• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jos A. Bank suit

GujuNilesh

Reaction score
I dont know anything about fashion so any help provided is much appreciated.

I am going to Jos A. Bank to buy a suit later on today and was wondering if you can give me tips on buying a proper suit. I personally like 3 button suits but I read somewhere that 3 button is usually for taller people. I am 5' 7" so I guess I should probably stick to a two-button suit?

Also, what kind of wool and also as far as the quality of the suit {Signature, gold signature, executive}

Pretty much want this to be a suit that I can use to attend funeral, weddings, holidays, etc.

Again, thanks in advance.

ajmanouk

Reaction score
Don't go to Jos A. Bank, please. No lovin' will come from this forum.

Try Brooks Brothers instead perhaps, or read up and shop around on the B&S here for some deals.

As for some of the suit specs...just make sure it is NOT black (though that is perfectly appropriate for funerals, it is much less so for anything else...except evening events). Charcoal is much more versatile.

Search around a bit. This has been asked many times.

GujuNilesh

Reaction score
My budget is roughly $200 for a suit.

Brooks Brothers are going to easily extend that.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they even sell a suit for $200

Wolfador

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
Do they even sell a suit for $200

Closest would probably be Factory store with one of the 25% off deals they run and the extra 15% for opening the CC.

GujuNilesh

Reaction score
Yupp. I actually went few months ago and they had a suit that was for $150 that was pretty nice. Granted that it was brought down to $150 because of the various sales and my corporate 20% discount.
biggrin.gif

utexas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GujuNilesh
I am going to Jos A. Bank to buy a suit later on today and was wondering if you can give me tips on buying a proper suit. I personally like 3 button suits but I read somewhere that 3 button is usually for taller people. I am 5' 7" so I guess I should probably stick to a two-button suit?

I'm 6'4" and slim. I'd like to think that I pull off the two-buttoned look pretty well. Three-button suits just have a way of making me appear taller (at least in my eyes), which is exactly why I stay away from them.

P.S. Brooks also has a corporate membership program. Mine is 15% off. You might check to see if your company works with them as well.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll probably be fine with a staple color from H&M or something from Uniqlo.

JAB fits me rather poorly, but it could work for you. If it fits I don't really care much about the maker if you're looking to save money. The main thing to look for is fitting the shoulders. If the shoulder pad sticks out beyond your natural shoulder, then don't buy it. Also, stick to 2 button. I've never seen an inexpensive 3 button suit look good, regardless of anyone's height.

Get navy or charcoal.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I think the biggest flaw in posting on here is that you are speaking with people that are used to garments of the highest (or at least of a higher) quality.

As a new college grad whose budget is tight more often than not I can tell you it's an arduous undertaking to find the kind of clothes most often discussed on this forum at prices that I can afford. That being said, by putting on and feeling the quality, fit and craftsmanship of a Cucinelli sport coat or catching the gaze of a good looking woman while in a pair of John Lobb lace-ups, you soon realize there is no going back. And this is when you find yourself battling the numbers month in and month out.

It's like sartorial heroin trying to keep your game up. Be careful when you take the plunge. Because sooner than later you will be plotting firebombing raids on Joseph A. Bank locations while salivating over a RLPL look book and simultaneously gnawing your fingers off waiting for HTTTGAP to respond to your question about tropical wool trousers. I think we have all been there.

Some dudes just ain't made for the game.

JGloger

Reaction score
As far as suit tips in general, use the search function and you should find plenty of great advice.

If you want something versatile, go with solid navy or charcoal. I'm about 5'7'' - 5'8'' and I greatly prefer 2 button to 3 button. Much of this seems to be preference.

Admittedly, JAB is not a 'high end' brand by any means, but I do have one suit from them and it's not as terrible as many people on the forums will profess. It's not great, but it's also not horrible. It's wool (none of that poly crap) and it fits me well. Get the proper size and get it tailored and it will do just fine if you're truly on a tight budget. You should definitely be able to find a suit sub $200 on sale. When I picked mine up I ended up with a suit, 2 shirts and 2 ties for $200 + tax. The suit I wanted wasn't even part of the promotion originally but they're there to make a sale; it can't hurt to check if they can work with you.

bjornb17

Reaction score
I've tried very hard to like JAB stuff, but when it comes down to it, everything just fits weird and in the end I'm not terribly happy with it. I learned it was better for my sanity to buy exactly what I like even if it is a little bit more expensive. However, if the stuff fits you okay then I don't see the problem.

The quality of the materials is generally okay..... but generally everything is just too baggy and poorly cut. I'm a big guy and even their 14.5" sized shirts (i usually wear 16.5" slim fit) are too big for me. I bought a pair of pants there whos pockets flared out so much it looked like they had ears.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The second thread I started on this forum was about buying a JAB suit. In my case, I got their signature selection (or w/e it was called) for about a hundred dollars, which came down to more than 80% off. Thanks to posters here I returned it, because I trusted their opinion more than my own back then. Now, I know what I want and what to look for so I don't have to ask people whether I should buy something or not. But reaching that point took time and experience. If you have the least desire to learn about clothes do not buy a JAB suit. You won't realize why until later, but trust me, eventually you will. Just listen to everyone here and never set foot into JAB until you know garbage from gems.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a barely used Isaia suit off eBay for $150, so deals can be found. (granted it was a windowpane, not exactly staple suit)

eBay is tricky though, I would do B/S here on SF to stay safe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads