• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jos A Bank Versus Brooks Brothers

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
That leaves a lot of room for interpretation. I would take that to mean that only the chest is canvas, which means the suit is really half-canvas.

For comparison, my understanding is that BB 1818 is half canvas and that their Golden Fleece is full canvas. Their street price (i.e.: reasonably available non-retail) compared to JAB's street price is also higher, I think.

BUT - if the JAB platinum is really only half-canvas, then the retail price of $1,895 is absurd. You can get a fully canvassed Hickey Freeman (made in the USA, too) for less than that. But then JAB retail pricing has already been discussed in detail here...

I did a quick search of the BB website but couldn't find anything saying that the 1818 is half-canvas. Where can that information be found on the website?

Valproate

Reaction score
Definitely Brooks. I bought two pima cotton long-sleeved polos from JAB two years ago, and the quality was horrible. One shirt had several broken threads at the sleeve/arm area. Both shirts began pilling immediately and looked shabby; they were a far cry from Ralph Lauren's pima cotton. Also, I waited about 20 minutes for JAB's customer service phone rep. I vowed never to do business with JAB again.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBugatti
Yes. It's true. JAB Signature Platinum is far superior to BB regular line. Retails for $1999.00. Made in Italy--yes Italy. Now that said, I would never spend that amount of money on a JAB suit--but I will admit the fabric is quite nice. Workmanship? Average. It's a bit like spending $100K on a Hyundai.

ha-ha-ha! HYUNDAI EQUUS!

bjornb17

Reaction score
JAB traveler and BB non-iron shirts are nearly identical, with the exception the JAB are fuller cut. If you don't wear a tie, you can size down on the JAB shirts. I generally like both.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont know how we are comparing these brands

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My JAB traveler shirt doesn't even compare to my BB non-iron. The collars on my JAB shirt are already turning in a weird angle (washed 3-4 times maybe)

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are apples compared to, say oranges?

I was also wondering: Hugo Bosss vs. Isaia?

Any thoughs?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
How are apples compared to, say oranges?

I was also wondering: Hugo Bosss vs. Isaia?

Any thoughs?

oranges are better also boss outshines isaia in every category this is of course common knowledge

smile.gif
laugh.gif

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
oranges are better also boss outshines isaia in every category this is of course common knowledge

smile.gif
laugh.gif

Apples are a 100 times better than oranges. You can make juice from both, but hard cider is better than fermented OJ. Also, apples can be made into pie, which is infinitely superiour to orange sorbet.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
It's not even a close call--unless it's an absolute budget-buster--to go with BB. And the tailoring is much better. Abraham Lincoln wore a BB suit. That's how venerable the company is. By comparison, J. Banks is a downscale interloper more akin to Men's Wearhouse merch.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Apples are a 100 times better than oranges. You can make juice from both, but hard cider is better than fermented OJ. Also, apples can be made into pie, which is infinitely superiour to orange sorbet.

i see you agree with my thoughts on boss vs isaia

by the by apple juice is for babies orange juice is for men and id take sorbet over pie but i do prefer mango

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you guys are really humorous.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
On a somewhat interesting sidenote: I have it on good authority from someone in the textile business. Costco's Kirkland Signature dress shirts use the same fabric and treatment as the normal BB non-iron shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads