Joseph Abboud Suit - Fit Comparable

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Floater156, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Floater156

Floater156 Active Member

2. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Absolute crap? Certainly not great quality/detailing/fabrics and certainly not worth the full retail price at Nordstrom. However, there are more terrible things out there (Most suits sold at Macys, Mens Wearhouse,...).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

3. EvoEco

EvoEco New Member

Floater156, I have the same issue. Here's hoping the forum's collective wisdom has a solution. I'd very much like to know which brands at, say, ehaberdasher have a similar fit.

4. D.B.Cooper

D.B.Cooper Senior member

I have pretty much the same experience. My "barrel chest" seems to cause fit difficulties with almost every OTR brand I've tried except Abboud. I'd love to hear about some higher end labels that might have a shot of fitting me like the Abboud suits do.

5. Capri

Capri Member

I know this is a thread from last year but Joseph Abboud suits are made in the US with half-canvass construction. Apparently, a lot of their wools are imported from Italy. At retail they're a bit of a stretch to pay but at Nordstrom Rack they usually have them for half off for around $350 which is a great deal IMO. Definitely better than any of the fused suits you'll usually find at that price range.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

6. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Senior member

does capri work for Joseph Abboud, Nordstom Rack, or just have an affinity for the brand? Regardless I tend to agree with him. I like the cut / styling of their line, and they tend to use nicer fabric than other suits in the same price range. I would compare the brand Hugo Boss, which has a much better (probably undeserved) reputation. I am not sure about them being half canvassed though, thought they were all fused.

FWIW, I picked up one of their unconstructed SCs with Loro Piana fabric at Von Maur for $125, original retail $500. Like Capri indicated, I would never pay full price, but on sale you can do worse.

7. StumpjumperE

StumpjumperE Senior member

I have a JA suit and it is neither made in the USA nor half-canvassed (I'm pretty sure it's fused). There may be certain 'levels' of their suits that are made as you state, but not all of them. The suit fits me well though, I will say that.

8. ivyshaw

ivyshaw Senior member

Sorry, but, what does "OTR" mean here?

9. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

OTR = "Off The Rack", that is - ready-to wear....

10. Capri

Capri Member

Accidental double post - see below

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

11. Capri

Capri Member

Haha no, not with JA or Nordstrom. I was just online searching for Joseph Abboud quality reviews. I saw one at a Rack that felt and fit great and it was made in the USA. Upon some online digging I saw that they were also half canvassed. I'm not sure if this is only in recent suits but the article below is from 2010 so at least since then I'm guessing.

http://apparel.edgl.com/news/Joltin---Joe--Joseph-Abboud-s-Big-Comeback63860