Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Johnston Murphy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by codetomorrow, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Patek

Patek Senior member

What AE shoes?

Allen Edmonds.

2. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

3. mco543

mco543 Senior member

I have 2 pair of J&M made in Italy boots that are awesome. I love them and wear them all the time. I most likely wouldn't have paid full retail for them but for the maybe 45-50.00 combined i got them for off eBay they're tremendous.

4. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Allen Edmonds.

Awesome, I've heard great things about those shoes also. They are another brand. It's a shame J&M aren't as reputable as they used to be. Like others including myself has said they are pretty good but don't necassirly live up to the repuation unless you get a good price. I've had some for 4+ years and love em

5. bing

bing Senior member

I picked up a pair of J&M boots that were italian made... regular price was $300+ but they were the last pair with a scuff on the sole and were like $120 or something.

I've been really happy with them. However, in general i agree with most things stated here. For me though, it's still worth walking through to find a good deal

6. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

they are garbage. quality is not better than rockport, so the pricing is too high. and the styling of their catalog is mired in that west german/amjack/britjack/russian oligarch club hopper cool.

stay away. you must buy cheap shoes try the imported things from low-end business casual catalogs like lands' end, and only buy them on sale. better value and more neutral styles.

... THIS

7. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Alle Edmonds are expensive! And they are all very old man/traditional looking shoes.

8. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Alle Edmonds are expensive! And they are all very old man/traditional looking shoes.

Neither of these assertions are true.

9. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

theyre a good deal at about 40 bucks.

10. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

Are there still any made in USA J&Ms?

Yes, the Crown Aristocraft line as well as the custom order line. The Crown Aristocraft has been reduced to black french calfskin only. They are not bad but for full retail you could do better. I was put off by the lack of finishing/refinement that the slightly older versions displayed such as closely cropped welts/soles, beveled sole edges and leather/rubber heels.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

theyre a good deal at about 40 bucks.

Funny you mention this: A few years back I picked up a pair of used J&M Limited tan cap-toes for $50 and figured they'd be adequate. To my surprise, they've held up very well despite the abuse they've taken, and even offer good support for my high arches. I had them re-soled last year and they continue to be a workhorse.

12. whymakemedothis

whymakemedothis Senior member

leather is thin, stiff, and plasticky looking
    AE are better shoes at the same price range

13. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

Funny you mention this: A few years back I picked up a pair of used J&M Limited tan cap-toes for $50 and figured they'd be adequate. To my surprise, they've held up very well despite the abuse they've taken, and even offer good support for my high arches. I had them re-soled last year and they continue to be a workhorse.

theres a few shops in nashville that have them priced from 30-40 without a box. The Limited line doesnt seem so bad...they also have a pair of cap toes that look remarkably like my AE Park Aves. On the flip side, theres a JM store that sells them at full price....no effing way would i EVER pay more than 30-40....and honestly, ive yet to own a pair of JMs at all....

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

theres a few shops in nashville that have them priced from 30-40 without a box. The Limited line doesnt seem so bad...they also have a pair of cap toes that look remarkably like my AE Park Aves. On the flip side, theres a JM store that sells them at full price....no effing way would i EVER pay more than 30-40....and honestly, ive yet to own a pair of JMs at all....

That pretty well describes mine, actually. If I found Limiteds again at $40 or so and not too much wear, I'd jump at it.

15. phailing101

phailing101 Senior member

I disagree.

I think you're getting exactly what you paid for as far as quality. A very good pair of shoes but certainly not the quality of $600+ shoes.

As for old man/traditional looking......there are a few staples they have been selling for years (Park Avenues) but they also have some very sharp looking shoes. I recently purchased some AE Strands in Walnut and I absolutely love them.