• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

jos a bank help

cesal

New Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I know jos a banks generally sells overpriced clothes that are always on sale. However, I recently started a new job and won a $500 gift card and im in dire need of some suits. Their current "sale" is for 177 for first and 57 for second which works out to 4 suits. Am I better getting other stuff or are their suits decent enough to wear.

Also if anyone has any advise on the different styles it would be greatly appreciated. I tend to like 3 button vs 2 button. I'm 6'3 42L 34x34 30 years old. I'm in business sales and they want us dressed conservative (white and blue shirts)

Thanks in advance
 

landshark

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2010
Messages
1,715
Reaction score
53
If you have a gift card, you might as well get some stuff there. You will likely need to get them tailored afterwards. You could just get one or 2 suits instead of 4, and then spend your money on some of their tailored shirts, a pair of allen edmonds, an overcoat, etc. They cut their clothes pretty full for the most part, so be sure to spend some money on tailoring. Otherwise, you will likely look sloppy. Good luck with your new job!
 

cesal

New Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the quick response. I tried to shop there the other night and haggled my way down to each trio suit being 179 was about to buy when they sprung the 50 per pair of pants for alterations. I hear good things about their traveler shirts. I already have a ton of nice dress shirts though. Either way thanks again and love the job.
 

NORE

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2010
Messages
5,497
Reaction score
304
If the suits fit fairly decently then you can opt to have them tailored elsewhere for less, assuming you just need the waist altered a bit and the bottom hemmed.
 

in stitches

Kung Joo
Spamminator Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Oct 10, 2010
Messages
69,954
Reaction score
32,966
sell the gift card to someone who already shops there and take your money elsewhere good luck at the new job
 

ns7

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2010
Messages
49
Reaction score
1
Wait until the signature gold comes on sale for ~$300. They'll have a 70% off all suits sale that should do the deal.
 

zipzap

Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2011
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
I didn't know you could haggle there. What did you say to the salesman?
 

btinl

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 15, 2006
Messages
1,790
Reaction score
0
Use the gift card to get some decent Allen Edmonds shoes from JAB.
 

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2010
Messages
3,145
Reaction score
194
Originally Posted by zipzap
I didn't know you could haggle there. What did you say to the salesman?

+1. I didn't know American companies let you haggle.
 

cesal

New Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2011
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I dont think they are your typical retail department store. I mentioned the buy one get two free, which is not currently being offered. They will "try to get you the old deal". My understanding is they have a store cost and anything above that is what their commission is based off of. The salesman offered 3 for 600 that day, their second offer was 179 for each trio set. They lost me with the 300 for alterations.

I tried selling the card to coworkers for 400 bucks. No takers, highest bid was 325
. Im going to give them a shot and do the 4 for 468 deal. Maybe they will last me long enough to get some good ones. As far as the sig gold they have online for 1st 438 and 2nd 97
 

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
2,970
Reaction score
289
you've gotten good advice, which is to use the gift card for allen edmonds.
 

classicusa

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2010
Messages
78
Reaction score
1
They had Sig Gold suits on their Deal of the Day last week or so for $197. Basic styles/colors, but that is a very good price for that suit. If you go after Allen Edmonds, make sure you get the 20% corp disocunt for anything full price. Unfortunately, the AE shoes are marked up considerably from full AE retail, so the discount is helpful, but not that great. Traveler shirts are ok if you get them Buy 1 Get 2 Free. Only buy when they have the deal you want. Or just wait, it will happen...
 

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2004
Messages
8,752
Reaction score
464
Originally Posted by cesal
I dont think they are your typical retail department store. I mentioned the buy one get two free, which is not currently being offered. They will "try to get you the old deal". My understanding is they have a store cost and anything above that is what their commission is based off of. The salesman offered 3 for 600 that day, their second offer was 179 for each trio set. They lost me with the 300 for alterations.

I tried selling the card to coworkers for 400 bucks. No takers, highest bid was 325
. Im going to give them a shot and do the 4 for 468 deal. Maybe they will last me long enough to get some good ones. As far as the sig gold they have online for 1st 438 and 2nd 97


Get a corporate card today. Tuesday and Wednesday they are having a 70% off sale on most of their suits. The deal you are talking about above involves the Executive line, as I recall, which is their low-end and probably best avoided. Two Sig Golds for $535 is really a very good deal if you need two suits. Sig Golds at a good discount are a very good value, I think. They're not great suits, but they're decent and good buys at less than $350 or so.

I have never heard that business about JAB marking up Allen-Edmonds shoes over full retail prior to the corporate discount. That was certainly NOT the case when I bought my last pair of A-Es through them almost two years ago.
 

ruben

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
1,646
Reaction score
27
I remember reading somewhere, either here or AAAC that while Jos. A Bank is always having some sort of sale, they do have a couple really big, deep discount sales a year.

I seem to recall something like $60 seersucker suits during one.
 

bjornb17

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2010
Messages
732
Reaction score
11
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Get a corporate card today. Tuesday and Wednesday they are having a 70% off sale on most of their suits. The deal you are talking about above involves the Executive line, as I recall, which is their low-end and probably best avoided. Two Sig Golds for $535 is really a very good deal if you need two suits. Sig Golds at a good discount are a very good value, I think. They're not great suits, but they're decent and good buys at less than $350 or so.

I have never heard that business about JAB marking up Allen-Edmonds shoes over full retail prior to the corporate discount. That was certainly NOT the case when I bought my last pair of A-Es through them almost two years ago.


They tend to mark up AE $20 over retail, so make sure you tell them that you want 20% off of the AE price, not the JAB price.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,099
Messages
9,192,040
Members
193,054
Latest member
oldrottenhat

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top