Jon Green Sportcoat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mmkn, May 31, 2010.

1. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

I don't know how he does it, but he has certainly led me to shed many of the trendy things I have seen.

He has also certainly met my goals as a bespoke customer - relaxed look, timeless colors and proportions, and unobtrusive presentation.

His products are as sublime [or underwhelming if you prefer] as those JLP bespoke shoes.

Often, during our fittings, he or his tailor would say, "Now, that looks more like your jacket." I agree!

- M

Sounds like you're happy with his work, and ultimately, that's all that matters.

2. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

the jacket looks long.
    otherwise looks fine

Was about to say the same thing. Looks great all around although my preference would be for it to be around 3/4 inch shorter in length.

3. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

long

A wise mang once gave me some advice about this, and I am still holding onto his advice [​IMG].

timeless colors and proportions

Color: I was already a color freak by the time I met Jon.

Proportion: If one looked at the history of men's clothes proportions, I would venture that Jon's sense of proportions is in that [i.m.h.o.] greatest period of men's clothes - the thirties.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

happy

Yes! As anyone who has explored bespoke knows, pefection is not achievable, but "happy enough" is.

Once the article is "done," Jon has advised me to wear it with abandonment, and have fun! Great advice.

Ultimately "happy" is happy with the process more than the end goal, and that I am.

- M

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I hope, for your sake, that he eventually makes you a jacket with flattering proportions and none of the oddities on display here.

5. George

George Senior member

I hope, for your sake, that he eventually makes you a jacket with flattering proportions and none of the oddities on display here.
    Harsh, too much peppercorn in the Bearnaise, maybe? [​IMG]

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I was told that I needed to identify myself properly so as to avoid any suspicions of bias. This seemed to others the best identification possible. Anyway, the jacket is odd looking, as is most of what Green makes. It looks like a bunch of parts mashed together with no concern for the whole, or for any sense of harmony. Do not like.

7. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

no! it is long. sleeves are also too long
    the old length test was if you could cup the bottom of your jacket with your fingers.

I am not looking for a trendy shorter jacket.
    will this make you look taller? i think the theory works for a suit but not a sport coat.

did he mark the gorge line. it all seems very high. I guess it is easier to lower the gorge line. since raising is impossible without new fronts

8. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

It always amazes me how certain garments are highly scrutinized to the point of absurdity while others, which are obvious train wrecks, are barely mentioned or noticed.

9. Panzeraxe II

Panzeraxe II Senior member

Agree with iammatt and ET here - if this were presented as a Rubinacci or a Raphael or an A&S, people would have savaged it. Not a nice coat, and certainly not worth the $ charged by Green.

Interesting video here on Green: http://offthecuffdc.com/top-needle-b...ilor-jon-green

10. JohnnyCrockett

JohnnyCrockett Senior member

Just watched the video. How full of hot air is Green? Jesus. I couldn't take it.

11. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Just watched the video. How full of hot air is Green? Jesus. I couldn't take it.

While I remain unimpressed by his work, I didn't find anything objectionable with the video. Its a promotional thing, so one would expect some hyperbole.

Btw, the guy he's fitting is the North American head of LVMH. Shouldn't he be buying his stash from one of the designers in the LVMH stable?

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Agree with iammatt and ET here - if this were presented as a Rubinacci or a Raphael or an A&S, people would have savaged it. Not a nice coat, and certainly not worth the $ charged by Green. Interesting video here on Green: http://offthecuffdc.com/top-needle-b...ilor-jon-green
    Is this website+video real? I've seen parodies that are less obviously ridiculous. "I have a jet, a jet I tell you, I can haz luxury!!!" I love that he utters the empty "it's not fashion, it's style!", like there is a difference...

13. George

George Senior member

It always amazes me how certain garments are highly scrutinized to the point of absurdity while others, which are obvious train wrecks, are barely mentioned or noticed.
    Aye, there's more than a grain of truth in that, I have to admit. This may have more to do with who the poster is, rather than his tailoring. Boys will be boys, sad I know, I myself am not immune. There is also, an unfortunate tendency, to fuss over minutiae, which can be contagious.

14. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

long

Mr. G.,

I appreciate your comments.

This is the first wearing after the jacket has been "finished."

Of course, it's not "done."

Part of the bespoke service is an examination of the jacket after wearing it a while - another "fitting," if you will. This is the essence of bespoke to me, specifying and fittings.

Only fools would conclude anything about a garment based on photos.

I am simply enjoying them.

- M

15. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

truth . . . contagious.

Wise you are.

It is only clothes, just a fucking hobby, if you will. [​IMG]

We are not saving lives here [which I do on a regular basis].

- M