• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joseph Abboud Suit - Fit Comparable

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolute crap? Certainly not great quality/detailing/fabrics and certainly not worth the full retail price at Nordstrom. However, there are more terrible things out there (Most suits sold at Macys, Mens Wearhouse,...).

Last edited:

EvoEco

Reaction score
Floater156, I have the same issue. Here's hoping the forum's collective wisdom has a solution. I'd very much like to know which brands at, say, ehaberdasher have a similar fit.

D.B.Cooper

Reaction score
I have pretty much the same experience. My "barrel chest" seems to cause fit difficulties with almost every OTR brand I've tried except Abboud. I'd love to hear about some higher end labels that might have a shot of fitting me like the Abboud suits do.

Capri

Reaction score
I know this is a thread from last year but Joseph Abboud suits are made in the US with half-canvass construction. Apparently, a lot of their wools are imported from Italy. At retail they're a bit of a stretch to pay but at Nordstrom Rack they usually have them for half off for around $350 which is a great deal IMO. Definitely better than any of the fused suits you'll usually find at that price range.

Last edited:

bigtimebuck4

Reaction score
does capri work for Joseph Abboud, Nordstom Rack, or just have an affinity for the brand? Regardless I tend to agree with him. I like the cut / styling of their line, and they tend to use nicer fabric than other suits in the same price range. I would compare the brand Hugo Boss, which has a much better (probably undeserved) reputation. I am not sure about them being half canvassed though, thought they were all fused.

FWIW, I picked up one of their unconstructed SCs with Loro Piana fabric at Von Maur for $125, original retail $500. Like Capri indicated, I would never pay full price, but on sale you can do worse.

StumpjumperE

Reaction score
I know this is an thread from last year but Joseph Abboud suits are made in the US with half-canvass construction. Apparently, a lot of their wools are imported from Italy. At retail they're a bit of a stretch to pay but at Nordstrom Rack they usually have them for half off for around $350 which is a great deal IMO. Definitely better than any of the fused suits you'll usually find at that price range.

I have a JA suit and it is neither made in the USA nor half-canvassed (I'm pretty sure it's fused). There may be certain 'levels' of their suits that are made as you state, but not all of them. The suit fits me well though, I will say that.

ivyshaw

Reaction score
Sorry, but, what does "OTR" mean here?

Capri

Reaction score
Accidental double post - see below

Last edited:

Capri

Reaction score
does capri work for Joseph Abboud, Nordstom Rack, or just have an affinity for the brand? Regardless I tend to agree with him. I like the cut / styling of their line, and they tend to use nicer fabric than other suits in the same price range. I would compare the brand Hugo Boss, which has a much better (probably undeserved) reputation. I am not sure about them being half canvassed though, thought they were all fused.

FWIW, I picked up one of their unconstructed SCs with Loro Piana fabric at Von Maur for $125, original retail $500. Like Capri indicated, I would never pay full price, but on sale you can do worse.
Haha no, not with JA or Nordstrom. I was just online searching for Joseph Abboud quality reviews. I saw one at a Rack that felt and fit great and it was made in the USA. Upon some online digging I saw that they were also half canvassed. I'm not sure if this is only in recent suits but the article below is from 2010 so at least since then I'm guessing.

http://apparel.edgl.com/news/Joltin---Joe--Joseph-Abboud-s-Big-Comeback63860

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads