• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnston Murphy

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by codetomorrow
What's your opinion of Johnson & Murphy shoes?

They used to be good, but then as most American brands they went the low cost route. Now, you are pretty much getting what you pay for. Their "better" shoes are the goodyear welted, leather soled ones for around $200 or so. They are corrected grain, however can be resoled and refurbished by the company. The lasts are little to be desired in my opinion.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheap leather, not very stylish, made in china/india shoes. Not worth the money.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From my experience with J&M I have been more than pleased. First off, you have to understand people on the forums generally do not like brand names like J&M. I am guessing they will go after Two Boot NY, Ferragamo... But that's just a complerte guess.

I have 3 pairs of J&M shoes. Each cost under $100 but retailed for close to $200. 2 of the shoes are fine quality and have lambs skins inside and the bottom is leather and rubber which is a great workforce shoe. I have had 2 of their shoes for 4+ years and love them. The only thing I needed to do was get a pair of DR. Scholls as one of the soles wore down. However, they look great and are in style I get complemented all the time. I recently bought one of their shoes which are completely rubber soled and have not been as happy. But they are strong pair of shoes but are not as durable as the other 2. Like another poster mentioned some of their shoes are still great quality. I find them all B range ---> A range sheos.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the price you can find better. Unless you are looking at the $80 price point.

reidrothchild

Reaction score

I don't own a pair, but have tried on and/or inspected their line at one of their outlets. Their Aristocraft line is not bad, but it's not terribly cheap either. I think they retail for around $250, and they were selling at the outlet for like $160, if memory serves. For that kind of money, they're not nearly as nice as AE's. However, if you don't want to spend over $80 and are just looking at one of their plainer shoes (like a black captoe), I'm sure they'd be serviceable shoes that you'd get a lot of wear out of. Cole Haans are fairly comparable, and I've had a pair of those for about a year. Like the run-of-the mill J&M's, they're glued and have corrected grain leather, but they look fine and have not fallen apart.

mdp0430

Reaction score
They're disposable shoes. I was going through a couple pairs per year, so I started with going the AE route. I think I have 1 pair of JM left, I use them for rain and snow days. Spend about $50-75 more and go with AE, Loake or AS...

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Once a benchmark years ago, now easily eclipsed by shoes costing only a few bucks more such as AE.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
For the price you can find better. Unless you are looking at the $80 price point.

I got a pair of new AE's for $100, so if you are patient wait for a good sale or snipe some on eBay. I found mine here in the BS forum.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
I feel they are overpriced for their quality (like Hugo Boss). I was able to snag a brand new suede chukka's on ebay and the quality in that was great. It was made in Italy also which surprised me a bit. I've actually gotten the most compliments from these boots.

Nautilus

Reaction score
I have a pair that I got for $100. While the quality certainly far from top notch shoes costing 100's more, they look decent and are amazingly comfortable. Great for weddings or other events where dancing is required, and I don't care too much if they get scuffed.

WoolPants

Reaction score
I have owned 4 pairs of J&M shoes. It seems that they were better made 5+ yrs ago. I remember buying 2 pair and them being made in Italy. Excellent quality and I still have them. I'm thinking of getting them refurbished. But I'm not sure its worth it. I would rather spend that money on a nice pair of dress shoes.

Then I bought another 2 pair recently and they were made in India (??). Anyway 1 of the pairs ~$150 I returned twice (first time for exchange and second time for refund). The reason being that the sole started to separate from the body of the shoe, both times.

The other pair (Hyde Park II) ~$265, are very well made and unbelievably comfortable for dress shoes. However, the styling is pretty ugly. I'm almost embarrased to wear them with suits. However, they are excellent to wear with slacks or jeans. So now, I still need a nice pair of black lace-ups.

In conclusion: I will never buy another pair of J&M's.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are garbage. quality is not better than rockport, so the pricing is too high. and the styling of their catalog is mired in that west german/amjack/britjack/russian oligarch club hopper cool.

stay away. you must buy cheap shoes try the imported things from low-end business casual catalogs like lands' end, and only buy them on sale. better value and more neutral styles.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What AE shoes?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What are the Optimo style like that you see on eBay and that seem to look reasonably well made?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads