1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Jon Green Sportcoat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mmkn, May 31, 2010.

1. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

The beginnings of a TOB [Thing of Beauty] . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- M

2. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

wow, you're skinny!

sleevecap looks great, about 1-1/2 inches too long for my tastes. Any particular reason why such a sedate fabric/pattern? And is that why you chose peak lapels? Oh, and the front balance seems wonky in the last pic, but I truly don't know.

3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think those are not going to be peaked lapels.

4. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

wow, you're hwp!

sleevecap looks great, about 1-1/2 inches too long for my tastes.

Any particular reason why such a sedate fabric/pattern? And is that why you chose peak lapels?

Oh, and the front balance seems wonky in the last pic, but I truly don't know.

FIFY. 6' 1", 175 lbs.

Picture my wife holding camera at about buttoning point and walking around - Shoulder views are magnified and overangulated, and overall picture slightly askew.

Fabric pattern actually subdued. I am finding that I am replacing many of my RTW favorites from the 80's with bespoke. This one to replace a favorite FerrÃ[​IMG] jacket.

[​IMG]

It's just the beginning. The skeleton looks good, and the shavings begin![​IMG]

I think those are not going to be peaked lapels.

Correctomundo Mang - notched lapels, barchetta welt breast & patch hips pockets, double vents.

- M

5. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

why Jon Green, out of all the choices available in NYC?

6. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

why Jon Green?

A simple case of beauty in the eye of the beholder.

Except for certain parts of a Liverano & Liverano jacket and one of Manton's more or less unknown London maker's creation for him, what Jon makes for me I find most fitting and beautiful.

More importantly, the tailoring/cordwaining world is full of "The Emperor's Tailors," and Jon is one whose words match what reality is. It is telling that many of his clients bring their grandchildren to have him make timeless clothes for them.

- M

7. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

notched lapels, barchetta welt breast & patch hips pockets, double vents.

- M

Another one, in the elusive black-brown color; same styling.

[​IMG]

I must have spent a total of two hours over a few fittings looking at and rejecting "black-brown" swatches from various books.

Jon knows I respond emotionally to colors.

So, one day, he calls me up and says, "M, I found your black-brown."

- M

8. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

The night is young, wild life with my wife . . . how about this Gaja Costa Russi 2000 tonight?

[​IMG]

It's a go!

[​IMG]

Jon Green sportcoat, tie, pocket silk, trousers, socks
    Alexander Kabbaz shirt
    John Lobb Paris shoes

- M

9. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Nice M! Thank you for posting pics of the finished product. I know you are tall but the jacket is either too long or the buttoning stance is too high, I think. Might be the camera angle?

10. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

Nice M!

Thanks X!

Yes, although my wife is 5'10", it's respectfully known as the Scott Schuman camera angle (and foyer lighting [​IMG] .)

Button stance: I am more function than form on this. I usually request that the button I use be level to the point where my upper and lower body would bend sideways, thus functioning as a fulcrum.

- M

11. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Nice M! Thank you for posting pics of the finished product. I know you are tall but the jacket is either too long or the buttoning stance is too high, I think. Might be the camera angle?

+1; very nice to see how it has come together.

Perhaps a long shot, but is that you in your avatar wearing this spotcoat?

12. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

It is a Giorgio Armani ad from the late 80's or early 90's, I can't remember. I just like how the lighting does this "good twin, evil twin" thing.

- M

13. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

I'm kinda underwhelmed by the Green stuff, but perhaps its just the funky camera angles.

14. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

Green

I don't know how he does it, but he has certainly led me to shed many of the trendy things I have seen.

He has also certainly met my goals as a bespoke customer - relaxed look, timeless colors and proportions, and unobtrusive presentation.

His products are as sublime [or underwhelming if you prefer] as those JLP bespoke shoes.

Often, during our fittings, he or his tailor would say, "Now, that looks more like your jacket." I agree!

- M

15. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

the jacket looks long.
    otherwise looks fine

16. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

I don't know how he does it, but he has certainly led me to shed many of the trendy things I have seen.

He has also certainly met my goals as a bespoke customer - relaxed look, timeless colors and proportions, and unobtrusive presentation.

His products are as sublime [or underwhelming if you prefer] as those JLP bespoke shoes.

Often, during our fittings, he or his tailor would say, "Now, that looks more like your jacket." I agree!

- M

Sounds like you're happy with his work, and ultimately, that's all that matters.

17. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

the jacket looks long.
    otherwise looks fine

Was about to say the same thing. Looks great all around although my preference would be for it to be around 3/4 inch shorter in length.

18. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

long

A wise mang once gave me some advice about this, and I am still holding onto his advice [​IMG].

timeless colors and proportions

Color: I was already a color freak by the time I met Jon.

Proportion: If one looked at the history of men's clothes proportions, I would venture that Jon's sense of proportions is in that [i.m.h.o.] greatest period of men's clothes - the thirties.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

happy

Yes! As anyone who has explored bespoke knows, pefection is not achievable, but "happy enough" is.

Once the article is "done," Jon has advised me to wear it with abandonment, and have fun! Great advice.

Ultimately "happy" is happy with the process more than the end goal, and that I am.

- M

19. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I hope, for your sake, that he eventually makes you a jacket with flattering proportions and none of the oddities on display here.

20. George

George Senior member

I hope, for your sake, that he eventually makes you a jacket with flattering proportions and none of the oddities on display here.
    Harsh, too much peppercorn in the Bearnaise, maybe? [​IMG]