1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Jones nyc suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by esquire., Feb 5, 2004.

1. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

esquire - Actually, there is no relationship between quality and turn. Sometimes your right and sometimes your wrong no matter the price. Sometimes a manufacturer will break out something unique that maybe we don't like so well and they want it in our stores. In cases like this, a rep might say that he will take back excess inventory to get it on the shelf, but not very often. Independents still need to be merchants. Department store buyers are not merchants anymore - they stay in the office and look at reports to dictate the merchandise selections. In many cases, the vendors take responsibility for the sale of merchandise and the profit to the store. No, we do not get too many discounts either. Not enough stores to bring alot in. I should say, however, that we really don't want this sort of deal. Most small, independent retailers are proud to still be in the business of honest merchandising, relationship building, and quality goods. It is just ashame that many customers are convinced that they got a good deal or that a particular garment is of good quality based on the label or that it was tailored properly when they so clearly did'nt get any of these things.

BTW, if you want a good explanation of WALMART's history, get his autobiography. Good reading. Very different company now. Please get to know your local stores. They should not be intimidating if you just introduce yourself. Most times during the day here, you will find our customers just hanging out, talking. Much like this forum.

2. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

RIDER- Going into boutique stores is intimidating in the sense that I feel that I have to dress up with my sharpest clothes. If I don't, I'll feel like an outsider and that I don't belong. I'm confused about why your store wouldn't necessairly want the discounts from the vendors. Isn't that a good thing? I thought that when stores had discounts, that many times, this discount was covered by the vendor so that the store was making the same amount of profit. Could you explain why you wouldn't want this discount. You're so right about customers and labels. I attribute this to the fact that most people don't know what to look for in quality clothing. I know I'm like that. If I see Polo, I think that it must be somewhat higher in terms of quality. You better go to another thread I started, concerning fashion and morality. I threw some things out there, that were in the grey area, like using employee discount. Don't worry. I don't do most of the stuff, except the employee discount. [​IMG] Right now, its about 50% for employee discounts. You better stop all that nonsense. It was most informative hearing it from your perspective. Again, I really enjoyed this discussion.