• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jonathan Franzen Backlash Thread

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Anyone else getting just a tiny bit tired of the mainstream media's sudden knob-slobbing of him? He is marginally talented at best. A poor man's John Updike, and even he was a colossal bore.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
We are in agreement, Doc. I just recently saw some blurb on how talented and important he is and it made me cringe.

On Updike: I love to read his sentences but not his books.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
What are they k-s-ing over him about? I've missed it, not being a very active consumer of MSM.

What little I know of him suggests he's annoying self-important. But I would disagree with "marginally talented at best". The Corrections was a really good, enjoyable book, and his earlier book about St. Louis was ok. He probably isn't as talented as he thinks he is, but that's an entirely different question.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
who dat

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
who dat

An annoying, nerdy, schmucky novelist that Time magazine recently declared "The Great American Novelist," and whose upcoming book has been called "The Great American Novel" by about 20 different papers and magazines.

It's an angst-ridden yawnfest about the secret struggles of a middle class American family. Because, ya know, that subject has never been explored in print or on film.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
An annoying, nerdy, schmucky novelist that Time magazine recently declared "The Great American Novelist," and whose upcoming book has been called "The Great American Novel" by about 20 different papers and magazines.

It's an angst-ridden yawnfest about the secret struggles of a middle class American family. Because, ya know, that subject has never been explored in print or on film.

Sounds like a literary Paul Thomas Anderson
ffffuuuu.gif

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I liked The Corrections. looking forward to reading his new book.
Sounds like a literary Paul Thomas Anderson
ffffuuuu.gif

I'd love to hear you qualify this.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
I'd love to hear you qualify this.
Feel free to search the cinema thread for the discussions of PTA around the time of TWBB.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Feel free to search the cinema thread for the discussions of PTA around the time of TWBB.

you think Aronofsky is "ground-breaking."
confused.gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
you think Aronofsky is "ground-breaking."
confused.gif

I'm not following this conversation - what point are you making ? Are you simply trying to say that you love PTA's work and that my comment above was unwarranted - and in order to get that simple statement out, you prefer to refer to unrelated things I wrote about another director?

I don't know if I wrote that Aronofsky is ground-breaking (I may have) but he is a very talented director with a lot of original ideas. He's no Orson Welles or Stanley Kubrick but he's strong and I don't continually roll my eyes when I watch his stuff (unlike most of PTA's). YMMW of course.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Are you simply trying to say that you love PTA's work and that my comment above was unwarranted - and in order to get that simple statement out, you prefer to refer to unrelated things I wrote about another director?

yes.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads