• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnston & Murphy vs New Republic Chelsea Suede

Maxy

Reaction score
E7RfG0H.png

https://www.johnstonmurphy.com/garner-chelsea-boot/12091.html?dwvar_12091_color=Taupe Suede

OR

XDRls3R.jpg

https://www.newrepublicman.com/collections/all/products/houston-chelsea-boot-2?variant=31219082179

I think J&M looks good to me but NR has been getting awesome reviews all over. What is the consensus over here about these brands? I would love to get AE but don't see them in this price range. Any other brand suggestion is also fine.

Kushcoma9000

Reaction score
I would say the Johnston & Murphy one is higher quality. Both shoe descriptions say they're "welted" but I can't see any stitching on the outside for the New Republic one, which makes me think their crepe outsole is glued (cement construction), whereas I can see the stitching on the outside for the Johnston and Murphy one (good year welted), which is a better construction. Speaking of outsoles, leather ones are better than crepe ones and seeing how the Johnston & Murphy one has leather (in combo with some rubber), that's the one I would go with. They both look sleek. Anyways, that's my 2 cents. If you're looking for a really sleek chelsea boot (Saint Laurent-esque) in general but for a relatively lower price but still good quality, I would check out Story et Fall (SeF).

Kushcoma9000

Reaction score
So I decided to call Johnston & Murphy to ask them about the construction on their Garner Chelsea boot that you linked above, and interestingly enough, they said it's actually "glued" aka cement construction (despite having the stitching on the outside, prolly decoration?). Lol. So it's glued just like the New Republic Ones. So between those two, I would just go with the cheaper New Republic ones, since they're both glued. BUT, if you look at this chelsea boot from Johnston & Murphy: https://www.johnstonmurphy.com/gabrielle-chelsea-bootie/11046.html?dwvar_11046_width=M&dwvar_11046_color=Brown Suede
this one is actually "blake stitched" AND it's $20 cheaper too (which is odd b/c it's a better construction than glued/cement) and about the same color. So if you were comparing this Johnston & Murphy blake stitched one with the new republic one, I would go with this blake stitched one

Last edited:

Maxy

Reaction score
So I decided to call Johnston & Murphy to ask them about the construction on their Garner Chelsea boot that you linked above, and interestingly enough, they said it's actually "glued" aka cement construction (despite having the stitching on the outside, prolly decoration?). Lol. So it's glued just like the New Republic Ones. So between those two, I would just go with the cheaper New Republic ones, since they're both glued. BUT, if you look at this chelsea boot from Johnston & Murphy: https://www.johnstonmurphy.com/gabrielle-chelsea-bootie/11046.html?dwvar_11046_width=M&dwvar_11046_color=Brown Suede
this one is actually "blake stitched" AND it's $20 cheaper too (which is odd b/c it's a better construction than glued/cement) and about the same color. So if you were comparing this Johnston & Murphy blake stitched one with the new republic one, I would go with this blake stitched one

Thank you so much for even calling and figuring the better one and your suggestion. I think I'll go with the Blake stitched for now in these choices.

Overall, what did you say affordable chelsea boot? The SeF? Didn't get what you meant there.

Kushcoma9000

Reaction score
Thank you so much for even calling and figuring the better one and your suggestion. I think I'll go with the Blake stitched for now in these choices.

Overall, what did you say affordable chelsea boot? The SeF? Didn't get what you meant there.
Happy to help! Story et Fall (SeF for short) is a company that makes very sleek boots like chelseas, jodhpurs, zipups, etc with great quality (they're either goodyear welted or blake stitched depending on which line you're looking at; I would go with the former), but at half the price or less than Saint Laurent boots. Their website (storyetfall.se) is missing some pictures and stuff but if you go to http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=3557793.0
you'll get a full explanation of how to navigate the website and stuff if you want to order. They're around $300 I believe on average. This is only if you want a Saint Laurent looking boot without paying the Saint Laurent price and without sacrificing quality (imo, the quality is even better than Saint Laurent b/c Saint Laurent chelseas are blake stitched, as opposed to SeF which can be goodyear welted)

Last edited:

Maxy

Reaction score
Happy to help! Story et Fall (SeF for short) is a company that makes very sleek boots like chelseas, jodhpurs, zipups, etc with great quality (they're either goodyear welted or blake stitched depending on which line you're looking at; I would go with the former), but at half the price or more than Saint Laurent boots. Their website (storyetfall.se) is missing some pictures and stuff but if you go to http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=3557793.0
you'll get a full explanation of how to navigate the website and stuff if you want to order. They're around $300 I believe on average. This is only if you want a Saint Laurent looking boot without paying the Saint Laurent price and without sacrificing quality (imo, the quality is even better than Saint Laurent b/c Saint Laurent chelseas are blake stitched, as opposed to SeF which can be goodyear welted)

Thank you so much. Very helpful to read this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics