• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JoS. A. Bank - Quality/Contruction/Pricing Answers

DHoover

Reaction score
Mcmillin. I just started checking this forum out and see that this was dated back in 2009. I hope you can still respond. I have some questions that I hope all who read this start asking. Talking about your ties, your wording reminds me a like any Jos A Bank person I've ever delt with... a salesman bullshitter. When you say Italian silk, what are you saying? Do you know what you are saying, or is this what you've been told to say? I can throw the word Italian in front if toilet paper and all of a sudden it sounds nicer. Also, self tipped sounds fancy, too. But what does that really mean? Your wording is inviting, but its still deceiving. Every tie that I have bought from Jos A Bank has frayed no matter the how expensive. And would you please elaberate on your crazy sales? What kind of mark up do y'all have on one item to be able to giv 10 other items away, plus some chickens, and maybe some cows? If you're reading this and its not raising your eyebrows, then you are too irresponsible to be having money in your posession. Shopping at Jos A Bank is very irresponsible spending.
Admission: I am a store manager for JoS. A. Bank. Reason for post: I have seen SO much incorrect information about our products posted on this forum and would like to offer my services to answer questions with valid information. I know JoS. A. Bank is not very highly regarded on these pages, but a lot of what I have read is biased - if not completely incorrect. If you have any questions about our quality, fit, styles, fabrics, construction, sales, etc...please do not hesitate to post back on this thread. I will gladly provide you with the factual product knowledge and try my best not to twist it (too much) with my opinion.
cheers.gif

XFactor

Reaction score
Major sales on suits. Are the worth buying?

98 $ Seersucker - Center Vent

150 $ Wool Suit ( I got an M&S Pure Wool for similar price at 100 GBP)

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you like the cut, they're not terrible for that price. The big problem is that they tend to be really boxy through the shoulders, which can't really be fixed by tailoring.

brokencycle

Reaction score
The executive line suits are much lower quality than the signature line (not that the signature line is very good), but if you want a beater suit and it fits okay, $99 is a good price.

XFactor

Reaction score
The executive line suits are much lower quality than the signature line (not that the signature line is very good), but if you want a beater suit and it fits okay, $99 is a good price.
Hmm.. I guess they are not really recommended unless.. :)

PS: You are saying 99 good for the Seersukcer or Wool?

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score

Hmm.. I guess they are not really recommended unless.. :) 

PS: You are saying 99 good for the Seersukcer or Wool? 

I don't think the wool is good unless you really need a suit quick. The signatures will go down to $199 or so.

I also don't like JAB's seersucker because the shoulders are too structured for a cotton/seersucker suit.

XFactor

Reaction score
Quote: The signatures are down to 325 or 2 for 600 right now. What would be the MUST BUY price for them? Or Even 199 is just barely acceptable for the Signature?

There is one Signature at 150 or so. Would that be worth having?

Seersucker just went down to 73$

PS: I just saw they have a Signature Gold at 1000/ 15000$ Damn!

brokencycle

Reaction score

The signatures are down to 325 or 2 for 600 right now. What would be the MUST BUY price for them? Or Even 199 is just barely acceptable for the Signature? 

It all depends on what you want. The signature golds drop down to $300 all the time. If you're unfamiliar, JAB always has a sale -- they just rotate what is on sale.

Do you need a suit now? What do you need/want it for?

DC Beau

Reaction score
This thread makes me appreciate how biased I've been against JAB simply because of the terrible commercials. They seem low-budget, which makes me think the clothes are poorly made. Illogical, I know.

That said, one of my favorite dress shirts is a JAB that I bought in a pinch when I was out of town for a conference and needed a new one. One of your stores was connected to the hotel lobby--New Orleans, I think--, so I bought a Traveler shirt there. It's fitted, fits me perfectly, and looks great to this day although I bought it a couple of years ago.

Here in DC, the JAB on 12th has a nice selection, although I wish some of the styles were more adventuresome like Brooks Brothers just down the street in Georgetown. I'm thankful the prices at JAB are more reasonable than BB, though.

Thanks for this thread. I've been disabused.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The signatures are down to 325 or 2 for 600 right now. What would be the MUST BUY price for them? Or Even 199 is just barely acceptable for the Signature? 

Wait for the buy 1 sock get 7 free suits sale.

XFactor

Reaction score
Quote:
It all depends on what you want. The signature golds drop down to $300 all the time. If you're unfamiliar, JAB always has a sale -- they just rotate what is on sale.

Do you need a suit now? What do you need/want it for?
Do not have a super need.
Quote:
Wait for the buy 1 sock get 7 free suits sale.
I am guessing not to buy is the recommendation

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do not have a super need. 
I am guessing not to buy is the recommendation

JAB is fine for "cheap" entry level suits. But make sure to buy them on sale, since they are always on sale. My "one sock/7 suits free" is just a reference to how they IRL have 1 suit 3 suits free deals sometimes, which is just hilarious. The sales are so common and deep that it's fair to assume the sale price is the real price (which gives you a read on underlying quality), and anyone buying at full price is a sucker.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe that is the full price for the Sig Gold. They are not infrequently available at 70% off, at which point they become decent buys, I think, for those who can't or don't wish to spend very much for a suit. A price tag of $150 for a Signature is pretty good. I don't think they get below about $220 very often.

chenw87

Reaction score
JAB doesn't make any slim fit suits in the Signature/Signature Gold series. It looks like only the Traveler and Joseph series offer slim fit suits, which is a must for me. Are these lines any good?

XFactor

Reaction score
How are the Merino Wool Full Length and 3/4 Length Over Coats / Trench/ Down Coats?

They are $99 and All 100% Wool. Are they a good buy at that price given they are 100% Merino Wool Fabric. Since most other Over Coats on sale are Blends.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads