck by the really medicocre quality. Since I don't have much need for an overcoat, I don't regret the decision. But if I was going to wear it regularly, I would definitely look elsewhere.
Charles

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No experience with topcoats, but I remember JA having broader than usual shoulders. Good for me, since I'm broad shouldered, but the quality was less than I expected.

swb120

Reaction score
Thank you for your comments - this is exactly what I needed to know. I'll save my $ and look elsewhere!

heavyd

Reaction score
Former in-house RL design guy, I find his stuff is never for me. Nice advertising though.

felixb

Reaction score
And what about their shirts -- any comments? How much would be a fair price for them?

Thank you

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by felixb
And what about their shirts -- any comments? How much would be a fair price for them?

Thank you

adding on to this..how about their suits?

Charlie

Reaction score
JAB does not make their own coats. A manufacturer caled Gruner and Co. makes the coats and pays a royalty to JAB to use their label. (Gruner and Co also makes the Bradley John brand sold out of Sears (horrors), by the way.) The JAB coats are sold out of Lord and Taylor for 425. I got mine on sale for 250. Its no burberry, but the cut is slim and it looks fine. I am quitehappy with it.

Their suits are very popular (though not here), but they are fused, and they don't always hold up very well. Bear in mind that the JAB suits are cut very long. Also, they have a tendency to make a classic suit, but then add some bizzare quirk to the pattern - e.g., a classic grey glen plaid, which has a purple stripe in it. If you live in NYC, you can do REALLY well at the soiffer haskin sale. I have about six of their suits and three of their sport coats, but after buying some HF stuff at a recent sale, will buy no more.

The shirts and ties are interesting, albeit a little earth-tony, but don't hold up very well. I get my shirts and ties from CT now.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The abboud socks are nice.. I don't know about any other product
biggrin.gif
I got several 3 packs for $9 each at Tj Maxx. Hand linked toe, goes about over the calf and stays up. Much nicer than the Polo socks I'm replacing.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
The abboud socks are nice.. I don't know about any other product
biggrin.gif

I got several 3 packs for $9 each at Tj Maxx. Hand linked toe, goes about over the calf and stays up. Much nicer than the Polo socks I'm replacing.

Ha ha... I was just about to post that too. I got 3 3-packs of Abboud socks at Nordstrom's Rack to replace my 6 month old Polo's that are worn out. Very dissapointed in the Polo socks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads