• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jonathan Franzen Backlash Thread

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Where's it from? I want to track down the person who wrote it and smack him in the special place where Franzen touched him.

It's from Nicole Krauss (about To the End of the Land by David Grossman) and you're more than welcome to smack her on behalf of me.

Ag229487

Reaction score
I took a course in college and we were assigned "the Discomfort Zone" and also had Franzen come into our class and speak regarding the book and his writing career which seems cool in hindsight now that he is well-known. Seemed like a nice enough guy and the book was half-decent. Don't hate on the guy, at least people are acknowledging something other than romance novels and vampire sagas.

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to revive this thread. I, too, find it so damn annoying that everywhere I turn people (and respectable literary institutions, mind you) are singing Freedom's praises. What a ****** book. Franzen sucks. He's a pretentious, arrogant prick. And a crappy author.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought The Corrections lately and was looking forward to reading it because of it's acclaim. Of course I picked it up because I wanted to start reading more fiction, and it was on some "new classics" list, and I didn't want to put more time into researching what to read than that.

For the Frantzen haters: Who/what should I be reading rather than this?

imightbechad

Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif

Originally Posted by sartorialism
I have to revive this thread. I, too, find it so damn annoying that everywhere I turn people (and respectable literary institutions, mind you) are singing Freedom's praises. What a ****** book. Franzen sucks. He's a pretentious, arrogant prick. And a crappy author.

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
I bought The Corrections lately and was looking forward to reading it because of it's acclaim. Of course I picked it up because I wanted to start reading more fiction, and it was on some "new classics" list, and I didn't want to put more time into researching what to read than that.

If The Corrections is anything like Freedom, I'd say read anything rather than this.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by riverrun
So they're printing the corrections over the weekend?

I love a good pun.

Originally Posted by Pennglock
Among a certain crowd-- left-leaning, with an interest in the arts but limited aptitude (sound like any mainstream book critics?) -- stuff like Franzen is always going to be extremely popular. It's the literature of recognition. They find in its pages everything they already know about themselves and their worldview, and get to feel clever and congratulated as they share the moment with an author expressing their thoughts with an eloquence they wish they possessed.

There's certainly a lot of truth in these words. That said, I can take it. Franzen writes characters that I see a lot of myself in.

Originally Posted by Brian278

Brian, I hope you read the book anyway. I found it to be quite funny and one of the most enjoyable books I've read in the past few years.

I'm sure I'll get taken to town for saying such things, but I think that to appreciate his writing you need to be able to appreciate a dry and subtle sense of humor. If you cannot, then the jokes and the references aren't funny. I'm sure for many they're still not funny.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
You know what sucks worse than Jonathan Franzen? Okay, nothing. But Jonathan Franzen caricatured cartoons are close.
29tanen-cover-articleInline.jpg
jc_franzen-af.jpg
Franzen.jpg
Frantzen_gr.jpg
mend190.jpg
d012cdce-bd05-11df-954b-00144feab49a.jpg

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In 30 years the SF intelligentsia (lol) will remember Franzen exactly the same way the current generation "remembers" Hemingway.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
In 30 years the SF intelligentsia (lol) will remember Franzen exactly the same way the current generation "remembers" Hemingway.
Please excuse my ignorance, but how does the current generation "remember" Hemingway?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to the posters in this thread, as a touchstone of literary genius, apparently.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Since when has "reflecting society" become the hallmark of literary genius, btw? That seems to be the sole criterion on which every Franzen apologist has hung his hat. And that's it. "I see a lot of myself in his characters" is a point made anywhere from here to Kakutani. Who gives a rat's ass? It's not enough to depict society in an accurate way; you need to have something novel (no pun intended) or profound to say about it. In that latter sense, Franzen falls fairly short.

Someone earlier in this thread made a comment about the "literature of recognition." Very true, in this case.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Since when has "reflecting society" become the hallmark of literary genius, btw? That seems to be the sole criterion on which every Franzen apologist has hung his hat. And that's it. "I see a lot of myself in his characters" is a point made anywhere from here to Kakutani. Who gives a rat's ass? It's not enough to depict society in an accurate way; you need to have something novel (no pun intended) or profound to say about it. In that latter sense, Franzen falls fairly short.

Someone earlier in this thread made a comment about the "literature of recognition." Very true, in this case.

You say who gives a rat's ass. I say I do. Often times I look at my life and wonder how did I get to a certain mindset or place in my life. I believe that reading about a character that has many of the qualities that I see in myself helps me to understand that better. To see what an author does in terms of seeing how other characters think of that person and treat that person helps me to understand what others might think of me or why some people act the way they do towards me. Does this mean that it gives me genuine insight into those around me? No, but it certainly helps me to rationalize it.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
Since when has "reflecting society" become the hallmark of literary genius, btw? That seems to be the sole criterion on which every Franzen apologist has hung his hat. And that's it. "I see a lot of myself in his characters" is a point made anywhere from here to Kakutani. Who gives a rat's ass? It's not enough to depict society in an accurate way; you need to have something novel (no pun intended) or profound to say about it. In that latter sense, Franzen falls fairly short. Someone earlier in this thread made a comment about the "literature of recognition." Very true, in this case.
I don't see any substance in this critique beyond the vagaries of "he's overhyped" and "boo Oprah book club." I would be surprised if you've read Freedom, because if so I might be learning what it is you didn't like about the novel instead of reading generalizations that can be applied to anybody.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
I don't see any substance in this critique beyond the vagaries of "he's overhyped" and "boo Oprah book club." I would be surprised if you've read Freedom, because if so I might be learning what it is you didn't like about the novel instead of reading generalizations that can be applied to anybody.
In his defense, I think his critique is more aimed at me than at Franzen himself. He believes that for somebody (in this case, me) to say that Franzen is valuable because he creates characters that others can see parts of themselves in, is not unique or special. To be special you have to do that first part and then say something about it. I believe that creating such characters and then sarcastically referring to their idiosyncrasies you are saying something about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads