• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jos A Bank, buy 1 suit get 2 free. Anything decent there?

stylinnn

Reaction score
I got something in the mail with a buy 1 get 2 free on suits at Jos A Bank from the 1st to the 3rd. Does anyone have any experience with their higher end suits?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't believe they have higher-end suits.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually try to get an odd jacket from there when they have a good sale going.

You can get some good deals that way, IMHO.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that Jos A Bank is fine for very deeply discounted casual wear. I also picked up a perfectly fine linen suit from their website. However, I find the fabrics and cut on most of the suit lines to be unfortunate. If the deal is really, really good and you need simple basics for work mandated conservative business dress, you might give it a go, but I would think expectations ought be kept very low.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
I find that Jos A Bank is fine for very deeply discounted casual wear. I also picked up a perfectly fine linen suit from their website. However, I find the fabrics and cut on most of the suit lines to be unfortunate. If the deal is really, really good and you need simple basics for work mandated conservative business dress, you might give it a go, but I would think expectations ought be kept very low.

I agree. They have some great deals on casual wear, I don't own any of their suits.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the average guy, their suits are serviceable. Nothing great, but if you need a few basics you'll do OK.

I happen to have some trousers from them before I had $$ and knew any better. They've worn quite well.

I'm not giving you my recommendation, but if you want a couple of functional, cheap suits, they're OK.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
For the average guy, their suits are serviceable. Nothing great, but if you need a few basics you'll do OK.

I happen to have some trousers from them before I had $$ and knew any better.

There was a time, not that long ago, when they made decent stuff.

southbound35

Reaction score
Based on reading previous JAB threads, it seems many think their top line, Signature Gold, is a good value if bought at steep discount. If that line is included and you need some suits, I would certainly consider it. I bought a sportcoat from that line last year ($795 retail, paid $135 + alterations) and am pleased with it.

On a semi-related note, their Harris tweed sportcoats are currently 70% off (through 12/30, I believe), so $148 from $495. I was talking to a random guy last year who was wearing a great-looking brown herringbone sportcoat; I asked him where he got it and he told me it was from JAB. I doubt the construction is top notch; but, for a casual, knockaround jacket, I think it should be sufficient. I may pick one up at that price. I'm assuming the corporate discount would apply. If I get it and don't like it, I understand they are reasonable about online returns at the store.

Keon

Reaction score
Do they make anything slim-fit?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Keon
Do they make anything slim-fit?

They do have a line of a more slim fitting suit and jacket. Not truly a SLIM fit, but more slim than the usual. Keep in mind that they are a mall brand and they cater to folk with a 4" drop or worse. Accordingly, slim is relative.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
JAB stuff is affordable, although not spectacular. I wore mostly JAB suits for a period of about 3 years because it was readily available, inexpensive, and in my opinion significantly better than most of its competition in the retail market (entry level department stores and discount clothiers like Mens Wearhouse/S&K/K&G). Some things to keep in mind when dealing with JAB:

If you can get a corporate card, it's free and saves I think something like 20% off their regular price. That being said, I can't recommend you buy anything at their regular price. The only exception to this that I can think of is ordering a pair of Allen Edmonds from them with this discount and are not interested in acquiring seconds from their auctions online or in person at their Wisconsin area AE Shoe Banks.

A sale is not necessarily a compelling reason to rush into buying something. You'll see that in the past, they had to pay a $475,000 settlement in New York over their sale practices. The truth is that the vast majority of their clothes are sold on sale and not at regular price, so their list price is actually a rather gross inflation of what they actually expect to sell it for. Should the sale end, often times a sales associate there will honor the sales price afterwards if you ask. You might as well take your time to shop around for the best deal you can. Besides, if the sale ends, chances are there will be another in a couple weeks.

Their suits are cut rather boxily. Their best suit line that you can commonly find in the stores is the Signature Gold, and that can be had for $300-500 on sale. If I remember correctly, it has a floating canvas chest piece, but still has fused lapels and quarters. Pardon me if my terminology is off or this is not a totally accurate description... I am not a suit expert. The pick stitching on the Signature Gold looks machine done and tacky IMO. Not subtle at all. Even though I had two or three of these Signature Golds, I didn't care for the cut of them at all. In fact, I wore my cheaper Signature suit far more because it was slightly less boxy and the cut looked a tad bit more contemporary. Unfortunately, the Signature is entirely fused, although it doesn't look as terrible as many suits in it's expected actual sale price range, which is about $200-250. It is definitely functional at least. I got plenty of wear out of it before I sold them on eBay or donated them.

Now that I know a little bit more, I've been buying RL Blue Label/Polo suits off eBay for 400 or so. I also got a new Paul Stuart suit on eBay a couple years ago for pretty cheap, and recently I bought a Cifonelli off the for sale forums for under 200 in pretty much mint condition. That said, even a Signature JAB suit can look sharp if it's altered decently enough. Edit: My experience with them was based on about 3 years ago, so some stuff may have changed. Also, I wanted to mention that I switched away from JAB after I went to Brooks Brothers and found a Golden Fleece on sale for 500 dollars. Sometimes you can find these on their clearance racks, and it opened my eyes up to nicer clothes. They are full canvas made in the Martin Greenfield factory. Also, their 1818 line suits are decent too, and can be had on sale for 500-600 or so as well. Nicer fabrics than the JAB's in my opinion, floating chest piece (probably fused lapel though), and slimmer cuts like the Regent and Fitzgerald models are available.

indy116

Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
I'm assuming the corporate discount would apply.
My understanding is that it just applies to retail prices.. And I haven't been able to make it work on shoes online. Haven't tried in the store.

stylinnn

Reaction score
Thanks a lot everyone. I think I'm going to pass on this. It seems worth it to try 1 JAB suit, but to go out and buy 3 is a bit too much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads