• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnston Murphy vs. Cole Haan vs. Kenneth Cole (Shoes)

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who loves his Cole Haan Air dress shoes. If you con't feel the styling is dated I'd wear them.

4realyo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky7
I would say Cole Haan, Johnston Murphy, & then in 1,246,876th place Kenneth Square Toe Cole

I totally agree
lol8[1].gif

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uiriamu
I've actually never worn these outside, just tried them on a few times around the house. Should I try to return them to Cole Haan (they're discontinued), try to sell them on eBay or here or through Craig's List to recoup some of the cost, or keep them as a "bad-weather" shoe? I tried a pair of AE Cliftons at Nordstroms the other day, and they were so much better. I want to upgrade to AEs, but money's an issue. Should I try to unload them? Would an AE shoe be ruined in bad weather?
I'd keep them and wear them. They don't look particularly bad and they'll probably serve you for a while. You'd likely not get a big percentage of your purchase price back by selling them and I don't imagine it would be easy to return a discontinued shoe you bought 9 months ago. I'd wear them and not worry about it. While you're wearing them, save a little money for their eventual replacements and buy something nicer next time you get a pair of shoes. Edit: On a more general note, I have similar mixed feelings about Johnson and Murphy's. I've a number of pairs - some bought on deep discount at places like Filene's Basement, some thrifted for under $10 - and some have held up, some have fell apart. The new ones seem to have worn more poorly, but I guess I should qualify that by saying that I wore the newer ones a lot more as I had many fewer shoes when I bought them.

KPO89

Reaction score
Ok I am not afraid to admit I like J&M's I have a few pair and they have always treated me very well. My favorite is the Italian cap-toe Privott Oxfords....very very classy shoe. Snatched them on Amazon for under a hundred and the MSRP was around $250.

Here they are for your scrutiny....

http://www.shoes.com/Shopping/produc...LAID=247851730

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if you were looking to purchase a pair of loafers, to serve as every day casual wear at home, what would you buy? Not looking to spend more than $100 bucks.

hth2002

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uiriamu
I have a pair of Air Madero black captoes, that I bought back in Dec or January for $120 (discounted from $200). Pre-SF, I thought that I got a pretty good deal on a nice shoe (at least it wasn't conspicuously made out of cardboard like Kenneth Coles and J. Crew shoes I owned just out of college). I've actually never worn these outside, just tried them on a few times around the house. Should I try to return them to Cole Haan (they're discontinued), try to sell them on eBay or here or through Craig's List to recoup some of the cost, or keep them as a "bad-weather" shoe? I tried a pair of AE Cliftons at Nordstroms the other day, and they were so much better. I want to upgrade to AEs, but money's an issue. Should I try to unload them? Would an AE shoe be ruined in bad weather?
Keep them, you will only recover a fraction of the cost from selling. Buying new shoes will make you broke, if you don't have the cash. Your AE's will last longer if you wear them every 3rd day. If money is an issue, you can have the Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank add you to their email list. The shoe bank is the AE factory outlet for 2nds(new shoes with slight imperfections) and discontinued shoes(new shoes that are no longer made) for $129 plus shipping. That's only $9 more than your Cole Haans.
smile.gif
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...48&postcount=6 If you don't want 2nds or discontinued shoes you can check, you can check Jos A Banks store to get 20% off. The only problem is finding out if a certain shoe fits right, unless you have tried on AE shoes to figure out which last(shoe form) fit you properly. If you are feeling wealthier and need to have the shoes within 2-3 weeks, Jos A Banks is a great place to get AE for 20% off everything(including Cordovan) everyday. You shouldn't pay more than 80% of retail value for AE shoes. They can order any AE shoe, even the new Executive Collection shoes. It's only $5 shipping and handling. I ordered some shoes from the Executive collection, last week. Anybody can get the corporate discount, even if you are self-employed. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...e+discount+jab

cougarlicious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hth2002
Keep them, you will only recover a fraction of the cost from selling. Buying new shoes will make you broke, if you don't have the cash. Your AE's will last longer if you wear them every 3rd day.

If money is an issue, you can have the Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank add you to their email list. The shoe bank is the AE factory outlet for 2nds(new shoes with slight imperfections) and discontinued shoes(new shoes that are no longer made) for $129 plus shipping. That's only $9 more than your Cole Haans.
smile.gif

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...48&postcount=6

Wow, thanks for this info! I've been meaning to buy my husband new shoes (he currently wears Kenneth Cole REACTION...I know, I know) and was hunting around Ebay for some AEs. But after seeing this, I emailed the shoe bank and immediately got a list of everything on sale. Right now they have an extra $35 off seconds, so the shoes I was looking at online were only $120 plus shipping. What a great deal!

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That such J&M shooz would be offered for sale not here but in Japan is mildly hysterical
confused.gif

From cordos on down.

uiriamu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hth2002
Keep them, you will only recover a fraction of the cost from selling. Buying new shoes will make you broke, if you don't have the cash. Your AE's will last longer if you wear them every 3rd day.

If money is an issue, you can have the Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank add you to their email list. The shoe bank is the AE factory outlet for 2nds(new shoes with slight imperfections) and discontinued shoes(new shoes that are no longer made) for $129 plus shipping. That's only $9 more than your Cole Haans.
smile.gif

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...48&postcount=6

If you don't want 2nds or discontinued shoes you can check, you can check Jos A Banks store to get 20% off. The only problem is finding out if a certain shoe fits right, unless you have tried on AE shoes to figure out which last(shoe form) fit you properly.

If you are feeling wealthier and need to have the shoes within 2-3 weeks, Jos A Banks is a great place to get AE for 20% off everything(including Cordovan) everyday. You shouldn't pay more than 80% of retail value for AE shoes. They can order any AE shoe, even the new Executive Collection shoes. It's only $5 shipping and handling. I ordered some shoes from the Executive collection, last week. Anybody can get the corporate discount, even if you are self-employed.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...e+discount+jab

Thanks very much! This post is golden! By the way, since I have the box, receipt, and unworn shoes I think I might be able to return them to the store for a refund.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cougarlicious
I've been meaning to buy my husband new shoes (he currently wears Kenneth Cole REACTION...

I feel your pain...

randob300

Reaction score
I have an old pair of Cole Haan pebble grain with a Dainite sole that I use for lousy weather. I don't anything more than they're made in England and aren't bad beater shoes. Other than that, I can't imagine wearing any of these brands (except maybe some vintage J&Ms).

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I saw some of the Cole Haan top-line shoes this weekend. Total crap-o-rama. But better than KCs, yes.

Over-priced too!

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wearing J&M beater shoes for the last two years+ and they have held up extreemly well. I wouldn't think twice about picking up another pair on deep discount. <edit> btw, these were $200 retail Made in Italy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads